PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Xenons & High Beam Assist?

mactrack
19-01-2013, 04:31 PM
So I have ordered a new Golf GT 1.4TSI ACT DSG in solid white with black leather interior with the following spec;

17" Singapore alloy wheels.
Bi-Xenon headlights.
Electric/heated/memory seats.
Keyless entry.
2Zone air conditioning.
Colour Multi-Function display.
Park-Assist system.
Rear-View camera.

5 year warranty & 3 year service packs and was quoted a delivery time of 12-14 weeks.

The order was originally placed to include High-Beam Assist however the VW dealer advised that this was not compatible with the Bi-Xenons as they already include automatic range adjustment and, probably more importantly, the factory system would not allow it to be ordered.

Looking into it a bit further there appears to be something which VW call DLA (Dynamic Light Assist) which is available as a €465 option on the German Golf MK7 configurator. This system seems to be the "next generation" of High-Beam Assist which allows you to keep the full-beam on as the headlights will automatically blank off the part of the beam which the onboard camera detects would blind oncoming traffic rather than just simply switching between high and low beams. Also the UK Audi A3 configurator details this option as a £175 add-on but only to "adaptive" Xenons.

So does anyone know whether this system is already included as standard in UK spec Bi-Xenon option?

Neil Ramsay
19-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi, from poring over the respective VW and Audi brochures I don't believe the DLA is part of the Bi-xenon option. On the A3 in addition to the adaptive xenon's you also need to add some form of driver assist system, either lane assist or lane & side assist. Back to VW option list, Lane Assist includes high beam assist and traffic sign display.

Might be worth enquiring if that's the magic combo that gives you what your looking for.

Evil Dan
19-01-2013, 11:29 PM
So I have ordered a new Golf GT 1.4TSI ACT DSG in solid white with black leather interior with the following spec;

17" Singapore alloy wheels.
Bi-Xenon headlights.
Electric/heated/memory seats.
Keyless entry.
2Zone air conditioning.
Colour Multi-Function display.
Park-Assist system.
Rear-View camera.

5 year warranty & 3 year service packs and was quoted a delivery time of 12-14 weeks.

The order was originally placed to include High-Beam Assist however the VW dealer advised that this was not compatible with the Bi-Xenons as they already include automatic range adjustment and, probably more importantly, the factory system would not allow it to be ordered.

Looking into it a bit further there appears to be something which VW call DLA (Dynamic Light Assist) which is available as a €465 option on the German Golf MK7 configurator. This system seems to be the "next generation" of High-Beam Assist which allows you to keep the full-beam on as the headlights will automatically blank off the part of the beam which the onboard camera detects would blind oncoming traffic rather than just simply switching between high and low beams. Also the UK Audi A3 configurator details this option as a £175 add-on but only to "adaptive" Xenons.

So does anyone know whether this system is already included as standard in UK spec Bi-Xenon option?

Very odd. My car was ordered with both the Xenons and the combined Lane Assist and High Beam Assist. What you describe as Dynamic Lane Assist is similar to how the High Beam Assist works so I assume they are the same thing, as I can't believe they are doing two different systems.

http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models/golf_7/technical-videos.html

EDIT: Actually seeing how half-***** some of the other option choices are it wouldn't surprise me they have 2 lighting systems. My understanding though is that the dynamic light assist is designed for the Xenons.

mactrack
19-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Very odd. My car was ordered with both the Xenons and the combined Lane Assist and High Beam Assist. What you describe as Dynamic Lane Assist is similar to how the High Beam Assist works so I assume they are the same thing, as I can't believe they are doing two different systems.

http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models/golf_7/technical-videos.html

Thanks Dan and I think you have just confirmed Neil's thoughts above as you have successfully ordered Bi-Xenons and High-Beam Assist (albeit as part of the Lane Assist package which includes the necessary camera). I think, read hope, that you will get the DLA system whereas if you had halogen headlights I think you would get the simple on/off High-Beam Assist.

I'm not sure whether I will be able amend the order and, more importantly, whether it's worth the extra £520 before discount to get it (albeit with the Lane Assist feature which I'm not fussed about).

