PDA

View Full Version : B7 RS4 Brake Discs

RJKflyer
18-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Have just had front pads replaced on RS4, to be told that the DISCS were at the WEAR LIMIT after 10,500 miles. I've not had it on the track, but am reasonably hard.

Seems unreasonable. 850 quid. Not under warranty, which i am contesting. The problem is that the pads have got harder patches where the friction material is bonded to the backplate and these wear 3 radial grooves in the discs on BOTH sides at the same point. Hence the thickness, or thinnness, is at its worst at these points and so qualifies as minm thickness.

Anyone else had this problem????

juliansmith12
08-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Had the same problem with my 56 plate RS4 Avant. Told it required front pads & discs at 15k service, assured by SKF AUDI in Stockport that even though the warning light had not yet come on, it would do very soon.

Quoted me £1075 for the work which I declined. I'm at 18.5k now with no sign of a warning light yet and the brakes feel normal.

Looking at aftermarket alternatives which are at least half the price, as i intend to keep the car for another 18 months its no real issue.

Did contact Audi Customer Service to complain about the short life of the parts, told me to go away, wear and tear! As I'm still on the original set of tyres, I don't think my driving is that hard!

Will post whatever solution I go for when the light finally comes on!

Jules

RS6
21-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi guys. With regards to the brake discs on your RS4 - I had the same problem with my RS6. This is a massive con. Audi want you to replace pads and discs at the same time - we all know that discs last longer than pads and don't normally need to be replaced together. The way Audi get around this is to put rivets in the brake pads! When the pads get to around half worn the rivets come through and start to mark/score the discs, hence accelerating the wear and requiring the customer to replace both together. I no longer use Audi pads on my vehicle and instead have gone over to EBC pads. I use Red Stuff pads, they actually brake better, give off less brake dust, are cheaper and you can use all of the pad not just 50% of it. I have just ordered discs for the front of my vehicle which are impossible to get hold of apart from main dealer. The same may be true for the RS4. I found a VW main dealer on Ebay and paid £425.00 for the front as opposed to £600 from Audi for original discs. Their number is 01302 364 141. With regards to the EBC pads, over here they are around £150.00, I found an American website and on that they are $120.00, £60.00!! So I'm having a friend in the states send them over to me. The pads for the RS4 are the same. The website is www.autopartswarehouse.com (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com) Hope this helps.

Skip
28-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I started getting a judder under braking a few days ago 10k miles on clock. Audi confirmed warped discs replacing under warrenty today. ;)

nigelf
01-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi, i've just joined this forum after seeing some of your comments on rs4 brakes. I have just complained directly to Jeremy Hicks about my experience. I bought an rs4 in June from John Fox Audi. Around August/Sept time i started to get bad brake squeel and i noticed 'radial scoring' on both front discs. I took it to Swindon Audi, where i live. They looked at it for 15 mins and told me that the squeel was down to brake dust build up and that the discs were just normal wear and tear. Not happy with this response, i contacted Audi customer services directly. They then asked Swindon to call me back, which after several weeks they failed to do!! I then resolved, with customer services, to take my car to Reading where i work. The dealership there had the car for the day and they have said the following - the pads were worn by 90%, the wear sensors had been 'disconnected' and that they could only assume that a stone had caused the disc damage!! Oh yeah ON BOTH SIDES???! I spoke to customer services who so very kindly offered to pay for one of the discs as a sign of good faith!! I've done 8k since buying the car, so i am wandering 1) how thorough was that used car inspection at John Fox (i'm sure they didn't disconnect the sensor to hide anything!), 2) How can a dealership like Swindon be allowed to carry on trading under the Audi flag? I have heard numerous bad complaints about them. It was a good job my brakes weren't falling off because they certainly wouldn't have noticed and i would have ended up in a ditch! I'm glad i have that info about the rivets on the pads now, you'll never guess who i'm going to be talking to about this!! I really hope that Mr Hicks gets this matter sorted out.

Andyuk911
29-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Any update on your claim ?

I am just now looking for pads !

But now I am going to check my disc's

nik.riley
11-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Have just taken my 56 plate RS4 in to sheffield Audi for recall boot repair to be told that my brake pads AND discs require replacement. £1k quoted. Not ammused. Aren't the pads supposed to protect the discs from wear? Surely thats the point.

Lateknight
11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
If its any help I can get you the following Genuine Audi brakes for your RS4.

RS4 Front brakediscs - steel, drilled and vented '8E0615301AB' for £246 each inc vat (instead of £343.03 each at your local)

RS4 Front brakepads set '8E0698151Q' for £202.74 (instead of £220.38 at your local).

All the same items you would buy from your dealer.

Only trouble is you would have to collect from Nottinghamshire or arrange your own courier.

:beerchug:

bez101
11-06-2009, 08:47 PM
4 members all joined nov 2007 all thought they would post the same day

VERY STRANGE :confused:

kodkod.84
11-06-2009, 10:23 PM
all one post wonders too- you would have thought owning an enthusiasts car like the RS4 you might be a tad more active on the forums......