PDA

View Full Version : Use Tesco Super Unleaded 99 octane!

VanWheeler
21-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Guy,

Bit of info, an independent test run on Tesco 99, Shell V-Power and BP 102 fuels and Tesco is almost as good as BP, but costs a lot less.

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

Where to buy tesco 99 fuel?

http://www.greenergy.co.uk/tesco_99_octane/where_to_buy.html

Hope this is useful, believe me it makes a hell of a difference over 95 octane fuel.

Cheers

Mark

Nezmond
21-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Already on with this, tried one tank of this and the normal and it made about 40 miles difference on the tank with similar driving!!

Plus the bonus is that it is only 95.9 per litre:D

MalcQV
22-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Cheers, will look up a local one ;)

bora(ing) nick
22-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Some good advise, but any idea who does the best diesel for the VAG PD engine range?

Cheers

Nick

dessimpson
22-08-2007, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole......

My car's a diesel ;)

I always filled up with optimax/v-power when i had my evo. Mainly because it's the best fuel and the car needed 98 ron to run properly. When i moved to Northern Ireland i used Sainsbury's super (BP Ultimate in NI) and when i had the car on the rolling road the bloke said it was suffering from detonation at high revs. So if the Tesco's stuff is nearly as good as BP then that doesn't really say much :confused:

VanWheeler
22-08-2007, 03:06 PM
No, the tesco stuff is nearly as good as the BP 102 Octane fuel (meant to be for track days etc), not there standard Ultimate at 97 octane.

Ben
22-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Not available in the midlands, unless my eyes are faulty;)

dessimpson
23-08-2007, 11:21 AM
No, the tesco stuff is nearly as good as the BP 102 Octane fuel (meant to be for track days etc), not there standard Ultimate at 97 octane.

I didn't read the whole article but am i right in saying that all the cars still had their standard ecu's?? If so then what's the point? Aren't all uk cars mapped to run on fuels between 95-98 ron so without a remap thery're not really taking advantage of the better quality fuels??

I've have been wrong before though (many times ;))

MalcQV
23-08-2007, 12:56 PM
With regard to the ECU's I know later Ferraris e.g F355 have the ability to learn so the engine gets the best of whatever RON fuel you use.

My old Mondial is not that clever but does benefit from 97+

I am sure modern VAG are like the F355 ;)

VanWheeler
23-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Correct all modern ECU's adapt to surrounding conditions, Fuel, Heat, air, how you drive etc etc. This is why after a remap It can take a few milkes to get the full benefit.

With regard to the ECU's I know later Ferraris e.g F355 have the ability to learn so the engine gets the best of whatever RON fuel you use.

My old Mondial is not that clever but does benefit from 97+

I am sure modern VAG are like the F355 ;)

dessimpson
24-08-2007, 08:57 AM
They may be able to adapt, but it has its limits. A standard ECU can not take full advantage of 102 ron fuel. Otherwise why do people spend so much money on remaps and aftermarket ECU's?

VanWheeler
24-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Very True, but a standard ECU will adapt to 99 very well.

RickT
25-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I use Tesco 99.. and noticed the differenace after about 20 miles of so...

Whenever i fill it up with Tesco i also reset the codes on the car so it relearns the fuel..

RickT

scotty33
25-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I recently started using Shell V power in my Audi 2.3 20v coupe. Being a 1990 car it does not come into the 'modern' category:(.
I started using the stuff as an experiment, just to see if it gave better economy. I did not expect any performance gain at all. Being cat equipped, the car is mapped for 95 ron fuel...
I did get a small improvement in economy approx 1-1.5mpg it seems, but I keep on using it because the car drives better on it.
As I understand it, at part throttle, the ECU tries to run as much advance as possible, then retards slightly when knock is encountered. This would explain the improvement in mpg, and part throttle response.
As I understand it, the ECU runs off preset values at wide open throttle, this is why I did not expect any improved performance. What I have found, is that the car runs consistently well. Have you noticed that your car can be sluggish on a hot day, but on a cool evening blast, it seems to go better? well on the V power I seem to have that, even on a hot day. I guess this is due to the car 'knocking' on 95 fuel on a hot day, when this happens it retards timing to it's 91 octane map. On the V power, it does not knock, so stays on the 95 map at all times?
The mpg gain does not justify the extra cost of the fuel, but improved drive does it for me. I hope Tesco are over their quality control issues.
If my understanding of the ECU function is wrong, please explain.
If you fell asleep reading this long winded post, I apologise:o

