PDA

View Full Version : How do you drive your multitronic on icy roads?

Jason Carson
13-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi,

So this is my first winter with an automatic car (multitronic).

I was wondering how people drive them in ice and snow? for example "flappy paddles" or auto.... When I was younger my mum had a 2.5ltr V6 MG ZT automatic and on the side of the stick I'm pretty sure it had a snow flake button which I assume was for winter use and maybe changed gear changing and torque usage perhaps? Does the Audi have anything like this or do you just jump in, drive and hope for the best?

Sorry for all the questions.

Guest 2
13-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Put it into S mode as it won't change up a gear if you're creeping along and will stay in 1st.

Jason Carson
13-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Put it into S mode as it won't change up a gear if you're creeping along and will stay in 1st.

I'll give it a try tonight on the way home, my work place is down about 3 miles of back roads which never get gritted so should be able to give it a good test.

I thought S mode would be the last thing I would need but i can see your point.

Thxs

Longdog
13-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Just stick some winter tyres on and you can drive as normal, pretty much!

tonyandkaty
13-12-2012, 08:27 PM
What I do is put it into the manual side of the box, as it won't change up gear unless you red line it, pretty much the same as putting it into S Mode :-)

pitch3110
14-12-2012, 07:54 PM
My previous A4 Multi was fine in the snow although it did struggle on occasions and I opt'd for the wifeys manual Edition 30.

Sticking it in manual is the way forward.

Ta
pitch

Jason Carson
15-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Well yesterday I went for my drive in the ice / snow not because I wanted too but because I had too.. I found that on the real bad back roads which don't get gritted and force you too crawl along between 20 - 30mph the S-Mode worked great so thanks for the tips guys, plus the paddles worked just as well. I felt in control of the car just as much as I did with my manual A3 which was surprising, also turning the traction control off helped loads as I found with it on the slightest bit of wheel spin pulled the car sideways slightly, by turning the traction control off the problem was fixed and car pulled nice and straight when the wheels were slipping slightly.

(Only downside and most probably wont agree with what I'm about to say) - WARNING! CHILD SIDE ABOUT TO BE REVEALED.
It wasn't fun!!!! We live in a farm house and have massive areas of nice open spaced solid concrete. I realised handbrake turns or slightly using the handbrake to bring the rear round is out of the question due to the electronic handbrake. I know this is silly and completely un-necessary but their was slight disappointment on my face as my brother was tearing it up with his type-r honda civic as I had to ask him if I could have a go whilst my A4 sat watching. It's just something we've done every year...

Guest 2
15-01-2013, 10:07 AM
The handbrake gets some abuse in my A3 at 2am going to work since there is no-one about in the show and ice .. I'm such a child!

Can get the A6 sideways too since it's quattro, esp off and boot the throttle and the car sorts everything out itself :D

smarts
16-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I go for manual mode, as I find the engine braking controls the speed better. I've noticed that compared to the 1.9 B6, the B8 seems more picky as to when it'll let me change up :confused:

YawnGumbo
16-01-2013, 07:07 PM
On the handbrake turns front, you can do an emergency stop with the electronic handbrake by holding it up (I think its listed somewhere in the manual) - could this work? Perhaps not quite as immediate or as fun as a manual, but an alternative to slumming it in the Honda ;)

Guest 2
16-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Yep pulling the button towards you and holding it there will initiate an emergency stop :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Carson
16-01-2013, 10:49 PM
On the handbrake turns front, you can do an emergency stop with the electronic handbrake by holding it up (I think its listed somewhere in the manual) - could this work? Perhaps not quite as immediate or as fun as a manual, but an alternative to slumming it in the Honda ;)

I never knew this, gonna try it next time I get a chance. Tyres are only a couple of months old so gonna go gentle.

Guest 2
16-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Remember to dip your clutch if anyone with a manual wants to try this.

Done it once or twice on my A6 and my lord the car stops very quickly!

Jason Carson
17-01-2013, 08:56 AM
In addition to A6_Chris,

Wear your seatbelt.