PDA

View Full Version : SE better than GT according to Carbuzz

cs2009
03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/VW-Golf-TSI-ACT-GT-Review-351

They are saying the sports suspension on the GT ruins the ride.

J400uk
03-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Interesting as I've read a few reviews of the 1.6 TDI SE criticising the ride because it has the Torsion Beam rear suspension. GT models all have Multilink.

h5djr
03-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I think the type of suspension used depends on the engine rather than the trim level. The 1.2 - 85hp and 105hp and 1.6 TDI have the torsion bar suspension in both S and SE trim. The 1.4 TSI and 2.0TDI in SE trim have the multilink as do the 1.4 TSI ACT and 2.0 TDI in GT trim.

It seems that it's possible to order any multilink suspension model with 'non-sports suspension' and change it between Normal and Sport using the Driver Mode Selection
(see the Owner Manual in a previous post - page 248)

cs2009
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I think the type of suspension used depends on the engine rather than the trim level. The 1.2 - 85hp and 105hp and 1.6 TDI have the torsion bar suspension in both S and SE trim. The 1.4 TSI and 2.0TDI in SE trim have the multilink as do the 1.4 TSI ACT and 2.0 TDI in GT trim.

Yes, that's right. Anything less than 122PS gets torsion beam, but 122PS and above get multi-link.

It seems that it's possible to order any multilink suspension model with 'non-sports suspension' and change it between Normal and Sport using the Driver Mode Selection
(see the Owner Manual in a previous post - page 248)

Presumably, that only applies if you have the adaptive dampers ?
I have the ACC (adaptive chassis control) on my car, and it doesn't really work that well. In terms of ride quality, the three settings of Sport, Normal and Comfort should really be renamed Totally dreadful, Dreadful and Poor ! (Mine is set permanently to Poor !)

cdgthreesalmons
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Drove a 2.0tdi GT and the weekend and was most impressed with the ride. Coming from a Mk6 SE, the ride quality was one of my main concerns with a GT model. But how wrong I was, the ride was supple, not hard at all but beautifully damped. In fact returning to my Mk6 Se it felt quite "wallowy" and "bouncy"!

DaveB666
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
VW Golf TSI ACT GT Review - The One to Go For? | carbuzz.co.uk (http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/VW-Golf-TSI-ACT-GT-Review-351)

They are saying the sports suspension on the GT ruins the ride.

Probably written by somebody old.

My golf mk6 has the 'gt suspension on an SE-spec car (very early bluemotion edition) and I absolutely love the harsh-ness of the ride (and I live in yorkshire!).