PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a new A4 - advice on colours and extras

Scott K
14-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi All,
My wife is very keen on a new A4 SE Technik with the 136 engine. At the moment the only option I was keen on was the heated seats front and rear - due to being up in Scotland. She has got used to mine and the leather seats are really cold without the heaters on.
Keen to hear anyones thoughts on best colour combinations and the most worthwhile extras.
Many thanks, Scott.

CraigG86
14-01-2013, 02:22 PM
AMI is a good option, and I think the light/rain sensors are good option to have.

Scott K
14-01-2013, 02:59 PM
It's got the auto lights and wipers. The Technik has AMI and HDD sat nav but not sure what the AMI covers. Need to ask as it would be great if we could link our phones and play music from tem.

Soot1e
14-01-2013, 02:59 PM
AMI is a good option, and I think the light/rain sensors are good option to have.

Both come in the basic/technik spec.

Heated seats with leather for me is a must, not on current car and miss them greatly. TDie spec will not give you a spare wheel! don't know if you can get one as an extra for piece of mind.

CraigG86
14-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I've got the B&O sound system in mine too, and for factory equipment, it's not too shabby.

Soot1e
14-01-2013, 03:18 PM
AMI allows you to connect iPod, iPhone and iPad via a lead plugged into the AMI socket in the glove box. The lead will be supplied with the car as well as a USB lead into which you can plug in a USB stick with your music on and play via the media button on he centre console. Not 100% sure but I think the latest tech pack allows you to bond both phones and Bluetooth media devices to the car.

YawnGumbo
14-01-2013, 03:54 PM
I've got the TDIe 136 SE Technik, and I got a spare wheel with it, even though I didn't spec it. Not sure I got this because it was a company car though and the lease company specced it...? Anyway, I would recommend upgrading the satnav with the tech pack high, as this gives you the jukebox functionality which is rather good, for not very much extra money. I also paid for heated seats as the car I test drove didn't have them and I really missed them, so definitely a worthwhile option. I'd also recommend the auto-hold function. It makes driving with an electric handbrake so much easier! Other than that, the only option I wish I had specced was the storage pack, as I didn't realise quite how much Audi skimp on storage options when you don't have this (I miss my seat map pockets from previous cars!).

The only thing I would say is with the TDIe engines the SE Technik is quite a hard ride, as its got the sports suspension. If you're used to something more comfortable then go for the 143 engine, which is the same purchase price, but obviously higher CO2.

Soot1e
14-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Avant comes with space saver spare, it's the saloon which has a can of sealant. All new A4s spec'd with tech pack will come with HDD Sat Nav, DVD no longer an option.

Scott K
14-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys, great info. I'm definitely getting the hill hold as mine is a tiptronic so either has it or doesn't need it. My wife is not happy about the lack of a spare wheel so need to look into that.
I had a good look at one today and it's very spacious. The dealers are also happy to give us an overnight test which will be perfect as our road isn't the best and I'm keen to see how it handles the bumps and rough surfaces.

Pimped-Passat
15-01-2013, 09:10 AM
The B&O upgrade is very good, and I think it comes with DAB radio..?
As for colour, there's only one option worth going for..!!!! (check out my recent post & pics!)

Cheers
RedMark

ScottyUK
15-01-2013, 11:11 AM
If an Avant then the powertailgate is more useful than you'd first imagine. In this weather it also means you don't get dirty hands.

Colour - I'd definately recommend you go for a colour you like ;)

Soot1e
15-01-2013, 11:19 AM
The B&O upgrade is very good, and I think it comes with DAB radio..?

B&O and DAB available together in sound pack.

Scott K
15-01-2013, 01:11 PM
B&O and DAB available together in sound pack.
It's the options which can really add to the cost!! She now thinks that an avant might be better as she misses my A6 avant! Reason I decided to go for a saloon was we didn't need the space anymore and the A6 boot is so big. Must get her to test drive and commit to one model or we will never get it ordered. Not easy all these choices.

Scott K
20-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Well my wife took an avant for a test drive and has now ordered one in the spec she wants. A4 avant technic in white with black leather seats heated front and back, sound system pack, interior light pack, hill hold and 3 spoke multi function steering wheel. They have also added something called supagard which Ill need to find out about. The car for the test drive was an s line black edition which was nice but the 19" wheels were too much and didn't give a good ride on our roads and felt like they were tram lining.
Delivery end of March.

boom1
20-01-2013, 10:25 PM
They have also added something called supagard which Ill need to find out about.

Supagard is the paint sealant/Autoglym package. General consensus is that its a con (£200-400 for £40 worth of paint sealer and a £50 Autoglym package). Most of the detailing forums would suggest you spend the money on getting it professionally detailed, or do a proper job yourself (wash, clay, seal and wax)
Although if you got it thrown in for free then happy days.

