PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 B8 2011 TDI 2.0 (8K0) problem with engine oil MMI

eugesandy
29-01-2013, 10:43 AM
-

Hi there!

I have a question about this car- bought it last year and it has been such a refreshing change from my mondeo which just kept on breaking down! I know that this A4 doesn't come with a dipstick and I have already sent for a 03L115611E dipstick which is what, according to the forums, should provide me with a fairly accurate reading.

Here's the problem:

I'd driven about 3000 miles before realizing that this car 'can consume up to 0.5l/1000km' - the MMI display bar went empty at this point, but the text next to the bar stated 'Oil level OK' and no oil warning lights came on. I topped it up with 600ml of engine oil just in case.

Checked the oil level (using the MMI) again a few days later and the bar was full, with the text stating, as before, 'Oil level OK'. Since the car is still under warranty I had someone from Audi come round and check my oil level - he used a calibrating dipstick and found the level to be _below_ the recommended range (which is 24mm-44mm), therefore I topped it up by another 400ml of engine oil.

My worry is that I may have been driving around with 1l less than the recommended amount of engine oil and that no warning lights have lighted up despite this.

I booked the car in to the Audi garage - their feedback:

- the MMI is just a guide, go with the engine oil warning light not the MMI (and this is confirmed on page 192 of the user manual 'The oil level display is intended solely for information purposes. An oil level warning will appear in the instrument cluster if the oil level is too low')

- the oil level warning light should come on at a lower oil level (that is, much lower than the recommended minimum calibrating level of 24mm), but because Audi do not say at which point the warning light should come on, they have no other way of checking this.

- there were no faults codes in their diagnostic check

So I am concerned about driving around with engine oil below the 'min' level (or perhaps I am getting this 'minimum of 24mm on the calibrating dipstick' thing completely wrong...), though Audi are reassuring me that everything is 'OK'...

moptisam2
03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I see that the original post has gone. Is that what you want(ed) to remove? If so, why? I thought that it is a very useful post and an indication of possible problems ahead for some drivers. Are you saying that what you had originally said was inaccurate? If so, how?

Could you please explain?

Thanks

Guest 2
03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I can resurrect it and have a look ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

eugesandy
03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
moptisam2 and a6_chris, if you'd have a look at it i'd be really grateful :)

Guest 2
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
now restored :)

moptisam2
13-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Eugesandy

I have a TDIe 163 Technik. I asked the dealer re my buying a dipstick, and outlining your problem as the reason for wanting to buy one. The dealer told me that one is not available for my particular engine - they said it is type CGL 200077.

I contacted Audi Customer Services (via their web-site) to ask when I will be able to buy one (citing your problem....). That was three weeks ago. Since I have not received a reply...... I intend to write to the Selectapost Sheffield address and ask again. This time (as it is a bit difficult to adequately summarise your experiences) I would like to quote your entry in full. Is this OK with you?

I don't really relish the situation where I have a faulty indicator and, due to not having enough oil in the engine, I have a problem, especially if the car is out of warranty.

So far I have done 1600 miles but have not had to put any oil in and the reading shows 'Full'.

Pls let me know re your entry.

I will keep members informed re any answer I get from Customer Services.

Regards

glammr
23-08-2013, 08:39 PM
hi
did you ever rectify as my 2.0t says low but signs of over filling?