PDA

View Full Version : Time to leave

The Polisher
21-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Well, after 3 years and nearly 140k, its time to order a new company car.

New list arrived the other day and I'm sorry to say I shall be leaving the Audi brand.

Nothing against it, thoroughly enjoyed my time with Audi..... but I'm bored and I fancy a change, the A4 is just not big enough now and the new A6 Avant is just a little outside my reach.

So, I'm going to the dark side in either E Class Merc or BMW 5 series.

Thanks for all the help chaps, been a pleasure!

Puresilk
21-12-2012, 04:38 PM
What's the mileage condition of your Audi now as I presume you had it from brand new ?

And the E class is sweet but so is the 5 Series I would go for 520 d M sport if its on the list.

kodkod.84
21-12-2012, 08:44 PM
There are pics of MY2014 E-class over on netcarshow, looks great!

The Polisher
21-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Puresilk, yes had it from spanking with delivery miles, factory order due to the towbar. Now got 133k on it, still as good as the day I got it apart from a shiny steering wheel at the top! Don't regret the decision for one moment, but when I ordered it, it was just me, the wife, 1 dog and a small ish caravan. Now got 2 kids, 2 dogs, big caravan (kept the wife too!) and it just is not big enough anymore!

BMW 520d SE only I'm afriad, the M sport is just out of reach. Even so, still an awesome piece of kit. But then again, the Mercedes E Class E220Cdi SE Estate is just as nice. The new 2014 model which it will be (any new orders at dealers from Jan 1st will be that new spec) looks very nice. Small tidy up of front, rear and minor interior works.

But, still sad to be leaving my lovely A4, or "George" as my girls call it. My wife and I adopted two girls 2 years ago and its the car I bought them home in....... lots of wonderful memories. Had to break it to the girls that the new "George" won't hav 4 silver rings on the front (they shout out "4 silver rings!!" everytime we see an Audi!) and they were heartbroken.......... ahhhhh.

Puresilk
22-12-2012, 07:30 PM
That's something I have yet to experience a spanking new car, well good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to go for!

pete99
22-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Puresilk, yes had it from spanking with delivery miles, factory order due to the towbar. Now got 133k on it, still as good as the day I got it apart from a shiny steering wheel at the top! Don't regret the decision for one moment, but when I ordered it, it was just me, the wife, 1 dog and a small ish caravan. Now got 2 kids, 2 dogs, big caravan (kept the wife too!) and it just is not big enough anymore!

BMW 520d SE only I'm afriad, the M sport is just out of reach. Even so, still an awesome piece of kit. But then again, the Mercedes E Class E220Cdi SE Estate is just as nice. The new 2014 model which it will be (any new orders at dealers from Jan 1st will be that new spec) looks very nice. Small tidy up of front, rear and minor interior works.

But, still sad to be leaving my lovely A4, or "George" as my girls call it. My wife and I adopted two girls 2 years ago and its the car I bought them home in....... lots of wonderful memories. Had to break it to the girls that the new "George" won't hav 4 silver rings on the front (they shout out "4 silver rings!!" everytime we see an Audi!) and they were heartbroken.......... ahhhhh.
Dont close the gate after the horse has bolted. YOU WILL BE BACK !!

Meanwhile- best wishes to you from all on here --enjoy the break.
Happy xmas .

Puresilk
23-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I love Audi but I also like the 3 series coupe, and e-class merc so I would be tempted to try other brands if an opportunity came along : )

pitch3110
24-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Funny how these places move on.

The real nice bunch of 2009 are all slowly changing, but like me, it's nice to pop back and lend some advise.

Best ones matey and good luck with the new car hunt.

Ta
pitch

The Polisher
27-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, test drive day over.

Verdict.

BMW 5 Series, nice, but overly confusing dashboard, "hemmed in" feeling when driving, everything seems to cosset around you. Jiggly ride (flippin' run flats!) even on the SE. Hard unforgiving seats.

Mercedes E Class.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, soft, soft soft. Comfy, relaxing, surprisingly nippy even though only the 2.2 diesel. Auto box very smooth, annoying handbrake, but its an auto so why do you need one?. Apart from that minor annoyance..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Decision made me thinks!

pete99
27-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, test drive day over.

Verdict.

BMW 5 Series, nice, but overly confusing dashboard, "hemmed in" feeling when driving, everything seems to cosset around you. Jiggly ride (flippin' run flats!) even on the SE. Hard unforgiving seats.

Mercedes E Class.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, soft, soft soft. Comfy, relaxing, surprisingly nippy even though only the 2.2 diesel. Auto box very smooth, annoying handbrake, but its an auto so why do you need one?. Apart from that minor annoyance..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Decision made me thinks!

It's onl a car. Novelty wears off in 1 or 2 months .Much more important things in life .

