PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried removing the daytime driving lights?

BenR
09-01-2013, 01:13 PM
How are they fitted? I must have clouted mine or been hit by something because a lens is scuffed and there's a corresponding scuff on the spoiler close by. I don't actually use mine, hate the damn things but it is full of condensation and green slime is growing and it looks unsightly. Pressing it makes it pivot inwards at the bottom so I fear I may have broken a mounting tab or clip on the spoiler - does anybody know how they are mounted? With luck it will be a clip or tab on the light itself and I can just get it replaced at the next service.

Otherwise I'm delighted with the car; it goes on getting better and better as it gets run in. Did a very early morning run from Lancashire to Wiltshire on Boxing Day and got up to some interesting speeds on deserted motorways, yet the consumption stayed at 48 mpg and I arrived fresh and relaxed. The new Tdi engine is the biggest improvement over the B6, it gives the car a light and willing feel that makes it a delight to drive.

Doctle Odd
09-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Daytime running lights | AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html) Seems if they were factory fitted they're there to stay.

BenR
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM
If they are fitted to the inside of the spoiler they must be removable. It will be time-consuming because of the undertray, maybe it will only be worth doing when the front of the car has to be stripped down for the timing belt change.

bertj
09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
There are instructions in the handbook - look for bulb replacement information. However, I tried to replace a bulb in one but couldn't move the plastic surround. I checked with a dealer and was told that the 'easy' way to replace a bulb was to remove the engine undertray while the car was on a hoist. I managed to do it with the front of the car on ramps and then reach to the back of the DRL. This would be no use if you want to remove the whole lamp assembly as it's fastened in from the front with screws behind the plastic covers. Best of luck!