PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt Change?

SattyA4
18-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi, I drive an A4 B8 1.8t S Line 2008. Went to my local Audi dealer today (Birmingham Audi) and asked about when my cam belt needs to be changed. They said every 5 years. My car has nearly 80,000 Miles on it, which I thought would be the correct time to change the belt. Any ideas if this sound correct?

Thanks

Brycie
18-12-2012, 07:09 PM
I don't know if it's different with your model, but any car I owned would have had it's cambelt done before 80k miles. I would be booking it in asap.

Danny-boy
18-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I think my B7 was done as recommended at 60k miles.

Guest 2
18-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I stick to 60k or 4 years whatever comes first

mhurer
19-12-2012, 07:29 AM
People used to recommend changing the water pump at the same time to save on labour costs. Is this still a sensible and cost-effective recommendation, and any idea how much this would additionally cost at dealer and inde?

Guest 2
19-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Definitely get the water pump done too - your dealer should be able to tell you how much.

SattyA4
19-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks ladies and gents, I thought this sounded a bit odd, Im going to book it in today. Anybody got any ideas if they would give me a courtesy car being 18 Years old?

sportq
19-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Definitely get the water pump done too - your dealer should be able to tell you how much.

Historically the water pump was changed at the same time as timing belt because VAG, in their wisdom, ran both off the same belt. There were instances where workshops just changed the timing belt and later on the water pump would seize and strip the teeth off the reinforced rubber belt or snap the chain (depending on the engine) destroying a large part of the engine (and onwers wallet :Blush: ).

This was certainly true for the 2.6 V6 I had. I would have thought they'd have changed the design by now though.

Peter

legendamongus
19-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks ladies and gents, I thought this sounded a bit odd, Im going to book it in today. Anybody got any ideas if they would give me a courtesy car being 18 Years old?

I wouldn't expect a courtesy car to be honest. Their insurance usually says something about being only for those aged 25+ or something, which is daft when you consider that the poverty-spec box they'll probably give you has less power than what you've driven in with... Worth an ask anyway though!

SattyA4
06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Well finally getting the cam belt and water pump changed by Birmingham Audi for £529. They have said to me that I will receive a courtesy car, they said its usually like for like which is good, need something with 4 doors so a A1 would be useless. Im surprised they would allow an 19 year old to have a courtesy car to be honest.

Doctle Odd
06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't get TOO excited it's half a days labour probably less

SattyA4
07-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't get TOO excited it's half a days labour probably less Ive got it for a couple of days, there are a couple things which need to be done.

preamble
07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I just had my A4 B8 Avant (80k) done this week at Birmingham Audi for £529, after getting 2 other quotes from independents £450 and £467, I decided to just pay the extra and get it done by a main dealer. Best of all they collected it on Friday and they were going to drop it back off the same days as I need to go to London on Friday night for wedding celebrations on Saturday and Sunday. They had some issues and out of courtesy provided me an equivalent car for the weekend which I kept until Monday. Wait for it a black 62 plate A4 B8 2.0 tdi sline black edition - sweet! Excellent service from service start to finish which I don't mind paying a premium for. I will be returning this month to get my first MOT done and the front and back discs and pads, again cost different is about £70 more from a main dealer but given they are just 1mile from where I live it makes it the easiest option for me. Just in case you think I have more money than sense I'm getting new tyres on the front tomorrow - cheapest place I found was Asda tyres for some goodyears to match the back and best of all I can get them fitted at a local halfords autocentre. Audi wanted £200 per wheel, where as I can get it done for £276 for both. At the end of the day shop around and make a decision based on what works best for you, sometimes paying a premium is worth it and other times common sense will steer you clear.

SattyA4
12-02-2013, 05:51 PM
You have got to see this!
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?142651-Birmingham-Audi-Call-yourself-a-Main-Dealers