PDA

View Full Version : cruise control

s7gpt
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
just got it retrofitted, Question - Does it brake the car if say going down a hill to maintain the correct speed. my previous car relied on engine braking only.

Brycie
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Mine does, though you may pick up an extra 2-3mph before it reins it back in, so still wise to be alert in speed camera hot-spots.

Audi Nick
01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Not sure how a retro fitted one works, but the factory fitted unit apply the brakes and I have found it holds the desired speed very well indeed.

s7gpt
01-12-2012, 06:35 PM
thanks, its the proper audi cruise that has been fitted, will look for a big hill tommorrow and give it a try :)

Guest 2
01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
As Paul says it may creep up 1-3mph before it realises

Btw both factory fitted and retrofitted cruise systems are the exact same

The Polisher
01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
What I like about this system is that when it does put the brakes on, if even puts the brake lights on.............. very clever. Useful when towing, downhills it gently eases the brakes on and combines with the ATC system to electronically trigger the caravan brakes too, nice and stable.............. lovely.

gregpot2000
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I like it generally, although sometimes it's annoying. Such as overtaking on the motorway, say you are 10MPH over the set speed, it starts jamming the brakes on which is uncomfortable and in normal driving you would just ease off the accelerator. Also when driving down slight hills, it keeps the brakes on all the time when not necessary, I always think the people behind will wonder what the hell I'm doing braking constantly on the motorway and other places lol. I guess at the end of the day it's doing it's job of retaining the speed. It just feels flawed in use to me sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Brycie
07-12-2012, 11:45 PM
In the situation on the motorway as you describe, I just tend to knock the lever forward one notch to suspend the cc & that allows me to cruise back to desired speed & then pull it back one notch to resume. I know what you're saying though, not a totally ideal situation, but I guess the designers thought it was more important that people behind know you're slowing.