PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust emissions warning light

Victoria
18-06-2006, 06:23 AM
My 2002 polo has been difficult to start recently when engine is still warm - OK from cold. Now the exhaust emissions warning light has come on. Would I be advised to take it to the VW dealer or my local garage which is literally a stone's throw away? Is it OK to drive the car far? - I don't want to cause more damage.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

stuart
18-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi, Sorry for the delay in the reply, just got back off holiday.

I would advise taking it to a garage, and avoid driving too much until you find out what has brought the light on. It could be a sensor faulty.

Any garage with the ability to plug the car into a diagnostic machine should be able to help.

Stuart

Victoria
19-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Many thanks, Stuart. Am now in the process of booking the car in with the dealer. Unfortunately our local garage does not have the facility to sort the problem out which is a real shame!

Victoria
21-06-2006, 09:25 PM
In case anyone is interested in the result of this problem - I collected my car today and apparantly it needed a new temperature sensor. All sorted now. I just hope this isn't the start of any more problems! I really would like to take the car in future to a more local garage rather than the dealer - is it likely that a local garage would have the computer equipment to sort out such problems or do they have to be left to the big dealers? Anyone else had experience of this?

stuart
21-06-2006, 09:50 PM
In case anyone is interested in the result of this problem - I collected my car today and apparantly it needed a new temperature sensor. All sorted now. I just hope this isn't the start of any more problems! I really would like to take the car in future to a more local garage rather than the dealer - is it likely that a local garage would have the computer equipment to sort out such problems or do they have to be left to the big dealers? Anyone else had experience of this?

Thanks for keeping us updated :)

For some reason, there is a common fault with some temperature switches on VW's. The common ome is a green 4 pin switch, which is a common failure for some reason.

You will find that most decent garages will have some form of diagnostic machine which will work OK, so there is no real need to go to a main dealer.

Stuart

MissK
27-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Victoria, just read that you managed to get yours fixed, you said you took it the the VW dealer and they checked it. How much did this cost? My local VW dealer wants to charge me £105 just for the computer check alone, then god knows how much else on top for what ever is wrong with it?

i've read in other forums that it could be the Lambda Sensor Or the coils Or just the temperature gage?

But how much does it cost to find this out? I only bought the car over a week ago from a private seller...

not happy as my luck with cars is the worst :zx11:

Eshrules
27-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi Victoria, just read that you managed to get yours fixed, you said you took it the the VW dealer and they checked it. How much did this cost? My local VW dealer wants to charge me £105 just for the computer check alone, then god knows how much else on top for what ever is wrong with it?

i've read in other forums that it could be the Lambda Sensor Or the coils Or just the temperature gage?

But how much does it cost to find this out? I only bought the car over a week ago from a private seller...

not happy as my luck with cars is the worst :zx11:

ok, if your fault turns out to be the temp sender/sensor/switch it is a doddle to fix and is easily identified, other than the emissions light, are there any other symptoms from the car? eg dodgy temp gauge?

if you like, to avoid the hefty diagnostics charge, let us know where you are and im sure someone could run one on your car for a beer.....:beerchug:

p.s i am based in stalybridge :)

MissK
27-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Carl, nope, there are no other symptoms that i can tell, i've just recently taken it on a long drive and it was fine. Plus i've filled up petrol from both an Asda and Shell so it can't be the quality of petrol? The temperature gauge is always stright up in the middle which apparently is ok?

I live in the Midlands, Coventry so if you know anyone i could take it to it would be much appreciated, and your definitely talking me language when it comes to 'beer', that will be no problem with pleasure! :-)

JamesC
10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I had my emissions light come on today while going through the wonderful M1 average speed camera bit near London. However, I've been told my exhaust is blowing a bit could that cause it? or is it best to take it somewhere to get it looked at? (1.2 Polo E 2002)

Thanks

JamesC
14-08-2007, 08:59 PM
just changed the lambda on my car, but warning light is still on. What is it likely to be?

My guesses: I didn't install it properly (although I did make sure all wires fitted properly and I can only see the connector part of it fitting one way).

fault with the dash light

what else could it be?

Thanks

yeager2004
26-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi

I too have the emissions intermittently coming on (X-reg petrol 1.4 Polo) - seems like a fairly common fault.

The emmisions light came on together with the EPC light about a month ago. My wife dropped by our friendly local garage who hooked up their diagnostic tool, but by then both lights had gone out! (at least he didn't charge us!)

