PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the key fob

Phil K
19-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Well another week another 'problem' thread... Have tried a search but didn't find anything so apologies if this has been covered!

Our spare key has sucked 2 brand new batteries dry in the last 2 weeks (1 battery a week). I doubt our trader warranty will be interested in sorting this out (will try them anyway) so it's likely I will need to find a replacement myself.

My question is - do I have to be financially raped the dealers or can I buy a used one on eBay at get it coded?

A cheep option is needed here and yes, forgetting about having two keys is probably the obvious answer.

SattyA4
19-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Haha, Financially raped! Made me laugh

Doctle Odd
19-01-2013, 07:24 PM
You can get a fleabay one, a locksmith will change the blade and put in and code a new chip. still talking 100.00 ish

113brucey
19-01-2013, 07:28 PM
i thin all keys have to be coded to car at same time

pitch3110
19-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Sold my B8 a few weeks ago and hunts high and low for the spare.

Replacement was £185 and coding a further £50. Luckily wife had if covered on a CC few quid a year insurance so all covered

ta
Pitch

nancol
19-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Rather than thinking about a new/replacement key have you checked if there is something you can do with the existing one?

Assuming it is working okay (apart from eating batteries?) my first guess would be something is shorting out inside. Where the battery fits, check to make sure there is nothing metallic that can short the battery. Is there any sign the key is getting warm when you fit a new battery???

I have seen the internal contacts that can short the battery, thus sucking them dry as you say

derekm
21-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I still have the spare key from my old car (2008 B8). Couldn't find it at the time when I gave the car back, but it turned up afterwards lol.

It yours if you want it for £40 other wise I will just put it on ebay ;). They seem to making around £60 on there.

pm me if your interested.

Phil K
21-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the info so far guys, I will pull the key apart and have a look inside with a torch to see what I can see but don't hold a lot of hope...

I'm a little unclear of the coding for the new key though. Are we saying you need to take both keys and the car into Audi and have the whole lot re-set with a new code or can the key be done individually? Can a second hand one be re-coded?

I dont need to worry about the key blade as the old one will transfer over to the new body...

and lastly, thanks for the offer Derek. I am watching a couple on ebay at the moment - one of which has a BIN of £30 so happy to do a deal with you if you dont mind dropping your price slightly?

derekm
22-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Yeah you can have it for £30.

They can be re-coded at the dealer.

Phil K
22-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks Derek! Cars in Audi tomorrow and they're going to check our faulty key out for us. Assuming they can't fix it I will send you some money... Ok if I confirm on Thursday? Will drop you a PM with my contact details now :)

fat controller
22-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Phil - which dealer do you have yours in? I need to get mine in over the next week or so to have the clutch looked at, and am wondering which one to take it to - was thinking Walton, but don't know anything of them?

Phil K
22-01-2013, 09:16 PM
I have only been into Guildford but have spoken to Camberly too mate. Had a few teething problems with Guildford but they're working really hard to resolve issues and the quality of customer service has been really good!

fat controller
22-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks - I think it will either be Walton, Epsom or Camberley then.

Cheers

iamdarren
05-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Did u ever sort the key. I've bought a eBay one I'm looking to get records. Another guy on eBay who cuts keys (from pics) scary. Told me you cannot simply do this it will cost 360 from a dealer and then u will be able to get a code added. He also told me I wouldn't understand the complexities involved, and he couldn't be bothered to tell me. Still though might get the key cut. 10 for blade. 10 for cut.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Eshrules
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Did u ever sort the key. I've bought a eBay one I'm looking to get records. Another guy on eBay who cuts keys (from pics) scary. Told me you cannot simply do this it will cost 360 from a dealer and then u will be able to get a code added. He also told me I wouldn't understand the complexities involved, and he couldn't be bothered to tell me. Still though might get the key cut. 10 for blade. 10 for cut.

I dealt with a guy who cut from high quality pictures, did a better job than timpsons and the was saving you a headache re the complexities, although his cost estimate for the coding was a tad high.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

iamdarren
05-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I will probably send him the pic to get the blade cut. But the first priority when this key comes is to get it coded. Now he has told me you can't decode them and recode. I'm not confident it will work. Or if he's telling me I can't code it as he wants me to buy from him.

Phil K
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
When I suggested to Audi that I was going to buy a second hand key and get them to recode it they didn't say anything about it not being possible... I have bought a key (which is also already cut) for another vehicle but plan to swap the key part over once the new fob is coded.

just waiting to see how the new key slot goes over the next week as we still have problems and I may as well get audi to sort both in a single visit.

