PDA

View Full Version : Auto VW advice please - what to get

markvw
30-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Wanting some info on automatic VW's anyone had any experience?

Sam
30-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Seriously?

Guest 2
30-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Seriously?

Thread of the week!

Doctle Odd
30-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I had a spin in a Mk3 auto ragtop it was a boring expierence

markvw
01-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Seriously?
Got battered from my motorcycle by oncoming 80 mph Fiesta leaving me dead and minus right arm so, no choice really:bandit:

zollaf
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
ouch, friend of mine did something similar and lost left arm and leg. he drives a new golf 1.4 and loves it to bits.

Guest 2
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Got battered from my motorcycle by oncoming 80 mph Fiesta leaving me dead and minus right arm so, no choice really:bandit:

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I think Sams reply was based on that you didn't put a lot of information into your post - which model, year etc hence his reply, albeit sarcastically.

Sam
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM

My old neighbour had a similar experience, although it was his right leg not his arm that was the victim - I wish you well in your recovery.

My sarcastic reply was a slight hint towards the fact that there are probably thousands of members driving automatic cars on here, perhaps if you stated what it was you wanted to know, you'd get a bit of assistance tailored towards your request.

I had a Mk2 Golf auto for a few years - gold exterior, brown interior, 1.6, went like the clappers thanks to the previous owner being 167 years old and only putting 10k miles on it in 11 years. Just don't try and change from 2nd to 3rd gear in it like you would in manual, you'll flat spot the tyres and scare the bejesus out of your passengers. :biglaugh:

markvw
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
My old neighbour had a similar experience, although it was his right leg not his arm that was the victim - I wish you well in your recovery.

My sarcastic reply was a slight hint towards the fact that there are probably thousands of members driving automatic cars on here, perhaps if you stated what it was you wanted to know, you'd get a bit of assistance tailored towards your request.

I had a Mk2 Golf auto for a few years - gold exterior, brown interior, 1.6, went like the clappers thanks to the previous owner being 167 years old and only putting 10k miles on it in 11 years. Just don't try and change from 2nd to 3rd gear in it like you would in manual, you'll flat spot the tyres and scare the bejesus out of your passengers. :biglaugh:
My response had a hint of sarcasm as id spotting the incoming sorry for the confusion.After a long haul i am back driving an auto Fiesta, which wont pass the next mot. My wife has a Passat estate TDI and what im intending is replacing the VW and Fiesta with 1 auto.
Claire likes the size and safety of the Passat and i prefer derv cars but as im not able to do the maintanence any longer and with petrol being cheaper i was thinking of Golf 1.6 as a poss? not ruling out 1.9 TDI golf or another Passat any info on the automatic VW in general gearbox reliability, how it changes, mpg, cars for sale, etc etc is what im after. Thanks :D

Sam
03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
A colleague of mine had a 1998 Passat Estate 1.9TDI auto from new - it lasted her almost 11 years before it was written off. I think she'd covered well over 150k before it met the end though. Nothing special to drive, but solid, reliable and it 'died' keeping her safe.

Depending on what year you're looking at, the reports of 'boxes failing are very slim - bung DSG or auto into the search box up there and have a poke around to see what you can find, or give us a year, a rough budget and what it is you want to do with the vehicle - kid transport, luggage loading, commuting, etc - and someone will chip in with helpful info.

markvw
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Had a look at this yesterday, didn't seem a bad car, when i got home i went on to a site called Honest John on peoples recommendation. Based on their findings i wouldn't go within 10 miles of a Golf! Surely this isn't right?
As for budget £3k max, mainly carrying passengers, dog, occasional tip run. Just noticed description says electric sunroof, It hasn't got a sunroof wonder what else they got wrong.

Overview (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491569540/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/3000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/20/postcode/de561pa/page/8?logcode=p#advertSummaryContent)
Vehicle Summary (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491569540/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/3000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/20/postcode/de561pa/page/8?logcode=p#techSpecSummaryContent)
Performance & Economy (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491569540/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/3000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/20/postcode/de561pa/page/8?logcode=p#techSpecPerformanceAndEconomyContent)
Dimensions (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491569540/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/3000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/20/postcode/de561pa/page/8?logcode=p#techSpecDimensionsContent)
Interior/Exterior (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491569540/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/3000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/20/postcode/de561pa/page/8?logcode=p#techSpecInteriorExteriorContent)
Safety (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491569540/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/3000/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/20/postcode/de561pa/page/8?logcode=p#techSpecSafetyContent)

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=44968072&width=266&height=200
Photos (8)
Videos(1)

See larger
See larger
See larger
See larger
See larger
See larger
See larger
See larger

2000 (X reg)
Hatchback
75,000 miles
Automatic
1.6L
Petrol

5 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 75,000 miles, Silver, MOT-09-2013, 1 Owner. AOTOMATIC. LOADS OF HISTORY. FABULOUS CAR. MINT CONDITION DRIVES AS GOOD AS ANY VW. ABS, Air conditioning, Central locking, Cruise control, Electric sunroof, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Steel wheels, Side airbags, Traction control, Alarm, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Front electric windows, Front head restraints, Full size spare wheel, Height adjustable drivers seat, PAS, Rear wiper, Remote central locking, Solid Paint, Trip computer, Electric door mirrors, Heated door mirrors, Isofix child seat anchor points, Rear electric windows, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Audio remote control, Cloth seat trim, Service indicator. Insurance Group:6. £1,495 p/x welcome