EDIT: Just seen your EDIT which I think means we pretty much agree!

Evil Dan
19-01-2013, 11:56 PM
From my order sheet:19096

mactrack
20-01-2013, 12:01 AM
From my order sheet:19096
It's a shame that VW UK don't make more effort to explain the features/options better in the sales literature etc.

glospete
20-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Really interesting .....

I have ordered High Beam Assistant but with no Lane Assist package. On the official order from my garage to VW it is code 8G1. My understanding is that there ARE 2 versions - the simple High Beam Assistant which simply detects oncoming cars' lights and dips the main beam, and the much more complex Dynamic Light Assist which keeps the main beam on full but masks the section which would otherwise blind the oncoming motorist. The prices on the German website reflect the different complexity.

The translation of the 2 systems on the German website says:

Dynamic main beam control "Dynamic Light Assist" 465, -
- Allows permanent drive with the high light without dazzling oncoming traffic
- By a masking function, the high-beam headlights are partially dimmed
(can be ordered in conjunction with Light and Sight package, multi-function display "Plus" or "premium" and xenon headlights
with LED daytime running lights)

Main beam control "Light Assist" 146, -
- Independently switch from 65 km / h the main beam in the dark
- Detects vehicles ahead and oncoming vehicles and automatically dims before the driver is blinded
(can be ordered in conjunction with Light and Sight package and multi-function display "Plus" or "premium")

From what I can see there appears to be no option on the VW UK site of Dynamic Light Assist. Also the Xenon lights for UK have the code PXA but the Irish ones are PXB and I think the difference is that the UK ones do not have the Dynamic Cornering Light function on the headlights.

mactrack
20-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Really interesting .....

I have ordered High Beam Assistant but with no Lane Assist package. On the official order from my garage to VW it is code 8G1. My understanding is that there ARE 2 versions - the simple High Beam Assistant which simply detects oncoming cars' lights and dips the main beam, and the much more complex Dynamic Light Assist which keeps the main beam on full but masks the section which would otherwise blind the oncoming motorist. The prices on the German website reflect the different complexity.

The translation of the 2 systems on the German website says:

Dynamic main beam control "Dynamic Light Assist" 465, -
- Allows permanent drive with the high light without dazzling oncoming traffic
- By a masking function, the high-beam headlights are partially dimmed
(can be ordered in conjunction with Light and Sight package, multi-function display "Plus" or "premium" and xenon headlights
with LED daytime running lights)

Main beam control "Light Assist" 146, -
- Independently switch from 65 km / h the main beam in the dark
- Detects vehicles ahead and oncoming vehicles and automatically dims before the driver is blinded
(can be ordered in conjunction with Light and Sight package and multi-function display "Plus" or "premium")

From what I can see there appears to be no option on the VW UK site of Dynamic Light Assist.

Just when I thought I understood the situation you seem to have ordered Bi-Xenons and High-Beam Assist but without the Lane-Assist camera system so who knows what you will actually receive when you get your car! And this is the problem if UK buyers don't know what version of High-Beam assist, standard or DLA, they will get depending on what other option boxes have been ticked.

h5djr
20-01-2013, 01:50 PM
There is quite a good illustration of how the Dynamic Light Assist works on the Germany VW site. I understood this option was not going to be available on UK cars.
Highlights < Der neue Golf < Modelle < Volkswagen Deutschland (http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/golf_7/highlights.html#/flash=17bec8043493e524ed69196cf718ddee@Assistenz-systeme%2Blayerd08727977eea0662754ae3740c36b5db)

mactrack
20-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I understood this option was not going to be available on UK cars.
How were you lead to understand this? I only ask because I think you're right due to the VW UK website appearing to deliberately not mention DLA and the new Golf at all other than in the general launch bumpf as below;

Volkswagen News : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/425/all-new-seventh-generation-volkswagen-golf-breaks-cover-in-berlin)

Col
20-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Cannot believe that this is allowed to be fitted to any car. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Is it by the same people that brought us "bellendtronic" and "pushytwatplus"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/BMWWtronic_zps18e15eae.jpg

