PDA

View Full Version : ???Time to leave, part 2???

boom1
04-02-2013, 01:26 AM
In response to the 'Time to leave' thread, I am looking to change my car car in September, currently a 2011 Avant 2 TFSI Quattro Black Ed, and am tempted by the BMW 330d X Drive M Sport Touring.
I'll have to be honest I have driven and loved Audi for the past 6 years, but the dealer service has let me down too many times. The main differentiator being the need/want for 4wd, which until now BMW didn't offer.
I am currently awaiting test drives in both the A4 Avant 3 TDI Quattro with sports diff, and the BMW.
Despite giving Audi UK several months notice they seem to be struggling to get me a 3 TDI to test drive, let alone one with sports diff. I did even say that I'd be happy to test drive a A4 saloon, A5 or A6 with that config as I am happy with the Avant, just wanted to sample the engine/gearbox/sports diff.
As I see it the pro/cons for both (before the test drive, if/when Audi pull their finger out!):

Audi:
Lower initial price (currently getting Drivethedeal price at £34.5k for A4 Avant Black Edition 3TDI Quattro S-tronic, with leather/alcantara, drive select, sports diff, daytona grey paint, RS6 style alloys)
Proper tyres, none of that run-flat crap
Higher intial, but lower 3+ years service price
Higher APR
Current A4 to be replaced in next year or two

BMW:
Higher initial price, but lower APR
Better residuals
Higher BHP, lower fuel consumption and tax
Poxy run flats, which on 19" rims would almost double the annual tyre costs
Having to sell my Audi winter rims and start again.
New model

Not experienced BMW dealer support before, but can't be any worse than Audi.

Have any Quattro people tried the X-Drive yet?

Anything else apart from the above pro/con's that I've missed?

Cheers

The Polisher
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
I found the 3 series BMW smaller than the Audi A4, which is why I dismissed it. Cabin feels cramped to me. However, my car buying decisions are now different. Ordered the A4 Avant with just me and the wife and one small doggie. Now wifey, me, 2 children, 2 dogs, bigger caravan................. hmmmm. A4 is too small, hence E Class Merc or BMW 5 series.

I think the 2 biggest things to consider is what you have mentioned. Audi dealers (in my experience) are excellent. So far, BMW sales have been "indifferent" towards me (but that might be because I am a fleet customer). Tyres, BMW do runflats and Audi don't. Ride and cost issues there. But, no reason why you can't put standard tyres on once the original set have worn out?