PDA

View Full Version : Question Clutch for a 2.2T - bit stuck...

coyoteboy
27-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to find a clutch that fits my flywheel and gearbox - the flywheel is the 034 motorsport v8 insert which supposedly uses the clutch from the URS4/S6 and works with the o1e gearbox, but when I search for clutches for that car it usually comes up with a friction disc spline size of about 20.4mm (24 tooth). This isn't the same as the 01E input shaft (23.something mm diameter, 24 tooth spline).

I started hunting for other 240mm clutches in the range that could hold the torque of an ABZ, and would fit the same flywheel arrangement as that found on my flywheel insert, while having the correct spline.

Obviously I could buy a 240mm spring plate from the 2.2T I5 engine to match the flywheel, then track down a friction disc from any car with an 01E, but then I'm a bit stuck if they have any incompatibilities.

Any advice would help here, if anyone can think of a suitable clutch, or point me to a reasonably priced source of clutch parts who might help me filter out the possibilities.

scotty33
27-01-2013, 11:02 PM
There was a S6+ that was 4.2 V8 with 01E from the factory:

Audi S6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_S6#Audi_S6_PLUS)

Most of the original 'V8' models were auto but there were a few of those with manual too 5 and 6 speed as it turns out:

Audi V8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_V8)

The 2.2t I5 ABY s2 and AAN s4/s6 all use the 01E if that helps?

Have you actually measured parts at the dims you state? I wonder if the plate spline is given as the 'minor' diameter and the gearbox spline as the 'major' hence the discrepancy?

As I understand it, the 7A 20v has the same clutch as the early 3B s2 I have one of those I could measure maybe tomorrow? Maybe browse LUK or Sachs websites too, you might dig up some specs? Be worth checking the projects section at motorgeek forum, I'm sure v8-manual box has been done plenty of times there.

coyoteboy
29-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Hmmm that's curious, the places I've hunted for AAN engine'd cars have suggested they're smaller diameter. I'll re-check with some of your suggestions, cheers!

I measured my input shaft diameter (external dims) and I know the clutch is to be a 240mm diam from the specs.

scotty33
30-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I just measured my 7A gearbox spline at 23.5mm and indirectly measured the clutch centre at 20.35mm - this was the size of the 14mm socket which I used as a 'gauge', probably .1-.2mm smaller than the id of the spline so probably around 20.5mm i.d.
It would not make sense for the AAN would have a smaller clutch than a n/a 7A 20v (fwiw, I think the 6A/ACE 16v is also 240mm)

coyoteboy
31-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for that! Well I've spent a while hunched over webpages and catalogues and found that there's just a bit of disparity between them, in reality it seems that an AAN engined A6 with the has exactly the clutch I want, and it's relatively easy to get hold of for cheap (£180). Thanks for your help!