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue059.html

h5djr
20-01-2013, 04:52 PM
How were you lead to understand this? I only ask because I think you're right due to the VW UK website appearing to deliberately not mention DLA and the new Golf at all other than in the general launch bumpf as below;

Volkswagen News : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/425/all-new-seventh-generation-volkswagen-golf-breaks-cover-in-berlin)

I'm not sure where I read it because I've read so many articles and tests on the new Golf. Quite possibly it's because it would involve a totally different setup for the UK because it seems to keep main beam on the near side headlight and dip the offside headlight.

glospete
20-01-2013, 05:26 PM
But Ireland has it on their option list and they drive on the left .....

mactrack
20-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure where I read it because I've read so many articles and tests on the new Golf. Quite possibly it's because it would involve a totally different setup for the UK because it seems to keep main beam on the near side headlight and dip the offside headlight.
At first I thought it might be a LHD/RHD thing but as linked above the RHD Irish market gets DLA. I did find reference to DLA not coming to the US market yet due to the DLA system not being currently "approved" so perhaps that might also be the case in the UK?

The graphic of the DLA system working, which you linked to the German VW site above, is the same one used in the UK brochure although the description of it is just the normal on/off High-Beam Assist.

Evil Dan
20-01-2013, 05:37 PM
At first I thought it might be a LHD/RHD thing but as linked above the RHD Irish market gets DLA. I did find reference to DLA not coming to the US market yet due to the DLA system not being currently "approved" so perhaps that might also be the case in the UK?

The graphic of the DLA system working, which you linked to the German VW site above, is the same one used in the UK brochure although the description of it is just the normal on/off High-Beam Assist.

I have to say that I'd prefer an on/off system rather than the DLA. There's no way of knowing what it is like for oncoming vehicles and I'd be uncomfortable using it.

glospete
20-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Just about relevant is a question I have about the Traffic Sign Display. Does that feature only come with the Lane Assist or as per the price list is it a feature of the Discover and Discover PRO sat navs?

Evil Dan
20-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Just about relevant is a question I have about the Traffic Sign Display. Does that feature only come with the Lane Assist or as per the price list is it a feature of the Discover and Discover PRO sat navs?

My impression was that the sat navs only display the speed (as stored in the sat nav's database like TomTom, etc do). The traffic sign detection requires the lane assist camera in the rear view mirror.

mactrack
20-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I have to say that I'd prefer an on/off system rather than the DLA. There's no way of knowing what it is like for oncoming vehicles and I'd be uncomfortable using it.I've had High-Beam Assist on my current, and previous car, and it works well although the times you will actually use it if you live in the street lit suburbs are not that great. However this Golf is actually for my aged parents and after watching some of the technical videos on DLA it does look worth having if it does come with the Lane-Assist pack.

Assuming my dealer makes it into work tomorrow due to the snow I'm going to ask whether my order can be amended or also whether he can get some sort of confirmation from VW UK as to whether DLA is part of the Lane-Assist package, if Bi-Xenons have already been ordered, although I don't hold out too much hope of getting a definitive answer if experiences of ordering other brand new VAG products is anything to go by!

Evil Dan
20-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I've had High-Beam Assist on my current, and previous car, and it works well although the times you will actually use it if you live in the street lit suburbs are not that great. However this Golf is actually for my aged parents and after watching some of the technical videos on DLA it does look worth having if it does come with the Lane-Assist pack.

Assuming my dealer makes it into work tomorrow due to the snow I'm going to ask whether my order can be amended or also whether he can get some sort of confirmation from VW UK as to whether DLA is part of the Lane-Assist package, if Bi-Xenons have already been ordered, although I don't hold out too much hope of getting a definitive answer if experiences of ordering other brand new VAG products is anything to go by!

I was told once a build week had been confirmed (using the tracking on VW's site) that no changes could be made. I wanted to add the reduced price winter pack, but was unsuccessful.

