PDA

View Full Version : Red brake warning light

kblackburn
02-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi

I was looking for some assistance,( I'm a Toyota technician) I have a Seat exeo 2010, which as you will know is an Audi B7 in disguise, I'm having some problems with the Red brake warning symbol comming on, this as started happening since the weather has gone colder, I have spoken to my local Seat dealer, who serviced the car last week, they say they could not find any fault, and I must say I have done a scan with my VCDS and no faults are logged, however, I have found a corroded terminal in the n/s/f brake pad (http://www.shopzilla.co.uk/rd2?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chainreactioncycles.com%2FS etProperty.aspx%3FShippingCountryID%3D1903%26Curre ncyISO%3DGBP%26PartnerID%3D2771%26ReturnUrl%3DMode ls.aspx%3FModelID%3D85511&mid=126294&catId=100001031&atom=100001036&prodId=&oid=4382908822&pos=1&bId=18&bidType=0&bAmt=7e669606a2eb75b8&cobrand=2&rf=af1&af_assettype_id=10&af_creative_id=6&af_id=11444) connector, so the sealing has failed, allowing moisture in, and as the wiring is part of the ABS wiring it looks expensive, however, the car is under warranty for another 10 months.
I have just been perusing the Audi forums, to find this is a common fault with the B7 chassis, where abouts is the relay fitted that has been refered to, so that I can check if Seat has done the mod, another thing I have noticed is the heater fan speed, if I have the climate control on auto, with a high fan speed and then use the windscreen washers, the fan speed increases !!!! any idea's

kev

Crasher
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
This reminds me of a fault the 8E A4 suffered on right hand drive cars which meant we had to fit a relay into the brake fluid level warning light circuit which disconnected the sensor from the dash during the starting phase. Surely they would have fixed that by now?

kblackburn
02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Crasher,

it would seem not, I also post on the Seat cupra.net forums, and the same day i posted my concern about the Brake warning light, it was followed by several others, with the same complaint, what i don't understand is the cold weather condition that starts it off, unless it's the battery that's on it's way out, which is not acceptable in this day and age, we've only had the car 3 months and it's just turned 2 years old.

kblackburn
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
crasher,

where abouts is the relay located, so that I can check if one is fitted ?

Crasher
03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I can't see it being this issue, it should have been dealt with six years ago.

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2014619/4

Brake fluid warning after cold start - A4 RHD, MY 01-07 Release date: 11-Dec-2009

Customer statement / workshop findings

At cold start the red brake warning light comes sporadically on. Vehicles with big diesel engines are particularly affected.

User profile: “ Customer in a hurry” ; turns the ignition key without waiting for the glowing period.

Technical background

Magnetic coupling from the starter motor cable to the switch for brake fluid level. As a result, a too low brake fluid level is incorrectly indicated.

Production change

New software (version 0200) in the dash insert from week 45/06.

Measure

Fit an extra relay which separates the switch for brake fluid level from the dash insert when starting the engine.

How it works

A relay is fitted which is controlled by terminal 75. Before the start of the engine the relay drops thus separating the signal cable between dash insert (point 4 in illustration 1) and switch for brake fluid level. As a result, the signal of the brake fluid level is disrupted during the start.

kblackburn
03-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Thankyou very much for your assitance, I will have a look at the wiring loom location first, and see if that touch the mastercylinder switch.

kev