PDA

View Full Version : HDD Sat Nav 2013 Map Update Identification

jeznewsome
29-01-2013, 01:45 PM
After a faff with the '*******' I should finally take delivery of my 09 S4 tomorrow.

As a 'good will gesture' they are loading the HDD Sat Nav with the latest 2013 maps today. I know from a number of threads on the subject that dealer loading of new map database can be more miss than hit. Obviously I want to make sure that the maps loaded ARE the 2013 Maps. The system is an HDD MMI 3G High (according to the advertised spec of the car).

I believe that it may be ........ending ECE_5.13.7 ?

Does anyone have the definitive 2013 Map Database software code that can be read from the MMI screen so that I can check that they have actually loaded the right mapping?

I also assume that i should receive a box with 3 verification codes?

jeznewsome
02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Had some time with the MMI today a wasn't surprised to find the Nav database version: 8R0060884E_ECE 5.8.5 ....... I figure that this is the original database loaded to the car ('59 Reg) though I was told by the Audi Dealer that it had been updated.

At least I have the 2013 update box with the Activation code and number and the PIN.

More banter to be had with the dealer and Audi CS :-(

Lei Wang
03-02-2013, 11:09 PM
HI, where did you get the "2013 update box with the Activation code and number and the PIN"? and how much does it cost?

Thanks

jeznewsome
04-02-2013, 07:13 AM
The update came as part of a good willl gesture.

Any Audi dealer will happily relieve you of £200 for the update box but all this does is buy you a license for the update which must then be installed at the dealer, with them connected to their network. This will cost another £150-200 pounds putting the overall update at a ridiculous £ cost!

troc
04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
I remember a lot of hassle getting the Nav update last year for mine. Essentially, they coded my car with with the new serial number of the new Nav and verified this with Germany online and thought that was the end of it - they believed the update happened over the connection to HQ.

I told them the Nav database hadn't changed and they disagreed and showed me the new numbers in my MMI that indicated my car has the new Nav software - I showed them the actual database version was unchanged. We disagreed for a while - they reverified everything with Germany and told me I was wrong and it was new. I asked if they had actually uploaded anything and could they show me the box etc for the software. They went and got it and we agreed the number in the box was the same as the new one that was in my car. They also found an SD card..............

......... we inserted the SD card and magic happened :) - well the Nav software uploaded anyway.

It turns out the procedure has essentially two steps - both of which can happen independently and both have to work for the new software to be accepted.

1. You need the new software in the car - this comes on an SD card in the package with the serial numbers.
2. You need the serial numbers installed in the car and verified with Germany. This can only happen at a main dealer as it requires a connection with AUDI HQ whilst the serial number is permanently associated to your VIN.

if you only do #2, it will appear as if you have the new software, AUDI will think you have the new software but you actually have nothing new and if you only do #1, you merely lose some space on your HD to a database you can't access.

All to stop people pirating the software like they used to do with the DVDs

John

jeznewsome
04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
John, thanks for a detailed update,

They are convinced that they have done it right but it may be that they have not completed both steps. Interestingly I do not have an SD card but do have a box with 3 numbers in it.

I cannot believe that Audi make it so difficult (that many dealers appear to struggle to do it right) and also so expensive to update the nav.

I don't suppose you can have a look on the MMI and post your Nav Database Version number could you along with the year of the update.

thanks Jez