Evil Dan
20-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Has anyone actually received or seen a UK spec car at a VW dealer with Xenons? It seems there is a non-LED daytime running light Xenon option on the continent. Has anyone actually seen a UK spec Xenon setup? I get the feeling it may be another way for VW to shaft UK customers.

mactrack
20-01-2013, 06:46 PM
I was told once a build week had been confirmed (using the tracking on VW's site) that no changes could be made. I wanted to add the reduced price winter pack, but was unsuccessful.
You're indeed right although it was only ordered on Tuesday, and I've not been advised of the order number, so it might not be too late!

G0rdon
20-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Has anyone actually received or seen a UK spec car at a VW dealer with Xenons? It seems there is a non-LED daytime running light Xenon option on the continent. Has anyone actually seen a UK spec Xenon setup? I get the feeling it may be another way for VW to shaft UK customers.

Saw that post, too, and got me wondering! Mine's turning up at the dealer tomorrow - weather permitting! - and hope to get it either Wednesday or Thursday so will let you know. I didn't order xenons, though, to have DRLs like those in the photo! Everything else online - and in the brochure & TV ads - has the u-shaped ones on the outer portion of the light cluster.

Evil Dan
21-01-2013, 08:31 AM
VW Golf Mk7 Review - Full Buying Guide | carbuzz.co.uk (http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/car-reviews/Volkswagen/Golf)

5th picture down on the left (click on photos and you will see them). Seems to show a UK registered car with Xenons and LED running lights, though I suppose it maybe a German spec car just registered here. Also lower down on that page is an SE with the standard daytime running lights.

mactrack
21-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Just by way of an update to this. I spoke to my dealer, who in turn spoke to his in-house Master Technician and VW UK, and he has advised that the Lane-Assist package should give you the Dynamic Light Assist as the necessary camera will then be installed. He also added that a different Xenon headlamp would be fitted at the factory, if DLA is also ordered, as it contains the masking equipment required for DLA to work.

As my order had not been confirmed I have added it to the spec.

mactrack
31-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Just by way of an update to this. I spoke to my dealer, who in turn spoke to his in-house Master Technician and VW UK, and he has advised that the Lane-Assist package should give you the Dynamic Light Assist as the necessary camera will then be installed. He also added that a different Xenon headlamp would be fitted at the factory, if DLA is also ordered, as it contains the masking equipment required for DLA to work.

As my order had not been confirmed I have added it to the spec.
Update to the update! My dealer has had a car arrive with Xenons and the Lane-Assist package and it does not have LED DRLs and the High-Beam Assist is the simple on-off type and not the Dynamic Light Assist system (which according to VW UK has not been approved for UK use yet). Needless to say the Lane-Assist package will be dropped from the order!

kevlarpantz
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
VW Golf Mk7 Review - Full Buying Guide | carbuzz.co.uk (http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/car-reviews/Volkswagen/Golf)

5th picture down on the left (click on photos and you will see them). Seems to show a UK registered car with Xenons and LED running lights, though I suppose it maybe a German spec car just registered here. Also lower down on that page is an SE with the standard daytime running lights.

Hi all, about the pics. That main picture when you follow the link - are they Geneva wheels ?

thanks

Evil Dan
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi all, about the pics. That main picture when you follow the link - are they Geneva wheels ?

thanks

Yes, they are.

kevlarpantz
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Great, i have a GT 5 door in Limestone and Xenons on order. Started with Serrons and standard lights but changed when realised the headlights didnt have the "u" day lights. couldnt afford both so the wheel had to go. now tempted with the Geneva's !!

Evil Dan
01-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Great, i have a GT 5 door in Limestone and Xenons on order. Started with Serrons and standard lights but changed when realised the headlights didnt have the "u" day lights. couldnt afford both so the wheel had to go. now tempted with the Geneva's !!

Try this from the German site. (http://www.volkswagen.de/content/medialib/vwd4/de/dialog/pdf/golf-a7/katalog/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.download_attachment.file/golf_katalog.pdf) It's a 8Mb pdf but has all the wheels including some not available in the UK on pages 14 & 15.