PDA

View Full Version : Question What to look for on 1992 Coupe e

Gal
27-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi all. Very long time since I have been on here. Must be over 5 years since I owned an E reg coupe GT. Before that for all of 3 days some 80 series
Question is I may look at a 1992 Coupe e 2L. What should I keep my eyes out for when purchasing it? Any faults they have etc etc?

Cheers ;);)

scotty33
28-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi

Generally they are good solid cars, the weaknesses I can think of, are

front suspension; namely wishbone bushes (clunking, car wanders) top mounts (clunking) anti roll bar droplinks (rattling)

Heater controls can become stuck/stiff to operate.

handbrake mechanisms can become stuck/seized (caliper change needed)

heater matrix leaks, check heater gets hot (bodged heater matrix fix)

Engine not known for being a strong performer, but should drive smoothly, the engine breather system can become sludged up, the digifant inj system can suffer from ECU relay gremlins (relay 30) causes a variety of symptoms from poor running, hot bonnet, smelly exhaust, bucking/jerking at certain engine speeds - either replace relay (approx £14) or sort out the bad soldering on the old one.
There can be issues with the 'air mass meter' the electrical part is a variable resistor and can become worn, where the contact on the moving arm bears across it's surface.

I would caution you that the ABS probably is the earlier type which does not communicate diagnostically, it would be worth checking the light goes out as it should and the system operates as it should.

edit central locking runs off vacuum/pressure check all operate inc tailgate and fuel filler, should operate off alarm fob and off both doors

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, I'm sure others will chime in with more.. good luck!

fourringsrus
30-12-2012, 06:45 PM
As above , plus door seals, sunroof seals and gutters and a favourite is the rear lamp cluster seals let water into the lamp unit thus giving the christmas light jobby due to rusted up connections and messed up bulb holder units