PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Drier Replacement

jim_tdi
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi, I am replacing my kaput AC compressor on an A4 TDi 130 AWX 2003 Avant. I have been advised that the warranty is only applicable if I replace the receiver drier at the same time. I am doing some research - the compressor is easily reachable and I have removed it previously to get the part number. However, I can't find a walk through on replacing the receiver drier. From some research, mostly US sites, it looks like the drier is behind the bumper, next to the condensor, beneath the headlight. Does that mean it's a bumper off job to reach and replace it?

Many thanks for any help.

Col
11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
You can see it from below once the undershield is off.

What you might have trouble with are the hose connectors, sometimes they need a special tool to release.

nevo
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Firstly whats up with the compressor,are you sure its u/s,if it is you would be wise to have the system flushed out to get rid of any crap in the system,otherwise it could screw up your nice new expensive pump,would be interested in how they arrived at that diagnosis.

jim_tdi
11-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Firstly whats up with the compressor,are you sure its u/s,if it is you would be wise to have the system flushed out to get rid of any crap in the system,otherwise it could screw up your nice new expensive pump,would be interested in how they arrived at that diagnosis.

AC stopped working about 2 months ago, had an AC service and the garage informed the compressor is dead. Car has done 149k miles so I that is quite possible. The clutch was good, the compressor just didn't kick in. My plan is to replace the compressor and receiver and take for immediate AC service with refill. Compressor no problem, but cannot see how to remove and replace receiver - above post indicates that it comes out from the bottom.

Thanks

nevo
12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
If you take the front o/s grill out by the fog light you will see it,the reason ask about the comp is to make sure it is goosed first,have you done a scan of the hvac to see if there's any fault codes present which will stop the comp cutting in,just trying maybe to save you some dosh.

jim_tdi
17-12-2012, 04:00 PM
If you take the front o/s grill out by the fog light you will see it,the reason ask about the comp is to make sure it is goosed first,have you done a scan of the hvac to see if there's any fault codes present which will stop the comp cutting in,just trying maybe to save you some dosh.

Hi Nevo,

Well.....I shouldn't have listened to the garage that did the AC service. I ran VCDS and it's thrown up a G65 sensor fault. I think they are about 30 quid, I have replaced them before. If it is just that....I will be annoyed. I should have ran VCDS first instead of taking the guy doing the AC service on his word.

Will get one and replace - but because I don't have any juice in there it will need another AC service.

jim_tdi
17-12-2012, 04:54 PM
...also - Nevo - I recall I was talking to you on this forum sometime last year. I had a fault on the AC system - turned out the clutch plate had fallen off the compressor and was sitting in the tray. VCDS at the time also reported a fault with G65 sensor and I replaced it - this was probably 16 months ago. So this sensor is not that old....

I am loathe to spend 50 quid replacing it if this is not the issue....it may just be something VCDS throws up but not the actual fault.

nevo
17-12-2012, 08:45 PM
They are very unreliable,chinese crap I suppose,basically if the clutch isn't spinning the comp spindle how can one diagnose the compressor faulty.did you clear the code and see if it reappears? I got one from a scrappy about 2 months ago for a fiver,but I was taking a chance because there's no way of knowing if its bad,another thing to consider is this time of year there's no way you can get the system ot load up because of the ambient temp is so low.

jim_tdi
17-12-2012, 10:26 PM
They are very unreliable,chinese crap I suppose,basically if the clutch isn't spinning the comp spindle how can one diagnose the compressor faulty.did you clear the code and see if it reappears? I got one from a scrappy about 2 months ago for a fiver,but I was taking a chance because there's no way of knowing if its bad,another thing to consider is this time of year there's no way you can get the system ot load up because of the ambient temp is so low.

Yes, cleared codes and econ light goes off immediately. After 5 secs it pings back on and can't be turned off. The fault code reappears. I think a fiver in a scrappy is a good call to see whether the code clears. TPS price is £44 plus VAT.

nevo
17-12-2012, 10:52 PM
That'll be the problem.

jim_tdi
18-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Just a thought. When I had a re-gas a few months ago, when I thought that the system was just low, the compressor didn't kick in so they drained the system. I just wonder whether the G65 error is flagging because the AC is low rather than a fault with the pressure switch....

PITA this. I have a compressor ready to go, which is not a bad job...but I think you need to replace the drier which is a pain. Or do you.

nevo
18-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Replacing the drier is text book procedure,but like many other jobs you can save money by leaving it, just dont leave the ends open to atmosphere longer than necessary,it'll absorb moisture from the air,inspect the innards of the comp just to be sure there's no black crap in there,usually if the econ light is on its a fault so the only way to check is substitute a known working switch,have you got access to another vag vehicle.