PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems (STRANGE ONE)

Jamie1980
11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi all. I brought a skoda Fabia 2 and i have had absolutley no problems with it up to today, I went down the tescos and jumped in the car and reversed the car out. The car would then only turn right. you can bring the wheels straght again but and move it right with no hassle what so ever but when you move it from the central possition to move left it just locks and will not move. I have tried it with the igniton off as well but what ever you try and do it will not move left. Both the wheels move right with out a problem.. I took the track rod ends off the wheels and i get the same thing.. I have had a long chat with skoda and all the say is its the rack so i went out this afernoon and got a new rack for it. and fitted it but it does the same thing. Even with the engine off. I can not seem to work it out. anyone got any ideas ???

Any ideas would be gratfull recieved or any problems you had had there are no lights on the dash or anything so i am really stumped as i was told there was a steering fault light
so even the ECU does not think there is a fault..

The last resort i can think of is disconnect the pipes for the rack for power steering and see if that helps.

micheal balbrig
11-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi all. I brought a skoda Fabia 2 and i have had absolutley no problems with it up to today, I went down the tescos and jumped in the car and reversed the car out. The car would then only turn right. you can bring the wheels straght again but and move it right with no hassle what so ever but when you move it from the central possition to move left it just locks and will not move. I have tried it with the igniton off as well but what ever you try and do it will not move left. Both the wheels move right with out a problem.. I took the track rod ends off the wheels and i get the same thing.. I have had a long chat with skoda and all the say is its the rack so i went out this afernoon and got a new rack for it. and fitted it but it does the same thing. Even with the engine off. I can not seem to work it out. anyone got any ideas ???

Any ideas would be gratfull recieved or any problems you had had there are no lights on the dash or anything so i am really stumped as i was told there was a steering fault light
so even the ECU does not think there is a fault..

The last resort i can think of is disconnect the pipes for the rack for power steering and see if that helps.

When rods were disconnected was steering column freely turning both ways. Were both suspension swivels turning freely
Regards
Michael

Jamie1980
12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
no even when rods where disconnected it still locks up and both sides move freely... I have been told its hydrolicy locked up on the left hand way...

i have taken out the 19mm bolt that holds on one of the pipes buit still nothing i would of thought that would of released it..

any ideas...

micheal balbrig
12-12-2012, 10:55 PM
no even when rods where disconnected it still locks up and both sides move freely... I have been told its hydrolicy locked up on the left hand way...

i have taken out the 19mm bolt that holds on one of the pipes buit still nothing i would of thought that would of released it..

any ideas...

Only thing that comes to mind is joints on steering column. but when rack was removed it probably would have been evident if anything was amiss.
Hopefully someone will come along with solution for you.
Could it be steering lock problem. Was steering on full lock when car was parked.
Regards
Michael