PDA

View Full Version : rear washer not working

Google44
29-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi

I've got a problem with rear washer on audi a4 2003 Avant. It does not jet water out. I've cleaned the nozzle but it still no water. The wiper works when water should be coming out. What I get instead is water coming on front windscreen! Not sure how is that possible. Just as if rear is blocked the water find its way on front somehow. There is no wet areas on the back.

Where shell I start checking.

spartacus 68
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Check out this comprehensive thread regards cleaning the nozzle. How To Un-block your Avant rear washer jet (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?87959-Un-block-your-Avant-rear-washer-jet)

Assuming the wiper works too, then that tends to rule out a broken brass pipe that runs from the wiper motor to the nozzle - as water would run down inside the tailgate. Chances are the pipe has disconnected somewhere along the route from the water bottle reservoir. It comes into the car at the passenger footwell (behind plastic trim). There's also a connection on the right hand side in the avant boot. The pipe is located above the access hatch. If the base of the hatch is wet - then you've found the break. I've glued mine with epoxy. Not unusual for them to pop off - given sub-zero temperatures when trying to use water jets.

mroscar
01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Very good thread! Helped for me! :)

deano1978
02-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Worked for me,left over ngt to,proper blocked nozzles,also note...because my was blocked,it had disconnected. Joined it back together.
this is located on the front pass wheel arch.
take out several torx screws and a nut.
theres two arch liners,the one nearest pass seat you want.

Google44
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for reply. I have tried cleaning the nozzle before posting here. With nozzle removed there is no water coming out. What is really puzzling is that it start coming out on the front nozzles. The rear wiper does move but water is on front. Is this a feature that in case pipe gets blocked then pressure pushes water on front?

mikeybutch
03-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Seems like a pump problem.What happens when you use the front ?

Google44
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
the front works as it should. The rear starts the wiper but water jets out on front. This is why I am thinking it may be blocked then pushing water on front as fail safe. Not sure if it is possible.

spartacus 68
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
the front works as it should. The rear starts the wiper but water jets out on front. This is why I am thinking it may be blocked then pushing water on front as fail safe. Not sure if it is possible.

If you've got water at the front wiper jets, then the pump is working fine. It feeds the front and rear. Suggest you look for a break in the water pipe at the two points as suggested. If the pipe connections are fine, then the brass pipe at the motor itself may have broken, in which case water will run down the inside of your boot tailgate. You'll need to remove interior trim on the tailgate to investigate. You can get VAG kits to replace this pipe - but honestly you're better off sourcing a second-hand part which includes the motor, as it's not cheap.

mikeybutch
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Mine doesnt feed both at the same time.I would have a look at the pump

Google44
08-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I've opened the rear tail gate cover and disconnect the water supply to motor. Even with pipe disconnected no water coming out. Still comes out on front. I've tried blocking front to build higher pressure but still nothing. Any idea where to start looking? It was mentioned that there is a connector on the right side of access hatch in boot. Cannot see it. I've got there amp a speaker. How easy is to access pipe on washer bottle itself? Was going to put air pressure there, or any other easy accessible connection point

mikeybutch
08-12-2012, 05:37 PM
If youre pushing the stalk to wash the rear theres no reason why water would come out the fronts unless the pump is failing.What happens when you pull the stalk?

spartacus 68
08-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I've opened the rear tail gate cover and disconnect the water supply to motor. Even with pipe disconnected no water coming out. Still comes out on front. I've tried blocking front to build higher pressure but still nothing. Any idea where to start looking? It was mentioned that there is a connector on the right side of access hatch in boot. Cannot see it. I've got there amp a speaker. How easy is to access pipe on washer bottle itself? Was going to put air pressure there, or any other easy accessible connection point

Check both locations where the pipe connects. 1/ Passenger footwell behind plastic trim on left hand side. It will be wet if it's detached. 2/ Boot area. Open acces hatch on right hand side. Feel the base of the hatch - again, if it's wet, that where it's detached. The pipe is directly above the hatch when opened. You won't see it - but you will be able to feel it. You might need someone to operate the wiper stalk while you feel for the pipe and what will probably be running water!!!