ScottyUK
20-01-2013, 11:30 PM
The car for the test drive was an s line black edition which was nice but the 19" wheels were too much and didn't give a good ride on our roads and felt like they were tram lining.
There's no getting away from the fact that the wider the wheel the more tram lining there is. I certainly do notice it on occasion.

With regards the ride, some people have 19's with the S-line suspension. That was too hard for me.
I had a car with 19's and Sports suspension and that felt fine some times, soft other times and too skitish on occasions.
I ended up with the 19's and the Adaptive setup which I'm very happy with.

Phil K
21-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Sounds lovely! What spec does it come with standard? Is it an SE but with nav and Bluetooth?

for the sake of £100 I'd recommend the rear sun blinds... Would have never considered them if ordering new but our s/h B8 has them and they're a really nice touch - look way better than those naff suction pad mothercare jobs and invaluable if you have little ones!

ScottyUK
21-01-2013, 02:25 AM
We specced them due to our young kids. When I had a B6 S4 I bought the retrofit kit. That was more than the B8 option so we added it. I also have privacy glass and they work well together as they're a little light on light reduction on their own.

Scott K
21-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Our little ones aren't so little any more!! A sliding partition would be better when the teenage angst is taking hold! The technik adds leather, parking plus, AMI and HDD sat nav to the SE spec.

Did fancy the power tailgate but my wife didn't. I've asked her to go in and see it before she makes up her mind as she is quite short. We've got just over a week to make any alterations.

c.grex
21-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Supagaurd - dont bother. they wouldnt give it to you for free, they will hide the cost somewhere.

I had a car sales friend who said it cost them £40 for the kit (look on ebay) they then give the valet person at the dealership a cut to put it on (depends how good a job he does) and then charge you £299?? sometimes less, sometimes more.

As has been pointed out before get someone else to do a proper job or dont bother. supagaurd and gap insurance is a nice way of making money for the sales person (my friend got all the profit from both at his dealership)

ScottyUK
21-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Did fancy the power tailgate but my wife didn't. I've asked her to go in and see it before she makes up her mind as she is quite short. We've got just over a week to make any alterations.
Depending how vertically challenged she is, the power tailgate could be perfect. The reason is that you can set the height that it opens to. If she's really short then she may struggled with the conventional one. Well at least there's some ammunition for you ;)

Phil K
22-01-2013, 10:05 AM
My wife is 5'4" and copes fine with the tailgate at full height. I'd like the electric opening though as I think it looks cool!

Our lifters on the Avant have seized up slightly in the cold weather and it doesn't open to full height without a push - and for the amusement of the forum, both my wife and I have head butted it hard getting things in and out over the last week! So, I suppose that's another round about way of justifying the cost of this option! :)

ScottyUK
22-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I bumped my head when I forgot to reset the height! I'd set it as we was in a low multistory and then next time walked into it!

My wife's also 5'4" and as you say it's fine. She loves the power tail due to normally having a 3 year old and a 7 year old to hang on to or bags of shopping etc. The main thing for her though is being able to keep her hands clean! :)

Soot1e
22-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I ordered my new avant with a power tailgate as initially a personal indulgence, but the soft opening and closing means my two dogs, in their cage in the rear, are not going to be subjected to the tailgate slamming down.
My only concern is the inadvertent opening if the button is pressed whilst the key is in my pocket when the car is in my garage. On many an occasion I get my current car out with the tailgate open light displayed.

Scott K
22-01-2013, 10:55 AM
My wife's just 5'1" and can just reach the tailgate at the moment. I am a bit worried about the key being pressed inadvertently as it was mentioned on another thread. She normally keeps the keys in her handbag so shouldn't be too much of a worry.She managed to get another 400 for her old car so may as well use it!!

ScottyUK
22-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I ordered my new avant with a power tailgate as initially a personal indulgence, but the soft opening and closing means my two dogs, in their cage in the rear, are not going to be subjected to the tailgate slamming down.

That's the situation I wouldn't order a power tailgate as I'd want real control in case a tail/paw etc flicked out.

Soot1e
22-01-2013, 02:58 PM
That's the situation I wouldn't order a power tailgate as I'd want real control in case a tail/paw etc flicked out.

No paws ot tails will flick out with the cage I have!

ScottyUK
22-01-2013, 03:14 PM
I've seen people loading cars with dogs without cages and it's scary. Good to see that's not an issue for you :D

ScottyUK
22-01-2013, 03:17 PM
My only concern is the inadvertent opening if the button is pressed whilst the key is in my pocket when the car is in my garage. On many an occasion I get my current car out with the tailgate open light displayed.

I meant to respond to the above earlier. The first thing I did was open the boot with my hand above it in the garage to check the height. I knew that regardless of how careful I or the wife was, at some point the boot would open in there without us thinking about the roof/door. I was lucky as it clears the door by about an inch and I can even reverse out with the door open without catching the handle. Of course with a non power tailgate I think you just have to live with it as you can't set the height.

Can you tell I love the power tailgate? :D