PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Headlight Washers...how do they work?

rosso rocket
16-01-2013, 06:36 PM
It appears that I have headlight washers on the Superb...two chrome covers under each, which appear as if they should move.

I've had a read through the manual but its not clear how these operate....is it me or are there some weird translations to English in the handbook?

It goes on about 1st or 5th pull of the stalk to activate the washers. Eh?

Is there a simple way to check that I have indeed got them?

Have tried activating with headlights on, high beam on, pulling the lever, pushing it away...still no washers.:confused:

Anyone care to enlighten me? Cheers.

Guest 2
16-01-2013, 06:42 PM
usual scenario is dipped/main beam on and pull the stalk towards you as normal to operate the washers .. maybe hold it for 2 or 3 seconds and see what happens.

some models came with the cutouts for washers but never had them fitted.

rosso rocket
16-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi Chris, I tried the logical route a la VAG design, but no joy. I am trying to figure out a definitive answer as to whether they are fitted or not, or just not working!

Can you pull out the headlight washer jets like you can on the A3/Golf?

vwcabriolet1971
17-01-2013, 10:47 PM
My MK6 Golf headlight washers only operate on every 5th activation of the windsreen wiper washer stalk.

rosso rocket
18-01-2013, 03:15 PM
My MK6 Golf headlight washers only operate on every 5th activation of the windsreen wiper washer stalk.

Thanks for this...can you explain a little more how this actually works? Do you mean you have to pull the wiper switch towards you five times before the washers work?

It seems a bizarre way to do this as my Golf Mk4, you just needed the headlights on main beam and pull the wash/wipe stalk towards you to activate the headlight washers..why change it, it works!

vwcabriolet1971
18-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Yes it means you have to pull the wiper switch arm 5 times before they work . I would guess that this is designed to conserve the washer fluid. You only have to pull the arm lever for a very brief period each time to count as 1 operation so its quite quick to operate the headlight wash .

rosso rocket
20-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Tried it five times and more with headlights switched to main and full beams......no joy. Probably don't have them fitted then!

rabmurray9121
01-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Do you have xenon headlights as you must have headlight washers when you have xenon headlights. If you don't have xenon headlights then I don't think that you would add headlight washers when the car was built as it would be a waste of money.