Doctle Odd
05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
You need the SKC from a main dealer, a key with the right transponder and someone with VCDS to code the key, if you buy a blank key a locksmith will cut it 50.00 should do it

iamdarren
05-02-2013, 10:16 PM
You need the SKC from a main dealer, a key with the right transponder and someone with VCDS to code the key, if you buy a blank key a locksmith will cut it 50.00 should do it

whats a skc? this is the key i ordered, hopefully it will arrive at work tomorrow

Audi Smart Remote Key Fob 3 Button. | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290847890192)

will be good as i bought the car from a dealer and i only got 1 key, when i went back to ask, they told me they dont guarantee 2 keys :(

Doctle Odd
05-02-2013, 10:30 PM
The SKC (secret key code???) is a 7 digit code needed in order to program a key. You can only get it from a main dealer. The key you bought will need a new blade and I think a transponder and the blade cut so allow another 20-30 pounds before the cost of coding

hollow
09-03-2013, 07:29 PM
cannot get skc from dealer anymore they don't give it out , they don't even see it anymore . transponders cannot be recoded it needs a new one . with the correct tools the 7 bytes of data can be found in the immobiliser to code a new transponder ,but the dealer doesn't have these . they order a new key on your vin number which is part coded .it is then activated via computer at the dealers.

iamdarren
09-03-2013, 07:45 PM
cannot get skc from dealer anymore they don't give it out , they don't even see it anymore . transponders cannot be recoded it needs a new one . with the correct tools the 7 bytes of data can be found in the immobiliser to code a new transponder ,but the dealer doesn't have these . they order a new key on your vin number which is part coded .it is then activated via computer at the dealers.

I've booked mine in next sat to have my spare key recoded I was told it will be £69. If they need to swap a transponder at audi prices that doesn't sound cheap. I got a spare key off eBay.

hollow
09-03-2013, 08:01 PM
your spare key recoded . if it was your spare key I could recode it for free . but it isn't yours , it was of ebay . the most you'll get is it will unlock the doors ,but it wont start the car .

iamdarren
11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
your spare key recoded . if it was your spare key I could recode it for free . but it isn't yours , it was of ebay . the most you'll get is it will unlock the doors ,but it wont start the car .

ahh, interesting. So it would only unlock doors, wonder what the dealer will say when I take in the key to get it all done on Saturday. I hope it doesn't end up being too expensive.

Phil K
12-03-2013, 12:18 AM
I managed to source a second hand key but haven't got around to getting it coded and now its not sounding too hopeful...

Please let me know what happens Saturday with yours!?!

iamdarren
16-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Just got back from Audi after an hour wait. The eBay sourced key cannot be reprogrammed I must buy a new key the price is as follows.
140 for plastic button part
40 for key blade section.
Recode 69
-----------
I didn't buy a new key while I was down there I thought I had a good deal with 25 from eBay and then 69 recode.

I've messaged the seller on ebay. Let's see what happens I did see one back feedback stating sells keys which cannot be recoded. I might be adding another negative to that.

Sorry Phil you may be in the same boat unless this elusive transponder can be purchased and maybe coded by a forum member.

VAG-tech
16-03-2013, 11:52 AM
The SKC (secret key code???) is a 7 digit code needed in order to program a key. You can only get it from a main dealer.

Not True!

Any garage using the Autologic diagnostic system can tell you your SKC or do the job for you...:D

Phil K
16-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Bugger! Looks like its eBay for the spare I bought then...

Thanks for the info Darren, not good news but at least I know what Audi will want to charge me for a replacement. I will have a go at contacting the warranty company before I spend any more money sorting this out - I doubt its covered but you never know!?!

Dieseldoos
16-03-2013, 12:21 PM
On the plus side, surely this would make Audis that little harder to steal if its not that easy to programme replacement keys. (Kind of like what did happen with BMW a while back).

Phil K
16-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah, there is a positive side I guess... Shame it puts me close to £200 out of pocket though lol

Love the Avatar by the way mate - not noticed it before but its very clever!

hollow
16-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Just got back from Audi after an hour wait. The eBay sourced key cannot be reprogrammed I must buy a new key the price is as follows.
140 for plastic button part
40 for key blade section.
Recode 69
-----------
I didn't buy a new key while I was down there I thought I had a good deal with 25 from eBay and then 69 recode.

I've messaged the seller on ebay. Let's see what happens I did see one back feedback stating sells keys which cannot be recoded. I might be adding another negative to that.

Sorry Phil you may be in the same boat unless this elusive transponder can be purchased and maybe coded by a forum member.

well I did try telling you it couldn't be reprogrammed , I suppose some people have to see for themselves though . The transponders can be bought just cant find a wholesale supplier . even then I think the only way to program one would be to clone another . keys from audi come part coded to the cars vin number . then the rest is done online via the dealer

Doctle Odd
16-03-2013, 10:12 PM
I believe VAG Tacho can do the same job, nobody is going to do it for free, it's still not that expensive
Not True!

Any garage using the Autologic diagnostic system can tell you your SKC or do the job for you...:D

iamdarren
16-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I had already bought the key early Feb so was told I could get it done when I went in there. It's a shame would have been cheap.