Google44
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
If youre pushing the stalk to wash the rear theres no reason why water would come out the fronts unless the pump is failing.What happens when you pull the stalk?

So is there a separate pump for front and rear? This is what confuses me. Why is it coming on front? I thought if rear is stuck the it pushes it on front to release the pressure. If stalk is pulled it comes out on front as it expected and front wipers start. If pushed the rear wiper starts then with small delay the water come out of front nozzles. Not wet anywhere. No leak. must be blocked

dvoodoo
09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
So is there a separate pump for front and rear? This is what confuses me. Why is it coming on front? I thought if rear is stuck the it pushes it on front to release the pressure. If stalk is pulled it comes out on front as it expected and front wipers start. If pushed the rear wiper starts then with small delay the water come out of front nozzles. Not wet anywhere. No leak. must be blocked

When you pull the rear washer are you seeing any wet marks under the car, I am actually just about to go under mine as the water is coming out behind the passenger side front wheel, have read about the pipe here and the fact it disconnects, what is needed is to remove the wheel arch cover and reconnect it here.

Google44
09-12-2012, 10:56 PM
No, no wet anywhere. just water on front windscreen

Google44
10-12-2012, 05:32 PM
According to electrical schematics it looks like there is only one pump for both washers, rear and front. How does that work? Is there a separate control for valve then?

mikeybutch
10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
According to electrical schematics it looks like there is only one pump for both washers, rear and front. How does that work? Is there a separate control for valve then?So its seems like the pump is stuck unless the stalk is faulty which seems unlikely

Google44
11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
It could also be that pump cannot pump to rear as it is blocked then diverts the pressure to front. Don't know much about how one of them pumps look like. Could be with dual motor and totally different lines for front and rear. In that case blocked pipe theory it out.

mikeybutch
11-12-2012, 04:46 PM
It could also be that pump cannot pump to rear as it is blocked then diverts the pressure to front. Don't know much about how one of them pumps look like. Could be with dual motor and totally different lines for front and rear. In that case blocked pipe theory it out.THats unlikely cos I have had a rear block and nothing came out the fronts.Dont see why there would be 2 motors as you cant use both together so ther must be a valve that switches from one to the other .If so thats what could be stuck

Google44
11-12-2012, 04:49 PM
OK, How easy is to get to it?

spartacus 68
12-12-2012, 01:30 AM
To access washer pump strip out the passenger wheel liner. Held in place with stainless steel torx screws. However before doing that - try disconnecting water pipe at driver's side in boot (above access hatch). If water comes out here, (get someone to assist) then you know blockage is further ahead at wiper motor.

Google44
12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks. Will try disconnecting pipe at driver's side boot first. Is it at the top of bottom of the hatch? I've got speaker and amp in there. Quick inspection could not find anything. It is hard to get fingers in there because of the speaker and plastics around it. It is Avant sport model. Don't think I've seen the same setup in SE model.

mikeybutch
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks. Will try disconnecting pipe at driver's side boot first. Is it at the top of bottom of the hatch? I've got speaker and amp in there. Quick inspection could not find anything. It is hard to get fingers in there because of the speaker and plastics around it. It is Avant sport model. Don't think I've seen the same setup in SE model.This isnt easy.I had to dry this area out when the pipe split in the loom to the top of the hatch.I would look at the pump first cos it should be coming out of the fronts

Google44
13-12-2012, 03:00 PM
This isnt easy.I had to dry this area out when the pipe split in the loom to the top of the hatch.I would look at the pump first cos it should be coming out of the fronts

I agree, should look elsewhere first. Not sure how to get to pump tho. How about driver side footwell? Is there a connection point there too which can be easy accessed and disconnected? Dont know hot to get to motor nor how it operates the rear and front wipers. Perhaps someone can describe it here.

mikeybutch
13-12-2012, 05:51 PM
There s/b a connector under the passenger side if its the same as aB5 cos thats what gave up on mine.Hope thats not gone on yours cos it took days to dry that out in summer!!Never accessed a pump but it shouldnt be too hard to remove the liner.

