PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Petrol in diesel

vinut
16-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi, I know the wrong fuel thing has been well covered but I'd be grateful for any advice. My wife (honest!!) put about 3.5 litres of petrol in our 2002 Passat 1.9 Tdi SE the other evening. The car was nearly empty. She then added about 30 litres of diesel. It ran fine the next day (doing a 50 mile round trip) until the evening when it suddenly refused to start. After about 10 minutes of trying it reluctantly spluttered into life and drove fine. This morning it started first time as usual but has had several episodes of been a bit reluctant. Apart from the starting issues it runs as normal. Will this issue resolve itself? Cheers

Guest 2
16-12-2012, 08:16 PM
id be changing the fuel filter for good measure

welcome to vwaf ;)

zollaf
16-12-2012, 08:17 PM
as long as the starting issue is the petrol, then yes it will get better. i would get straight down to a pump and brim it with diesel though. 25 % max petrol is what vw told us when i worked for vw assist, so you are well within that limit. petrol doesn't ignite as well as diesel without something to light it, wheras diesel goes just with heat, hence why it has trouble starting.

jammy86
17-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Just keep topping the tank up every day for the next few hundred miles and you'll be fine :) Changing the fuel filter might be worth it as the petrol will rise above the diesel in the filter which might be your starting issue but as above if it starts....

adamss24
17-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I would not worry about it at all, just add a little 2 stroke oil to the tank and you should be good ! I always add a few liters of petrol when going to eastern europe in winter, the cold weather makes the fuel gel...petrol or kerosene stops it from getting too thick !

vinut
17-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for taking time to reply. Not worried now. Cheers

dib
17-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Did this to mine some 50k ago and did no harm whatsoever, if anything it ran a little smoother with a touch of petrol.

zollaf
17-12-2012, 07:34 PM
petrol is a cheaper alternative to injector cleaners.

neilos100
17-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I would not worry about it at all, just add a little 2 stroke oil to the tank and you should be good ! I always add a few liters of petrol when going to eastern europe in winter, the cold weather makes the fuel gel...petrol or kerosene stops it from getting too thick !

Just use their diesel.....they winterize it by increasing the cetane levels....won't gel till around -26C. :thumbup:

Sent from my phone...