PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk5 Disc wear

Steven-John
19-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Folks

My Golf Mk5 has only done 15,000 and is not quite 2 years old. The car is my pride and joy and it has been very well treated. It still has that "new car smell"!

I am getting a pulsating feeling when I apply the brakes and I took it in to the local VW dealer who tells me that it is a warped disc. He says that this is "wear and tear" and the work to replace the discs (I understand that you ahve to do both wheels,) will not be covered by the warranty.

Can this be right - should modern day discs only expect to last 15,000??

Fanks

Steven-John

Ben
19-08-2007, 07:51 PM
if they need replacing thay are easy enough to do yourself.

go through the how to section and theres a guide to changing discs on a mk4 golf/bora but the mk5 can't be much different.

Steven-John
19-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Many thanks

Steven-John

Ben
19-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Do you think you'll do it yourself?

Why don't you document it if you do.

chrisvrscrx
19-08-2007, 09:46 PM
It depends how you drive as to how long they last. They get warped because of heavy braking often, this make this disc heat up and the heat distorts them.

Modern disc don't last as long as they used to normally pads and disc need changing together. This is because the surfaces are made of different material that give better friction so therefore better brakes, the only problem with this is that they wear quicker.

Kwick fit have an offer if you get them to replace your disc and pads they will replace them for free everytime they need doing. This is only worth while if your gunna keep the car for a while because they tend to be a bit expensive.

Hope this helps.

Steven-John
20-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Chrisvrscrx

Many thanks for your comments. I bought the car as an ex VW demo at 8,000 miles and have done only 7,000 more in the past year. I felt that the discs should last for around 60,000 miles - clearly not.

It is interesting to note what you say about the pads and discs having to be replaced at the same time with modern day brakes. I had no idea that was the case.

Thanks also for your tip about Kwickfit.

Steven-John

Steven-John
20-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi GOLFMK5GTTDI

I don't think so - i have neither the cabability nor the equipment to do the job myself. I know my limitations!

Steven-John