Google44
14-12-2012, 12:29 AM
mine is not wet anywhere. Strange that it goes on passenger side then ends up on the right side in boot. is it close to pillar running along the door ?

mikeybutch
14-12-2012, 12:20 PM
The problem is that you wont see the wet until you lift the carpet .I looked there cos I could hear the water coming out from that area when the pump ran.

Google44
14-12-2012, 01:34 PM
true, however mine is spraying on front windscreen what should be going to rear. Hence dont think it leaks anywhere

mikeybutch
14-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Ageed i continue to say its a pump issue

spartacus 68
16-12-2012, 11:07 AM
true, however mine is spraying on front windscreen what should be going to rear. Hence dont think it leaks anywhere

No idea how much the pump is from Audi. You could possibly get a replacement from a breaker yard. Strip out the wheel arch to refit.

Google44
17-12-2012, 12:47 PM
does anyone know if it is the same pump as in B5?

stevenm2
30-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Google44, sorry to pester you. But I was wondering if you fixed your problem with your rear washer jet (spraying out the front)? I ask as I have the exact same problem and your post is the only one I can find that's the same.

Thanks,
Steve.

touran05
20-12-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a similar problem with my Touran do you know how this was fixed pls

spartacus 68
25-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi Google44, sorry to pester you. But I was wondering if you fixed your problem with your rear washer jet (spraying out the front)? I ask as I have the exact same problem and your post is the only one I can find that's the same.

Thanks,
Steve.

If it's spraying at the front, but not the rear, then it's one of 4 things...

1/ Broken connection on route to the rear (wet carpet in footwell)
2/ Broken connection in boot area (wet in void next to brake light cluster)
3/ Broken copper pipe at rear wiper motor (wet tailgate trim)
4/ Blocked rear jet (pull out and use a pin and warm water)

On the avant [B5] it comes in under the passenger side wheel arch to a connection in the footwell. Undo the Philips screw on the trim then pull pack the carpet to inspect.

From there it travels back then reappears in the boot area on the driver's side. There's an inspection hatch and the tube is directly above. From there it goes to the tailgate via the hinge. At the tailgate it connects to the rear wiper motor. 99% of the time it's the copper pipe that runs from the motor to the washer jet that breaks and water drains into the motor and tailgate.

VAG do sell a repair kit, but quite honestly a second hand motor is cheaper. Remember and grease the mechanics prior to fitting with a decent marine or lithium grease. Cover plate is held in place with Torx screws.

danclyon
01-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Mine is broken up in the roof space near the back of the car.....thus wet roof :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

stevenm2
02-01-2014, 10:07 AM
I have a similar problem with my Touran do you know how this was fixed pls

Hi touran05,

Sorry for the late reply. I have never got round to fixing mine, I have tried looking for wet patches and cleaning the jet at the rear but so far nothing. Someone has mentioned it maybe blocked at the connector under the car- I have seen this but haven't had a chance to play with it. If you fix yours please do update this thread with your solution, thanks.

Steve.

stevenm2
02-01-2014, 10:18 AM
If it's spraying at the front, but not the rear, then it's one of 4 things...

1/ Broken connection on route to the rear (wet carpet in footwell)
2/ Broken connection in boot area (wet in void next to brake light cluster)
3/ Broken copper pipe at rear wiper motor (wet tailgate trim)
4/ Blocked rear jet (pull out and use a pin and warm water)

On the avant [B5] it comes in under the passenger side wheel arch to a connection in the footwell. Undo the Philips screw on the trim then pull pack the carpet to inspect.

From there it travels back then reappears in the boot area on the driver's side. There's an inspection hatch and the tube is directly above. From there it goes to the tailgate via the hinge. At the tailgate it connects to the rear wiper motor. 99% of the time it's the copper pipe that runs from the motor to the washer jet that breaks and water drains into the motor and tailgate.

