PDA

View Full Version : chances of a refund for a Kindle?

Brycie
10-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi all. I got myself completely confused with the various different models of Kindles available & bought the Wife the wrong one for Christmas from a Carphone Warehouse shop. Does anyone know if I have the right to a refund even though it was my own stupid fault for buying the wrong one & there's nothing wrong with the product? The returns policy on the receipt isn't clear but their website does indicate no returns on fully paid for tablets (although this is just an e-reader).

Any insight/advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Paul.

Guest 2
10-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm not clued up on my consumer laws but I think you have a certain number of days to basically "change your mind"?

Don't take that in stone - but you could always go back and just say it was the wrong product and you would like to purchase the correct one?

Btw don't open it!

Brycie
10-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks Chris. I'm hoping you're right there about the sort of 'cooling off period'. It'd be a lot easier if CPW actually sold the correct one, but as they don't, I can't even ask for an exchange.

Oh well, hopefully they're in a good mood when I try to return it.

Guest 2
10-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Cooling off - that's the phrase I was looking for!

I'm off work until Wednesday so will do some digging tomorrow if someone else hasn't replied by then.

Carl (eshrules) knows a lot about consumer laws - so maybe a PM to him might prove useful?

Brycie
11-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Cheers Chris.

zollaf
11-12-2012, 12:22 AM
you need some wounds, a black eye or fat lip. go in there sobbing, tell em your wife did it to you for getting the wrong one, you'll get your money back.

Brycie
11-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Haha, I daren't suggest it, she might take me up on it & after watching The Expendables 2 tonight she's learnt a few dangerous moves.

Y90USF
11-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Hey brycie as long as you havent opened it and it hasnt been more than 28 days i think it is you should be alright :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Brycie
11-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Great, thanks Y90USF, I wasn't sure but I was hoping something like that may be the case. As you, Chris & I all thought the same, hopefully it is the case. I'll zip a quick PM over to Esh as Chris suggested too. Hopefully the 28 days is right then as I only bought it less than a week ago.

Y90USF
11-12-2012, 02:10 AM
I would take it back sooner brycie as within 7 days would be no excuse for a full money back on the returned item without any problem whatsoever,i have found they try to make an excuse longer u leave it. I wil pop into cpw tomorrow and ask what the policy is as im thinking to buy and will let you know :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Brycie
11-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks Y90USF. I'll be in Newcastle today & unable to get to a CPW, so it'll be good if you do get in there & can ask.

Brycie
11-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi all,

Thought I'd just update you on how I got on. I called their Customer Service line & was told that I could only get a refund on internet purchases, not on in-store purchases. So I PM'd Eshrules as per Chris's advice & he explained how it worked (he did so in a Visitor Message, so it should be visible if you want to have a look, it's quite interesting & informative). Basically agreed with what I'd been told by CPW though. Anyway the Wifey also called & they told her they WOULD do a refund as long as it was in box, undamaged & we had the receipt.

So I took it back & the Manager didn't even think twice. He remembered me buying it & saw that it was unopened & authorised the refund straight away - pretty decent of them considering ghey didn't legally have to. It may help that they're a customer of mine who I've done business with, but even still, very fair of them.

So the Wife has just ordered her own present on Amazon. Just need her to wrap it herself now & jobs a goodun :biglaugh:

Guest 2
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Good result Paul!

Just remember if you're buying anything in future, buy the right thing!

Very decent of CPW too!

Brycie
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Just remember if you're buying anything in future, buy the right thing!

Well there is that; but then if I wasn't as dopey as I am, life would plain sailing & very dull lol.

Just seen Martin Lewis Money Saving programme where he explained all the rules duscussed above - just too late, but he was also racing some cool little A5 remote control cars!

Guest 2
25-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Is your Missus enjoying her proper Kindle, Paul? ;)

Merry Christmas! :D

Brycie
25-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Well if I'm honest, discipline went out the window & I let her have it over a week ago. But yes, she loves it now she has the right one. Hope you're having a great Christmas Chris.

Guest 2
30-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Just saw this on Money Saving Expert .. Could be handy to keep folded in your wallet.

Consumer Rights Mini-Guide: Print and pop in your wallet... (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-wallet-print)

Brycie
30-12-2012, 11:07 AM
That is handy. Some interesting stuff in there, cheers Chris. I'll keep that bookmarked.

touranasurus
30-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Brycie - Don't think you can ask for a refund unless the goods are faulty, you could always say it was ??- your call.
Have just taken Dab radio back to Argos, worked for a day and then Blu-up - money was refunded straight away. good luck.

Brycie
30-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Blimey! It blew up?! That sounds like it should be recalled by the manufacturer. Thanks for your input although I did take it back already & although they weren't obliged to take it back & give a refund, they very kindly did. Thanks again.

touranasurus
30-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi,I am on my third DAB radio, they all appear to have faults and don,t last very long. Have replaced a volume switch on my "pure " evoke, nobody want to mend thing anymore - LOL. Glad you got a refund.