MalcQV
28-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I recently started using Shell V power in my Audi 2.3 20v coupe. Being a 1990 car it does not come into the 'modern' category:(.
I started using the stuff as an experiment, just to see if it gave better economy. I did not expect any performance gain at all. Being cat equipped, the car is mapped for 95 ron fuel...
I did get a small improvement in economy approx 1-1.5mpg it seems, but I keep on using it because the car drives better on it.
As I understand it, at part throttle, the ECU tries to run as much advance as possible, then retards slightly when knock is encountered. This would explain the improvement in mpg, and part throttle response.
As I understand it, the ECU runs off preset values at wide open throttle, this is why I did not expect any improved performance. What I have found, is that the car runs consistently well. Have you noticed that your car can be sluggish on a hot day, but on a cool evening blast, it seems to go better? well on the V power I seem to have that, even on a hot day. I guess this is due to the car 'knocking' on 95 fuel on a hot day, when this happens it retards timing to it's 91 octane map. On the V power, it does not knock, so stays on the 95 map at all times?
The mpg gain does not justify the extra cost of the fuel, but improved drive does it for me. I hope Tesco are over their quality control issues.
If my understanding of the ECU function is wrong, please explain.
If you fell asleep reading this long winded post, I apologise:o

Nope sounds good to me. Not used it in my Passat yet (tesco 99) but may try it soon. My Mondial has always had shell of BP 97 with octane booster to take it to 99. I have just put the Tesco 99 in and hope as you say the QC is good, as an engine failure would be catastrophic and game over :o

scotty33
28-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Malc, I thought the problem was excess silicone in the fuel, killing lambda sensors? If the mondial is pre lambda then you should be immune!;)

MalcQV
28-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Malc, I thought the problem was excess silicone in the fuel, killing lambda sensors? If the mondial is pre lambda then you should be immune!;)

Yep, you are right, no lambda sensors. Still don't fancy sand in my engine though :p

Marts Golf
30-08-2007, 11:07 PM
i havea friend that works at a tesco fuel station he spoke 2 a tanker driver who said the only difference between the tesco higher octane fuel and the bp ultimate is basically the tankers they are caarried in :D regarding the diesel dont run it on biodisel its really cheap and its legal but apparently it has a past time for knackering the diesel engines due to lack of special additives in the ordinary stuff!!!

D a n
31-08-2007, 04:42 PM
I have never used Tesco 99 consistantly in a ECU equipped car, although my 730i BMW used to run smoother on Optimax and BP ultimate. I didn't notice any power gains (I always put it down to me driving more enthusiatically...) more importantly, it did a brilliant job of cleaning the valves and head as the second time I had the big six in bits, it was nice and clean! I don't know whether Tescos utilises a similar detergent package in their fuels.

VanWheeler
31-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Have a read on that site, should give you most of the info you are after.

Cheers, Mark

I have never used Tesco 99 consistantly in a ECU equipped car, although my 730i BMW used to run smoother on Optimax and BP ultimate. I didn't notice any power gains (I always put it down to me driving more enthusiatically...) more importantly, it did a brilliant job of cleaning the valves and head as the second time I had the big six in bits, it was nice and clean! I don't know whether Tescos utilises a similar detergent package in their fuels.

AudiRS4
21-03-2008, 09:26 AM
:D Many thanks for the link to Thorney Motorsport. I will stop paying BP and Esso's prices from now on.

barnsleyman
22-03-2008, 12:53 AM
i havea friend that works at a tesco fuel station he spoke 2 a tanker driver who said the only difference between the tesco higher octane fuel and the bp ultimate is basically the tankers they are caarried in :D regarding the diesel dont run it on biodisel its really cheap and its legal but apparently it has a past time for knackering the diesel engines due to lack of special additives in the ordinary stuff!!!
yes it can bugger the engines,im a truck driver and my boss, in his wisdom decided to give the bio a go,,,engine no good now:o,very expensive mistake,strange tho vw are the only manufacture who say its ok to go in there engines,ok the trucks no vw, but i wouldnt risk it now.

B16BFR
22-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Well it's always useful to have people researching. Good job for the find. Always got to think of them pennies.