PDA

View Full Version : B8 Audi A4 Avant S Line Quattro 170 Rear Axle/Wishbone Level Sensor Linkage Broken

uncleron
05-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Hi,

I have updated this post based on some further research for anyone else that finds a broken linkage as I did........

I recently bought the car as listed in the title - I thought I would take the wheels off today to copper grease the wheel centres to make sure I don't end up not being able to remove a wheel by the roadside if I get a pucture as an experience I had with a previous VW.

When I took the rear nearside wheel off I could see a small broken linkage which was attached to the lower rear axle / wishbone. The top part attaches to a sensor with an arm on it which is bolted to a small plate which is in turn attached to the top of the rear strut - The part number of this sensor is 1T0 907 503B. I first thought this was a level sensor potentially for the front / rear brake bias under heavy braking - After speaking to the parts dept at the local Audi dealer today I was told this sensor is in fact related to the headlight level control system and that the linkage is only available with the sensor which costs £100.63! (They also had it in stock so they must be reasonably prone to breaking)

After a bit of research I have decided I am just going to replace the linkage with a higher quality one I will make up myself using these yellow zinc plated Ball & Socket joints and some stainless 6mm threaded bar I already have ;

Springfix Linkages - The UK suppliers of Ball and Socket Joints. (http://www.springfixlinkages.com/en/catalog/metric-linkages/ball-and-socket-joints/ball-and-socket-joints/r3463)

Both of the original Audi ball joints in this linkage look pretty poor in quality in my car with a lot of rust and one joint totally seized which caused the plastic socket to break off the linkage - If anyone else has this linkage on their A4 which is easy to see near the rear nearside strut on a UK car I would recommend putting a touch of grease on the ball & socket joints on it it any time you have the rear nearside wheel off to avoid any future hassle.........

John140
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice to see there are a few 'proper engineers' still out there !