PDA

View Full Version : RNS 315 phone book problems

davemetcalfe
28-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Can someone please help before I destroy my phone out of frustration!?

I am experiencing a strange issue with the phone book on my RNS 315 and can't seem to figure out whats going on. My phone is an HTC Sensation XE (Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)) which connects to the radio without any problems. The names in the phone book are all loaded (after the initial synchronising message) but most of the numbers aren't! In other words you select a name and it says no number available. All the numbers are visible in the phone book on the phone.

I have tried everything I can think of. I've tried;

Saving the numbers to the SIM,
Deleting all contacts and re-importing them (both through Gmail and through a .csv file on the SD card),
Unpairing the phone and car,
Factory reset of the phone.

Nothing seems to help. I looked at the data in the .csv file this morning and there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern to explain what is going on either - for example 2 contacts had data in the same 2 columns (first name and mobile number only) - whilst both names appear when connected to the car only one of the numbers does!

Can anyone suggest anything else I could try?

Sorry for the ramble - I hope it makes some sense.

Many thanks.

Dave

davemetcalfe
30-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Quick update.

Last night I tried pairing an old iPhone 3g and my partners HTC Desire S (Android 2.3.5) and they both worked perfectly!

I then sent myself a vCard of a contact from my partners phone and added it to my phonebook. Re-paired my phone to the car and the new contact name was there but no number!

It can obviously transfer numbers across as my call lists (dailed numbers, missed calls etc) all appear on the cars screen, just not names and numbers together.

I have just spoken to someone from VW Customer Services who basically said my phone wasn't compatible and there was nothing they could do. He said they had tested up to Android Gingerbread but not more recent firmwares. Has anyone got a phone running Ice Cream Sandwich (different HTC or Samsung Galaxy S2/S3 maybe) to successfully pair with the RNS 315 and transfer the phonebook properly? I'm stuck with this phone until December so am not very happy at the moment!

Cheers

Dave

-M-
31-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Unless a new updated bluetooth module is available/becomes available thats the way it is unfortunately.

davemetcalfe
03-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Tried my brothers Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) and it worked perfectly. The issue therefore can't be the ability of the RNS315 to communicate with current versions of Android, rather a problem with the firmware on my phone. I can see a big argument with O2 coming up!

davemetcalfe
20-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Just thought I'd undate this.

Took my phone in to O2 who sent it away for repair. The engineer who looked at it couldn't find any faults so just re-flashed the software and sent it back to me. I am pleased to report that it now seems to be working perfectly so I guess there must have been a dodgy bit of code somewhere in the original software whhich was causing the problem.

Cheers.