Yesterday the emissions light was back on - I took the car out later in the evening but driving home later on, the light it was out again. The car mainly gets used by the missus for short journeys to playgroup etc, so today we swapped cars and I gave it a 'spirited' 30 mile (the old Italian service!) drive to my office as I wondered it it just needed a decent run to help clear it out. The car seemed to be running well and drives fine whether the light is on or off.

The light still out today but suspect it will probably come back on - bit concerned as MOT due in Jan and wonder if the emission levels really are playing up - guess will find out at MOT time...I'd almost rather the light stayed on rather than this intermittent fault, so at least we had a definite fault fix.

From reading the various forums, the lambda sensor seems a likely culprit - I'll clean the lambda connector to it this weekend just in case I've just got a duff connection. Can anyone give me a clue as to where I can find it?! :Blush2:

Has anyone else tried one of those fuel additives that are supposed to help clean the engine/fuel system? Just wondered it that might help too.

Many thanks

Ade

Trebesy
26-10-2007, 05:31 PM
I have had my 1.2 E 52 plate Polo around a year and a half, the emissions light came on 6 months after having it and remains on despite two M.O.Ts and two new charcoal cannisters. It seems that to get it through the M.O.T it needs a charcoal cannister as the emissions are far to high.

It got through on wednesday but after 8 miles the light came back on, i was told by the garage it needs a new purge valve to stop the light from coming on. Does anyone know of purge valves being replaced and having sucess? I am told it is an easy job so not worried about the cost of labour just the part!

Tim

PeteChes
26-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh no, i appear to joined the emission warning light gang! :zx11:

Bought my 51 reg polo gti about a month ago, only has 29000 on the clock. Found it has started to judder/hesitate when i accelerate heavily, usually when i am trying to accelerate from just under 3000 revs, although initially i thought this was perhaps just due to accelerating from low revs.

However the last couple of days i've experienced a more significant loss of power when trying to accelerate hard, particularly when im accelerating from 60mph in 5th just under 3000revs, if i continue to press on the gas the loss of power/lack of acceleration continues and the emissions warning light comes on and stays on for a while, generally goes off once ive slowed down, to about 40mph.

Dont suppose anyone has got any advice? Its booked in next monday at my vw garage and have read things on forums about changing ignition coils and HT leads...

JamesC
27-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh no, i appear to joined the emission warning light gang! :zx11:

Bought my 51 reg polo gti about a month ago, only has 29000 on the clock. Found it has started to judder/hesitate when i accelerate heavily, usually when i am trying to accelerate from just under 3000 revs, although initially i thought this was perhaps just due to accelerating from low revs.

However the last couple of days i've experienced a more significant loss of power when trying to accelerate hard, particularly when im accelerating from 60mph in 5th just under 3000revs, if i continue to press on the gas the loss of power/lack of acceleration continues and the emissions warning light comes on and stays on for a while, generally goes off once ive slowed down, to about 40mph.

Dont suppose anyone has got any advice? Its booked in next monday at my vw garage and have read things on forums about changing ignition coils and HT leads...

would be interested to see what it is.

Apparently common issues on this are the coils, and timing chain.

yeager2004
29-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Do you not need to hook up Vagcom to clear the fault code?

zapata
20-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I had the Emissions Warning light appear on my 2003 polo 1.2 recently.
I had a mate hook up his VagCom and two issues showed up.

1. 16500 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor G62 Intermittant
2. 16556 Fuel trim Bank1. System Too Rich

The 2nd fault is the result of the first because the computer thinks the engine is cold and requires more fuel to get her warmed up to operating temp.
So, I'm gonna replace the sensor tomorrow and use less fuel and keep that light unlit. ;)

Here's a nice poem I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbb3g31m9sA

Lucky
27-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Just took my Golf GTI T petrol in for the emmission light problem, and it was diagnosed as Engine coolant temp sensor and Lamda sensor. Was adviced to change the Temp sensor first as it was the cheaper option and usually triggers the lamda sensor problem. Ended up costing me £29 for Diag and then 30 labour to fit sensor plus the cost of the senor £22, coolant and then all plus vat. Ouch. Should have changed it my self, as it was really easy. Hope this helps.

Lucky
27-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Update, the light has just come on again so, I guess I am going to have to fork out for a lamda sensor now. Not happy!!

mike6265
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I have trouble with my wife's Polo exhaust light. The lambda probe was replaced a year ago and this solved the problem for about 6 months. Now it occurs every two months or so. I manage to sort it out by taking out and putting back a fuse - maybe a fluke?
However this last occasion I tried several fuses out and back ending up making the exhaust light OK but causing the Airbag light to come on. (The to VW to have this reset for a minor charge)
Is there any easy way to determine which fuse is for which system? Then maybe I will not cause too many problems next time I fiddle.