VAG do sell a repair kit, but quite honestly a second hand motor is cheaper. Remember and grease the mechanics prior to fitting with a decent marine or lithium grease. Cover plate is held in place with Torx screws.

Hi spartacus,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked for wet patches- but so far nothing. I'll check the extra locations you mentioned tonight. But what surprises me is it shoots out the front, this makes me believe it's a blockage somewhere because a leak wouldn't cause pressure build up :-/.

Steve.

deanmoore10
24-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Hi did you ever sort this prob out, as I have same prob

touran05
24-09-2014, 07:48 AM
No my Touran still has the problem but i think my problem is an CECM (Bordnetz) controller problem as the Touran only has 1 washer pump, will let the forum know if i ever fix it.

stevenm2
24-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi deanmoore10, no I never got round to fixing the issue. So I am still unsure what is causing it. I am hoping it is just a blockage. It's just getting the time to be able to get the pipes off and use an air compressor to see if that clears it. The fact there is a delay before it shoots out the front makes me hope it isn't the washer jet itself.

David Cliff
30-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Hi all. I've watched this thread as I was suffering the same problem and today have replaced my washer reservoir (different problem with smell and sensor). My car was crash damaged and it turns out that when they replaced the washer reservoir they have replaced it with one from a saloon and the pump only has one outlet. The hose to the rear was wrapped up and tucked away. So, the stalk has the rear and front function but no hose attached to the rear. When you use the stalk for the rear it's obviously still firing the pump up but as the relevant hose isn't attached it fires to the only hose it can, the front. I need to get a dual outlet pump and test but I'm 99% sure this is the problem. Hope it helps someone else on here and will post my findings when I get a pump sorted and fitted.

mikeybutch
30-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Wont the wiring be wrong too?Seems to me they have joined the wires together thats why they both work

David Cliff
30-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Yeah you could well be right. I won't know until I try the pump but the wiring in mine has been bodged by the looks of it.

Heikki
11-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Hello vwaf :D

Ive got a non functioning rear window wash. This thread has been immensely helpful in trouble shooting the problem, however i've struggled to find a pdf or diagram showing the rear washer pipe routing for my 2004 B6 A4 Avant.

The above photo was taken under passenger side front wheel arch, and i'm confused as to why there are 3 pipes...

Obviously i worked out where the water flows out from when the rear pump is activated!
...and that if i connect one of the remaining pipes i get a nice waterfall effect from the headlining of the rear tail gate area, joy! :P

Anyone have any idea what the 3rd pipe is / goes to, should there be a "Y" piece?

My next issue is how to replace / repair the hose that appears to run along and inside the top of the roof lining above the tail gate hatch...

Hence a washer hose parts diagram would be extremely helpful!

Edit: I think i found the diagram i need ! Audi A4/Avant (2001 - 2005) - wiper and washer system for rear window. > VAG ETKA Online > Nemiga.com (https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/etka/audi/a4/249/955200/)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Heikki the one post wonder :D
(equals 6 years trouble free ownership, sort of !)

mikeybutch
11-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Seems you have a break in the pipe above the tailgate.Hopefully its in the loom that joins the roof to the gate.Thats where there is movement when opening the gate and if the pipe isn't in the right place it can split but at least you can access by opening the gaiter.Thats where mine went and needed rejoining and sealing.Dont know why you have a third pipe but if you can get the others working best ignore it.

Heikki
11-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Seems you have a break in the pipe above the tailgate.Hopefully its in the loom that joins the roof to the gate.Thats where there is movement when opening the gate and if the pipe isn't in the right place it can split but at least you can access by opening the gaiter.Thats where mine went and needed rejoining and sealing.Dont know why you have a third pipe but if you can get the others working best ignore it.

Indeed it split under the gaiter...

I ended up taking way more apart than i needed too!

:aargh4: