PDA

View Full Version : Another S4 question: Tail Pipe Trim Replacement

jeznewsome
23-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Sorry for further questions about the S4.

When I viewed the Avant I am buying (59 reg) the chrome on the tail pipes (both N/s and O/s) were badly corroded such that a simple clean and polish was not an option. The Saleman checked with the part/service dept and replacement tail pipe trims are available.

I had assumed that these were like many of the A4 B8 items that are effectively just push on items. Apparently they are not and to fit requires the exisiting tail trim to be cut off the back box and the new trims are clamped onto the remaining stubs?

I would be none the wiser if they had just gone ahead and fitted them but they called to ask if I wanted them to proceed with cutting the original exhaust......feels like they think it is a bit of a bodge (though an approved Audi part and method of fitment) and may be trying to shift the risk/blame.

Anyone got any experience of this fitment and any long term problems? Should I be worried or just let them get on with it?

ScottyUK
23-01-2013, 02:33 PM
My A4 ones often look beyond salvage .... but a load of Autosol and a splash of elbow grease and their all shiny and new.

Have you given it a try even if you had to end up with wire wool it should still come up?

jeznewsome
23-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Not got the car yet, the work is being done by the dealer. The rust I saw when I viewed the car was bad, large bulbous spots of it so though it may be able to polish up there souldn't be any chrome left and so any finish woudl be short lived.

Jason Carson
24-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Another +1 for Autosol works for me every time. I always make sure to give the 4 Audi rings on the side of the exhaust tip an extra buff just for my own satisfaction.

NickH A4
24-01-2013, 02:24 PM
It's strangely satisfying to see nicely buffed tips :p

Worth the effort.