PDA

View Full Version : Bought an A3 - Qs on noise & warning lights

Dr Procter
17-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Hello everyone!

Just bought a 2004 2.0 TDI sport:D but I am a numty when it comes to cars so please help:

1) The EMS warning light comes on when I put the key in and stays on until the engine is started. It does not appear when the engine is running. I take it this is normal? The manual only states that the EPS light stays onthen disppears after a few seconds.

2) I can hear a kind of whistling spinning noise (best explanation possible;)) when I press down the accelerator. When the vehicle is idling or I take my foot off the accelerator when moving the noise disppears. You can only here it with the windows down. It sounds like something may need a bit of lube. To save me dipping the engine in WD40, does anyone have any ideas whether this is a lube job or something else.

I've never had a diesel before or even a decent car, so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance (& go easy!)

DP

prolfe
17-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Go Easy

erm

o k a y

The whistling noise you can hear I'm guessing is the Turbo. This is normal and the reason you can't hear it so much when moving is because of all the other noises, wind, tyres music etc.

Have a look around the threads, not just the first page, but past pages as well. Also look in other threads that are for the golf, passat and A4 etc, because they have topics about your engine as it is shared across the VAG. range.

Hope this helps.