PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Top-Up

gregpot2000
23-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Everyone

My power-steering was making strange rubbing, and growling noises at low speeds such as parking, I topped up the fluid and the noise has gone, but should I be concerned as to where the fluid has gone in the first place? it only took around 100-150ml to fill back up, so not much had gone.

I'm just wondering if this is a sign I could have a big bill soon though? eg steering rack seals perished or something similar?

thanks

Alan02
23-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I would keep an eye on it as its usually rare to need to top up fluid. Be aware that there are two fill levels. One is for when oil is cold - Lower `max` level. And another for when oil is hot -Upper `max` level. If you look closely at the dipstick, you will see the markings.
Look around hose joints / rack for any signs of dampness, or dirt clinging to joint areas etc. a usual sign of a slight weep of oil. If so, try giving the connection a slight nip-up.

dello
27-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Hi
I had a clunking when parking on my avant, dealer packed joints with grease, said it was known issue covered by warranty, no more noise.

ScottyUK
27-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I'd be more concerned about the fluid loss than the noise personally.

As above I'd have a good look around : calipers, joints, etc etc.

It's not only a safety thing but you don't want that harsh fluid splashing around on your car.

gregpot2000
27-01-2013, 11:27 PM
It hasn't gone down at all since topping up on Tuesday. So just keeping an eye on it for now. Thanks for all the replies

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2