PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 tdi engine sounds rough on acceleration

Jazzy_A6
29-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I do this right...

I have just been to see and test drive An Audi A6 s-line it's a 2007 with 138k on the clock.

Now the car when it was first started was cold so I didn't expect it to be all smooth but when I accelerated it whilst cold it was vibrating the car at approx 1500rpm to the extent my drivers seat was vibrating. I then took it for a test drive the car drove perfectly but when I parked it up I revved the car and the engine sounded pretty rough. I know it's probably a tough one but any idea what this could be? The sound has a bit of a grunt to it as apposed to a smooth acceleration? Really confused whether to buy this car or not because apart from this issue the car drives fantasticly.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Crasher
29-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Engine, transmission? Sounds like a failed dual mass on a CVT auto.

Jazzy_A6
29-11-2012, 12:28 AM
It's a 2.0 tdi s line manual 6 speed. Could this be a relatively expensive job and I should stay away? Car drives like its brand new eve. With 138k on the clock but just seems to have a grunt when car is standstill and I accelerate and it idols at 900 rpm?

Brycie
29-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Welcome to the forum for a start Jaz.

If I remember rightly from your intro, you're coming from an A4, but I can't remember what engine it was (1.8 petrol/2.0 diesel etc). My point is, are you used to a vag tdi? My 2.0 has a rumble/vibration through the driver's seat too, so it may just be a trait of this engine you're not acclimatised to - as I say, depending on what you're old car was.

You say the engine was cold, how about finding a similar car for sale elsewhere & booking a test drive in for early morning when it too will be cold and putting it through the same test so you have a good basis for comparison.

Jazzy_A6
29-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the forum for a start Jaz.

If I remember rightly from your intro, you're coming from an A4, but I can't remember what engine it was (1.8 petrol/2.0 diesel etc). My point is, are you used to a vag tdi? My 2.0 has a rumble/vibration through the driver's seat too, so it may just be a trait of this engine you're not acclimatised to - as I say, depending on what you're old car was.

You say the engine was cold, how about finding a similar car for sale elsewhere & booking a test drive in for early morning when it too will be cold and putting it through the same test so you have a good basis for comparison.

Thanks mate, I was thinking exactly the same thing so I'm going into black horse this morning and going to start one up there and see how that sounds. I've always had diesel cars my last one was a 1.9 tdi sport a4 which is the very reason I have a big ? Against the purchase of this new a6..

Brycie
29-11-2012, 04:55 PM
How did you get on Jaz? I tested mine today (when warm though) and there is a noticable shaking between 2600 and 2800 or 2900.

Jazzy_A6
29-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Spoke to dealers who have worked on this car and they said it has fsh with Audi was taken in a couple of months ago fr overheating problem and they replaced timing belt water pump etc. I then spoke to my mechanic and explained problem he said sounds like flywheel but can't obviously be sure until seeing it. I had a look at one at black horse whilst stone cold this morning and it never had a shake. :s I don't want to but I'm going to give it a miss and let the search continue

Jazzy_A6
29-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Thank you for checking though its much appreciated. It was a definite shake between 1500 to 2000 rpm

toofunkyhouse
30-11-2012, 10:10 AM
My CR170 TDI is very smooth and quiet for a derv, i also run a 1.9 CDTI 150 Signum, that is like a tractor in comparison. Is it the 170 unit?

Jazzy_A6
30-11-2012, 10:42 AM
My CR170 TDI is very smooth and quiet for a derv, i also run a 1.9 CDTI 150 Signum, that is like a tractor in comparison. Is it the 170 unit?

It's the 140bhp version. I've seen another one today and this one is smooth as a nut compared to the other one which definitely indicates there is something wrong with the first car I seen. Moving forwards I have found an 07 reg s line a6 2.0tdi with 112k on clock so in comparison it's one year newer and has 30k less and it's 1k dearer so I'm thinking spend the extra because the mileage difference is a good two years worth of driving for me. Makingaplan.com

Brycie
30-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Result! Look forward to seeing some pics when you get the keys.

Jazzy_A6
01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
What mileage would make you draw a line from purchasing a car?? Is 148k abit tooooo high?? It does have all main dealer history

Jazzy_A6
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Just left deposit on Audi a6 :)

toofunkyhouse
04-12-2012, 11:49 AM
good man, they are great cars. hope you enjoy it!