PDA

View Full Version : Yoko tyre grip levels

j20eyk
17-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Evening

After my past 3 cars being 4 wheel drive I am unsure if I am being a bit unfair on the tyres or chassis. Basically I have Yoko tyres all round on 20" rims and while they are not new, so cant expect epic grip levels, I really struggle to set off from standstill without any kind of wheel spin I honestly get the feeling that I would be better in a 1.2 super-mini sometimes. I have to be extremely gradual and smooth with the accelerator to get any kind of progress.

Whats your thoughts? Is it me, the tyres or the car? Most of what I have read about yokos has been positive.

zollaf
17-01-2013, 08:49 PM
you are putting a lot of power down through the front wheels. all front drive cars will wheelspin and the bigger your engine the easier it will be. if you are used to 4x4, then fwd will be a bit of a let down. i had a sharan with 130 bhp and that would easily spin the wheels up in 3rd gear so i hate to think what yours is like with a lot more torque.

j20eyk
17-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I expected some but its more than that. I am hoping some better tyres will help cure it but not sure if that's the problem and its just the car. I had a focus ST back in my younger days with 225 going through the front and that seemed to cope much better.

shabazmo
17-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I only have a spin problem in the wet, so I think its probably your tyres. Do you have a different set in the rear that you can change. My 18s Goodyear efficientgrip will be a bit more supple that you 20s, so may grip better on the traction test.

j20eyk
17-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Cheers shabazmo. My tyres on the back are not much different to be honest. I will put it down to the tyres being shot. Now I have to worry about whether to stick with the Yokos on my replacements or go for something different. The P Zeros seem to have quite a few issues but have the best wet grip rating along with Pilot Super Sports. Think the Michelins are looking best so far unless some one can tell me different.