Besides that- join up with Merc forum--and see how you feel then !!
I did - ya ya ya ya .

kodkod.84
27-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Is the Merc still a footbrake with the lever on the right hand side to release? I got told by a salesman at MB it's so you don't keep touching up your front seat passenger's leg lol, very surprised they haven't gone electronic parking brake yet.

May only be a car but if you're gonna be stuck with it for 3+ years and spend most of your driving hours in it you may as well make the right personal choice :)

The Polisher
28-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Yep, still left foot to engage, lever on right lower dash to disengage. Would be annoying with a manual, but with auto....... you have park so handbrake not really needed! Plus, all have hill-hold as standard.

I do about 40k a year, so a spend a lot of my life in my car, I want a nice place to be!

big ironman
28-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Had my E350D for 15 months now and it's great - Merc will be different to your Audi but I am sure you'll be delighted with it. I do use the handbrake if on a gradient (to save the 'clonk' when you deselect park) but you get used to it.

What really niggles me..? the gear select is on the right of the sterring column >>exactly<< where the washer stalk is on most other cars. I think this is standard on all E mercs now (no centre column selector) - possibly not on one you have test-driven. This sounds ok till you tap the end as you pull away in the morning to clear the screen - up to 5mph it pops you back into park with a real thump! Sometimes you'll pop it in neutral when you want to change the wipers too. You'll get used to it, but then you'll be switching on the wipers when you want to select revers in other cars! I'm not saying Merc are wrong - in fact it's nice - but it's the lacking of consistency between manufacturers that niggles.

Also, watch out for the tailgate / boot opening on the key. On most cars you have to be close to the car, or tap the remote button twice to activate it. On the Merc, you press and hold 2 seconds. This happens when it is in your pocket, and the range is over 100m and it works through walls - a few times I have come out of a restaurant and found the tailgate open for anyone to help themselves.

If you can stretch to it, I'd recommend the 250 - a few comments on the merc forum re 220 could use a bit more grunt. As above, I can recommend the Merc forum (there are 2 frequented by a lot of UK folk) - they are really active (hundreds of posts every day).
Enjoy!

The Polisher
28-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Thank Ironman. I did drive the one with the column mounted lever, like you say, will take some getting used to! 250 would be nice, but out of my budget!

Which forum for Merc is best, seen a few but can't work out which one is the best for new cars.

Useful point about the taillgate, not considered that! Is there anyway to disable the key so you have to unlock the car, then hit the button inside or on the tailgate to open?

thanks

big ironman
28-12-2012, 12:36 PM
The 220 is still a very nice car, and for the most part when you are cruising you won't need the extra. I believe a lot of the motoring correspondents recommend that model because it has loads of torque.

The tailagte cannot be changed - just be careful - some people get a small spectacle case to pop the key into in their pocket. Incidentally, I have a pal who has a similar proplem with 'summer open' on his BMW - occasionally he came back to find all the windows open. The Merc only does that if you hold the key close to the car.

MBCLUB.CO.UK seems to be the more active merc forum, but also worth trying mercedesclub.org.uk. A lot of people are on both and stacks of useful info with amazingly knowledgeable people to answer any question. Take some photos when you get it and post them - the members like to see pics! Also, there are a few threads on options that people like/use, and those that they don't - worth a browse if you can't decide what to spec.

The Polisher
03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
MBCLUB.CO.UK seems like a friendly place, but not as friendly as on here!

Anyway, deed done, placed the order this morning. Done the paperwork to remove my private plate and return the car to its original plate. I wonder where VO59BLN will end up next!

The Polisher
03-02-2013, 04:43 PM
............ and back to square one again!

Can't get the E class, none left in the UK of the right spec, and all new orders will be the 2013 facelift model, which has bigger wheels and puts it the emissions up and then outside the company co2 limit!

Grrrr!

So, think its back to a 520d SE Touring now!

kodkod.84
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Ah that's a shame- still new BMW looks good, does the touring have the hinged window on the tailgate?

You've done some epic mileage in your Audi- my Golf is 16 years old and only done 110k :)

big ironman
03-02-2013, 09:47 PM
............ which has bigger wheels and puts it the emissions up and then outside the company co2 limit!

Not that is a surprise - considering everything manufacturers seem to do these days is to improve economy and therefore reduce emissions. MB are actually withdrawing larger engined models (from the UK market at least) in an attempt to reduce their overall (average) emissions.

Anyway, if it has to be a BMW, that's a seriously nice car - some would say better than the Merc and really nothing to complain about! Enjoy.

The Polisher
04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Ah that's a shame- still new BMW looks good, does the touring have the hinged window on the tailgate?

You've done some epic mileage in your Audi- my Golf is 16 years old and only done 110k :)

Power operated tailgate as standard, or you can just lift open the glass. Epic idea, don't know why more don't do it!

Mileage is, well...... high-ish! But its a work car and I cover the whole UK, except Scotland. average 800 a week, sometimes more! I really need an auto!