PDA

View Full Version : Washer jets - are they heated?

fat controller
24-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Since getting my A4 I have been impressed by the windscreen washer jets (best I have ever had to be honest), and even more impressed since the onset of the current cold snap - not once has the performance of the washer jets even diminished, let alone failed to work - - are they heated on the A4.

I think mine is an SE Executive if it makes any difference.

Guest 2
24-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Yep heated as standard :D

Although your wash fluid will still freeze if the correct mixture of screenwash isn't used :rolleyes:

YawnGumbo
25-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Are they heated on all models (I've got an SE Technik) as I thought you had to spec them as part of something else (heated windscreen?)?

Dieseldoos
25-01-2013, 07:15 AM
When I first got my car, I went to my local dealer to get a new pair as mine were blocked solid! I do remember there was 2 types, normal and heated. (Mine were heated so cost a little more).

NickH A4
25-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Also is the heating triggered by the heated wing mirrors or do they use the external temp measure?

theskyfox
25-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Mine have still managed to freeze on a few occasions. Managed to reduce the occurence by increasing the strength of the screenwash though. Would be interested to know same as the guy above...at what point they defrost themselves and what triggers it.

-Andrew

NickH A4
25-01-2013, 12:04 PM
I wonder if one day the price of screen wash will overtake the price of malt whisky? Much like soft drinks and beer down the local pub!

fat controller
25-01-2013, 05:02 PM
I use the Halfords double concentrate screenwash, diluted as per the instructions and have never had it freeze - plus it doesn't stink badly like some others.

Thanks all :) - good to know yet another thing about my car! The Audi really is in a different class to the VW.

Jason Carson
25-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I would also like to know if they are standard on all models. Or maybe a list of models which do and don't.

SunnyBard
26-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I wonder if one day the price of screen wash will overtake the price of malt whisky? Much like soft drinks and beer down the local pub!

I went to buy a few bottles of generic VAG Screenclear "G 052 164 M2" that comes in a bottle similar to an oil bottle, the chap from the parts dept came back with Audi specific Antifrost "00A096320-020" that looked more like a shampoo bottle

it was twice the price and he confessed that was what they filled with during services ... I stuck with the 4 quid stuff

ScottyUK
26-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I've been using the silver/grey bottles of screen wash (the 4 quid stuff) for about 12 years and I've never had any issues. I normally mix 25% wash to 75% water and it never freezes and clears the grease and grime well.

I've now got plenty of bottles premixed in the garage with a couple ready to be mixed down.

fat controller
26-01-2013, 09:11 PM
That's the one Scotty - it has a smell that reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.

SunnyBard
26-01-2013, 09:29 PM
it has a smell that reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.

I've seen some people describe it at "lemony" to me it's a bit more like Evostick ...