PDA

View Full Version : a4 b8 drls

elkots
03-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi all i have the led light package on my a4 b8. I noticed just after i bought that the os drl doesnt look as bright as the ns. What i mean is it doesnt look as bright white a fraction off colour than nearside. Does this sound like the bulb is on its way out? Can they be changed? Car is now out of warranty.:(

Phil K
04-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Hi elkots, we picked up our A4 on Tuesday and I have noticed a similar difference between the headlights. They appear to be the same brightness but one side is a slightly different colour temperature to the other - the drivers side is ever so slightly more green and the near side is slightly more blue. Not sure which one is right but would basically assume they have been made using LEDs from a different batch.

Good quality LEDs should l be fine for approx 50,000 hours use and should still perform well after this amount of time but the output can reduce (maybe down to about 70% of the original output) and the colour temperature will shift slightly as the diodes age.

My guess is that yours and my headlights may have had one of the units changed at some point during the vehicles life hence the visible difference. The only remedy would be to change them for a matching pair but to be honest, they work, it does not effect the performance, they won't be anywhere near failing (I hope) and they look cool enough!

As I say ours are similarly bright enough and its only a very slight difference in colour temp so I'm not bothered enough to do anything about it and won't lose any sleep over it. I don't think you need worry about them failing.

elkots
06-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for your input phil. Il leave at that then.