PDA

View Full Version : Bi-xenon lights don't have LED DRLs

G0rdon
27-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Can confirm that the Bi-xenon light option doesn't come with LED DRLs as shown in 99.9% of all online images, the U.K. brochure and the TV ad currently running.

instead, the bit that you see lit up is in fact just a bit of decorative chrome, as is the inner equivalent.

What the DRLs consist of are halogen bulbs within the inner lamp assembly.

The dipped and main beam xenons are brilliant, though, pardon the pun!

Evil Dan
27-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Quelle surprise!

i think the LED DRLs are the ones with the dynamic cornering function and what an amazing surprise, they aren't available in the UK.

It's like they've sent us the dregs of the barrel rather than a fine German beer.

h5djr
27-01-2013, 09:49 AM
According to the ETKA parts catalogue there are 4 types of headllights used on the Golf VII

1. headlight for halogen bulbs
2. headlight for gas discharge bulbs
3. headlight for gas discharge bulbs with curve light and LED DRLs
4. headlight for gas discharge bulbs with dynamic main beam control and LED DRLs

So it seems that, unless the car is ordered with the Dynamic Light Assist, it will have a normal 24w bulbs for the DRLs. Mind you so many cars have LED DRLs these days that in some ways its quite nice to be different.

glospete
27-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Are you saying that the image such as the one below shows what we will be getting (with Xenon lights) but that the DRLs are not using LEDs but ordinary bulbs or that we'll be getting what the Golf VI had. I'm a bit confused.

Neil Ramsay
27-01-2013, 04:25 PM
This is getting ridiculous, first they get the spec wrong in the launch price list, amended but still wrong in Dec price list.

Then they build a number of GT models without folding mirrors etc, follow that up with non-memory, non-electric lumber seats and now top it off with no LED driving lights.

They sure know how to take the shine of a new car, next time round I'm waiting a year from launch till VW AG and UK get their act together and the cars can actually be poked and prodded. Never believing a brochure or price list again.

Disenchanted first time VW buyer.

glospete
27-01-2013, 04:38 PM
This is getting ridiculous, first they get the spec wrong in the launch price list, amended but still wrong in Dec price list.

Then they build a number of GT models without folding mirrors etc, follow that up with non-memory, non-electric lumber seats and now top it off with no LED driving lights.

They sure know how to take the shine of a new car, next time round I'm waiting a year from launch till VW AG and UK get their act together and the cars can actually be poked and prodded. Never believing a brochure or price list again.

>>Then they build a number of GT models without folding mirrors etc<< - I hadn't heard that one! How did you find that out?

Ordering my GT I broke my own rules:

1. never buy a new model within the first 12 months
2. never buy a car that I've not test driven

So it's my own stupid fault (and I hope and pray that I won't live to regret rule 2) but like you Neil I am another disenchanted first time VW buyer. I really cannot believe this company who are supposed to be a success within the industry. Just imagine what they'd be like if they got their act together as well. I will be writing a long letter to the MD of VW UK after I get my car in March. Does anyone know his/her name?

J400uk
27-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I suspect the LED DRLs will be reserved for the GTD, GTI and R.

h5djr
27-01-2013, 05:36 PM

If my experience with Audi is anything to go by the problem lies with VW UK rather than VW Germany. They seem to have difficulty is specifying to the factory exactly which items they want as standard and which they want as options on UK models. UK versions tend to differ quite a lot in spec to those sold in continental Europe where they are generally sold in a more basic form with most of the 'goodies' only being available as options. The UK has a much bigger comapny car and lease market which tends to prefer more items to be standard rather than optional extras.

Evil Dan
27-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I suspect the LED DRLs will be reserved for the GTD, GTI and R.

They are available on all spec cars as an option on the continent.

It's more likely an inability of VW UK to tell the gluteal muscles from an olecranon.

mcikupton
29-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I have just taken delivery of a white mk7 2.0 GT diesel with various extras including bi-xenon headlights. It was not a factory order but a car that was in the country that nearly matched my requirements. Needless to say, I jumped at it was available in less than 2 weeks.

I picked it up on Friday.

I was extremely disappointed to see the car had halogen DRL's and not LED's as featured in all the pre-release reviews and photo's. I complained to the dealer and was told that VW (by email that I have seen) told then on Friday 25th that 'please be aware that this option (bi-xenon) has halogen daytime running lights and not the U-shaped LED DRL's as featured in some of our marketing materials'

A little bit late for me and I have complained to VW. Watch this space.

mcikupton
29-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I have just taken delivery of a white mk7 2.0 GT diesel with various extras including bi-xenon headlights. It was not a factory order but a car that was in the country that nearly matched my requirements. Needless to say, I jumped at it was available in less than 2 weeks.

I picked it up on Friday.

I was extremely disappointed to see the car had halogen DRL's and not LED's as featured in all the pre-release reviews and photo's. I complained to the dealer and was told that VW (by email that I have seen) told then on Friday 25th that 'please be aware that this option (bi-xenon) has halogen daytime running lights and not the U-shaped LED DRL's as featured in some of our marketing materials'

A little bit late for me and I have complained to VW. Watch this space.

Sorry, see photo19316

G0rdon
29-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Let's see if we can find some marketing material that doesn't show the LED DRLs!

I think "all of our marketing materials" would be a better description!

mcikupton
29-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Let's see if we can find some marketing material that doesn't show the LED DRLs!

I think "all of our marketing materials" would be a better description!

Absolutely; I'm not stupid, I thought long and hard before deciding on a golf. I looked at virtually everything that was out there, photo's, video reviews etc. and it all showed LED DRL's. I figured they would really stand out and and look the part. Even Kia's have LED running lights for god's sake.

I have been told by VW customer service they are aware of the issues and my complaint has been passed up the chain. I'm not happy!

BenR
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Why would anybody want LED daylight running lights? They make you look like a chav muppet who spends too much time in Halfords.

h5djr
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Why would anybody want LED daylight running lights? They make you look like a chav muppet who spends too much time in Halfords.

When Audi first introduced them the were quite exclusive, but now everything has them. It's nice to be a little different and go back to just normal bulbs. Personally I think some of best DRLs around at the moment are those on the Golf VI.

a5ian300zx
10-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi All,

I was really looking forward to the DRl lights on the new Golf as a optional extra because the make the car stand out, a bit like the BMW angel eyes. But i was told by the dealer that they are not available like that in the UK but with chrome bits instead (which i had a demo of on a GTI and they did not look good at all) this is because of the DRL LED being too blue for UK regulations or something (i don't believe this as Audi and BMW have a more blue DRL).

I did say to him that if VW change it back to the DRL running lights would i be able to get them swapped out, short answer NO, for an option you are paying a 1K for you would this they would make it worth the cost, not some basic Xenons which any one could do with an after market projector headlights and HID Kit for the fraction of the cost.

PS: you can tell the difference between cheap chav add-ons to the real factory fitted ones and for me the chrome bit are more chavy then the DRL.

Thanks

steve scott
17-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I was also caught up ordering the xenon lights because they looked great with the LED DRLs and then finding out two days before pick up that halogen DLRs had been fitted. All I can suggest is that you contact VW UK directly on this matter who will either be able to sort out a solution for you or not... either way, the option is not being delivered as advertised so you're quite within your rights to refuse to accept delivery of the car if you don't like it.

J400uk
17-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Someone on the other forum got a full refund for the xenon lights due to this, so essentially a free upgrade!