PDA

View Full Version : Hi... Just bought a B5.5 auto estate!

MrShades
19-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi Folks!

Just a quick intro, as I've just (yesterday) paid a deposit on a B5.5 to replace my MG ZT-T (great car - in many ways I wish I still had it!)

My Passat is a 2005 Highline TDI PD 130 auto estate (what a mouth full!), in black with 25K on the clock. Paid £12.2K for it - which seemed more than reasonable having looked around or a while... and this one looks and almost still smells like new.

I'm now looking around at various options (ie spending more money on it!) like:

- fitting front fogs
- upgrading standard 2 x single DIN radio/CD combo to the MFD thingy (which, other than a bit of cost looks very easy).
- mats all round
- as the ZT-T had a multi-fuction steering wheel, I'd love to be able to upgrade the passat to one - but this appears to be more than a bit of a challenge, so it looks (for the time being) as if I'll be reaching for the stereo controls!
- Any more good suggestions??????????

The Passat will be my 'day-to-day' car, whilst the 2003 Impreza STi (yes, blue ,big spoiler, etc.) that I've owned from new will continue to live out its days tucked up in the garage, only to come out to play on special occasions (it's done 18K from new and is perfect in every way - and at 320bhp is a fun drive on a Sunday).

I'm going to continue to read through countless posts on here, will probably ask a few stupid questions - and hopefully, by the time I take delivery of the Passat at the end of the month (don't want to tax it for 10 days of August!), I'll have all the knowledge I need to enjoy a good few years of ownership.

Still don't like the idea of owning another black car though... had one before, spent my life washing and polishing it!

Cheers!!!

Shades

PS If there's any way to add some of the options that I had on the ZT-T then I'd be very pleased to here about:

- any way to do rain sensitive wipers
- auto dimming rear view mirror - seen something on this somewhere...
- multifunction steering wheel (ie stereo controls on the wheel) - added again as it's a big one for me!

Ben
19-08-2007, 07:18 PM
welcome, A few interesting challenges there.

I've seen 2 steering wheels that you need on ebay here is the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120151119602&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I suppose the wheel, wipers and mirror may depend on whether the wiring is already in place.

1st thing to do i'd say is ask at a few dealers as it maybe possible but they may not want the job.

Obviously it cheaper to diy and you do have a spare car if it takes more than a day.

Good luck to you.

And if you do do it, take lots of photos and compose a How To write up fou us all to read.

Eshrules
19-08-2007, 07:19 PM
hi and welcome to the forum :beerchug: