PDA

View Full Version : Question Conversion queries

Underwoodr
10-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a 1988 MK1 karmann cabriolet with a 1.6 carb engine (not sure on the engine code)
My plan is to convert to a KR 1.8 16V from a mk2 GTI.
I have read the guides posted around the web but I still have a few questions.
Firstly, because mine is a cabriolet, are there any major differences for the swap?
Because mine is a carb, are any extra pieces needed to convert it to a 16v injection?
I would be buying a donor car to convert, so I don't have to hunt down pieces from scrappies etc.
Until this can be done, are there any short term ways I can improve my carb engine's power? new plugs and leads helped but id like it to have enough power to not need a gear change to go up a hill.
Thanks
Underwoodr

scotty33
19-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I guess you would need the fuel pump, all pipes and relay. exhaust system is likely to be too small a bore for the full benefit of the engine.
If you run super + fuel you could bump the timing a few degrees, would liven up the car a bit in the meantime. The KR drinks 98 R.O.N anyway, so get used to it..

Underwoodr
19-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info :)

Crasher
19-01-2013, 07:55 PM
There are a number of ways to approach this conversion and I could write a book on it so it would be better to ask individual questions as you approach the jobs. The fuel lines are an issue and I would recommend you get them from Crazy Quiff as they are a lot easier to work with although I prefer the rigid lines which at present cannot be bought. The most difficult part is going to be the electrics’ as you car has nothing that will be of the slightest help. I can email you are wiring diagram for the late fuse box method or the early system is in the Haynes Mk2 manual. This is the wiring coming out of the bulkhead on a typical conversion I used to do when this was popular.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/wiringthroughbulkhead.jpg

This particular car was a 1.6 GTI with the early fuse box so it was much more complex as I converted it to the late Mk1/early Mk2 pre 1990 fuse box to make it easier and more reliable. Of course you need to start this part of the job by removing the under dash cross brace which gets right in the way.