PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems - clutch / DMF?

xtremist
17-01-2013, 10:06 AM
A question for the more knowledgeable people on here.

I have a A4 B8 with a 2 litre 143ps tdi engine and it’s becoming more and more temperamental to start. For the last few months, when you push the key in and depress the clutch to start the engine, it doesn’t always start. In the last few weeks it has started to tell me via the display on the dash to depress clutch to start.

The clutch itself appears to be fine and isn’t slipping. I think the DMF needs replacing as it’s become noisy and rattles when starting and tick over. If driving in 5th or 6th at about 1400RPM it vibrates.

Has the DMF got anything to do with it not starting, or is there something else which may cause this issue ? Don’t really want to spend circa £1000 for a new clutch and DMF and still have the problem.

Thanks in advance,

MFGF
17-01-2013, 02:27 PM
A question for the more knowledgeable people on here.

I have a A4 B8 with a 2 litre 143ps tdi engine and it’s becoming more and more temperamental to start. For the last few months, when you push the key in and depress the clutch to start the engine, it doesn’t always start. In the last few weeks it has started to tell me via the display on the dash to depress clutch to start.

The clutch itself appears to be fine and isn’t slipping. I think the DMF needs replacing as it’s become noisy and rattles when starting and tick over. If driving in 5th or 6th at about 1400RPM it vibrates.

Has the DMF got anything to do with it not starting, or is there something else which may cause this issue ? Don’t really want to spend circa £1000 for a new clutch and DMF and still have the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Does this post help:

2.0 tdi non start fault (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?141322-2-0-tdi-non-start-fault&p=775111#post775111)

Cheers!

MF.

xtremist
17-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info, will do a bit more investigating and get a garage to take a look.

Boy
17-01-2013, 11:35 PM
It would be useful to know what mileage your car has.
Thanks.

xtremist
18-01-2013, 09:57 AM
It would be useful to know what mileage your car has.
Thanks.

Doctle Odd
18-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Did you check the switch above the clutch pedal? A VCDS scan would help

xtremist
18-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Did you check the switch above the clutch pedal? A VCDS scan would help

Will take a look at the weekend, is it obvious what I'm looking for ?

Liam higby
22-01-2013, 08:29 PM
hi,ive just had the same problem,i put a complete clutch and dmf along with a modified release bearing and arm and pin which sorted out the fault,hope that helps mate

xtremist
22-01-2013, 09:32 PM
hi,ive just had the same problem,i put a complete clutch and dmf along with a modified release bearing and arm and pin which sorted out the fault,hope that helps mate

In all honesty I'm going to try the less expensive option 1st, replace the clutch pedal switch. Under £100...... If that doesn't work...... !

xtremist
18-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Ended up getting clutch, DMF and release bearing replaced :(

Everything good so far though.

fat controller
18-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Mine is in today to have the clutch/DMF looked at for replacement - did you get yours done at a main dealer?

xtremist
18-02-2013, 08:02 PM
No, local independant. Audi wanted approx £700 more !

fat controller
18-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks - you pre-empted my next question. Audi quoted just over £1700 to do mine, however the warranty company have sent it into Halfords Autocentre as they are their preferred repairer (presumably charge a hell of a lot less than Audi); there is a £1k claim limit on the warranty, so anything over and above that I will have to pay and argue with the selling dealer - just hoping its not going to be too much over the £1k as I am not exactly flush at the moment.

Be nice to have it done though.

xtremist
18-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Eek, Halfords....... mine was £1300, so you'll have a few £'s to part with

fat controller
18-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I kinda thought the same when they directed me there, but on the other hand they aren't likely to disappear if I do have problems later on, and the repair will be guaranteed.

If I have to pay a few hundred up front, so be it - I'll then pursue the seller for reimbursement given that I reported the fault to them a week into ownership.