PDA

View Full Version : 1995 6N Polo 1.0 AEV, Intermitantly cutting out

ORACLEST9293
19-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Evening all,

I have a 1995 M'reg Polo 1.0, around 6 months ago I had a problem with starting the car, where it would start and istantly switch off again. I had this diagnosed as either A. The Key reader coil or B. The immobiliser itself. I was told that to get around the problem I could just unplug the lead from the reader coil and plug it back in.

Since then it has done it maybe once in the last 6 months, however around a week ago I was driving along, and as a pulled away from a set of lights I completely lost power and the engine cut out. I tried restarting the car but the engine just turned over and over and over. After about 5 minutes the car started and I set off again. 2 miles later I came to another set of lights, and again as I pulled away and changed into second gear, as soon as the car became under laod again the engine just cut out. There was no spluttering or labouring, it was just as if someone had turned the key off.

Again, the car wouldnt start and just turned over and over. The fuel pump was still priming audibly but the car was just not even attempting to fire. For fear of killnig the battery I gave up and was sat in the middle of a busy junction for around 30 minutes.

A friend turned up with the intention of towing me to a nearby yard, but mirraculously the car started. The car then drove another 2 miles and was switched off and left.

Since then I have made very few journeys and even when I have due to the weather they havent even been a mile. The car has been fine on those journeys, and on Monday morning I made the 9 mile trip to work and it was fine, and then the 9 mile trip home in the evening.

Yesterday morning the car started fine, I drove out of the close, and set off to work. Within 60 seconds and less than an eighth of a Mile the car switched off and I pulled over. This time the car would start and immediately cut out again, so I unplugged the reader coil, plugged it back in and started the car, she stayed running and I decided to turn around and go home, within 30 feet the car cut out again, but then restarted immediatley. A further 150 feet down the road it cut out again turning out of a junction, and then a further 2 times as I was trying to park at home.

I have done some research and it seems that the starting issue is very commonly caused by the reader coils signal breaking down, so I am looking to replace it, however ... Once the car is running, I can completely disconnect and remove the reader coil and it stays running ? is this normal ?

I have read that a cause of the engine cutting out like this (of which im sure the problem is electrical related) can be the Ignition Coil pack and/or the ignition switch itself.

When the engine is runnning it is perfect, so spluttering, noises or anything, SO Im sure she is getting fuel and spark etc. Im certain the problem is electrical related and with that neither me or my dad really have a clue, we can only go on what we read or are told.

Could the problem be the ignition coil ? if it is breaking down under load ? could it be the King lead ? if anyone does have any suggestions or have had a similar problem then any help or advice is really appreciated.

Im meant to be spending time and money getting my 91 Audi Coupe on the road and now this pops up right on top of Christmas, Im on a very tight budget but need the car to get to work in the new year.

Any help greatly recieved,

Many thanks

Sam