PDA

View Full Version : Adblue

kerrglen
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Folks,

Does anyone have any experience in adding Adblue to their Q5?
Yesterday I got the warning on my car that it required adblue and needed it within 1500 miles. According to the handbook the tank is 23L.
I went to the local garage and we tried to top up the adblue, after 5L the tank started to overflow.
Sure enough the warning has now cleared but I find it strange that I could only add 5L. The car has done just over 12,500 miles and this was the first time the warning had showed.

I am sure the tank did not have 17L left in there otherwise I would not have had the warning, especially at this mileage.

Anyone had this issue?

Cheers,

-Kerr

kerrglen
01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
It would appear I may have found the answer to my own question. I would assume the Q5 is similar to the Q7 and on the link below it describes the Q7 as having two adblue tanks, an upper and a lower. The upper can only hold between 5-7l which explains my issue. It also seems the upper tank is slow to drain into the lower tank, so you can only fill a small amount at a time.

Audi Q7 TDI Adblue tank and DPF filter diagram - VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f20/audi-q7-tdi-adblue-tank-dpf-filter-diagram-2996/)

If anyone knows a technical reason as to why there are 2 tanks and why the upper is slow slow to drain I would appreciate the insight.

Cheers,

-Kerr