PDA

View Full Version : Golf VII comparison test and Golf VII Estate

h5djr
28-11-2012, 09:24 PM
In today's Auto Express (28 Nov-4 Nov - no 1245) there is a comparison review between the Golf VII 2.0 TDI GT, a BMW 116d M Sport and Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium and the Golf comes out top.

I thought the comment by one of the testers was particularly good "The new Golf really is all the car you'll ever need, particularly when fitted with the optional Adaptive Chassis Control. It's sharp to drive and as refined and comfortable as most executive cars, plus roomy enough for most families. And with its excellent fuel economy and low emissions, the handsome VW even makes perfect financial sense".

In the same magazine there was also are a couple of spy shots of the Golf VII Estate and the small item with it said that it is due for release at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2013. It also said there was a CC coupe version and the cabriolet version coming in 2014.

J400uk
29-11-2012, 06:13 PM
I'll be interested to hear what they make of it without the ACC and multilink suspension, i.e. a standard S/ SE. Bit worried that won't drive anywhere near as well but we'll see.

Estate spyshots look interesting

http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/1/0/4/5/4/3/0/VW-Golf-VII-Variant-Alltrack-729x486-657b2da7653d9840.jpg

http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/1/0/4/5/4/3/0/VW-Golf-VII-Variant-Alltrack-729x486-f674f68f6e4faab3.jpg

cs2009
30-11-2012, 12:01 PM
In today's Auto Express (28 Nov-4 Nov - no 1245) there is a comparison review between the Golf VII 2.0 TDI GT, a BMW 116d M Sport and Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium and the Golf comes out top.

Autocar are doing another comparative test in this week's magazine.
The Golf comes out 1st, Focus 2nd, A3 3rd, and V40 4th.

If I buy one, it definitely won't be having ACC.
I made that mistake on my current car - it's an abomination which all but ruins the car !

whitehall74
30-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Anyone know when the Golf estate is out? and if a Golf Plus is expected?

J400uk
30-11-2012, 06:19 PM
No ETA on estate yet but its likely it will be sometime in mid-2013 I'd imagine. Golf Plus is expected

thebobster
04-01-2013, 01:49 PM
So another car loses it's handbrake for one of these bloody push button electric jobbies WHY OH WHY do they keep doing this , Why address a problem that never existed ?
*Shakes head*

h5djr
04-01-2013, 02:35 PM
So another car loses it's handbrake for one of these bloody push button electric jobbies WHY OH WHY do they keep doing this , Why address a problem that never existed ?
*Shakes head*

I've never driven a car with an electric handbrake but as the brake releases automatically when you drive away, providing your seat belt in done up, I can see some advantages. I think one of the reasons manufacturers are quite keen on the system is that it is easier to install and takes up less space. In my current A3 I cannot have the centre armrest between the front seats down as it stops me getting at the handbrake. If you are that bothered about it you will have to look at the new 2013 Skoda Octavia which still has a normal handbrake lever.

I am having a test drive in a new Golf VII next Friday so I will let you know what I thing of the new handbrake.

thebobster
04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Well I'd look at the Octavia anyway (had one before and was happy with it) when the time comes to chop mine in , can't see me rushing into swapping as I'm more than happy with my Mk6.

J400uk
24-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Couple of new estate pictures:
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/crisv6/wagonside.jpg?t=1358695163

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/crisv6/wagon.jpg?t=1358695170

juniperz
19-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Just resurrecting an old thread to ask about the estate. There was a piece about it in Autocar when it was shown in Geneva (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2013/geneva-motor-show-volkswagen-golf-estate), but I have heard nothing since then.
Anyone know anything about it? I am due to change my company car in early July and would be interested, but it might be too late for me.

algarve
19-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Just resurrecting an old thread to ask about the estate. There was a piece about it in Autocar when it was shown in Geneva (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2013/geneva-motor-show-volkswagen-golf-estate), but I have heard nothing since then.
Anyone know anything about it? I am due to change my company car in early July and would be interested, but it might be too late for me.

I don't think it will here in July.
I read somewhere it will be later this year

h5djr
19-03-2013, 08:39 PM
According to an article in this month's Volkswagen Driver magazine "UK sales of the new Golf Estate should begin in July, with the first deliveries in October, but prices and specifications will be confirmed closer to the on-sale date"

juniperz
19-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Ah thanks - that's a bit more concrete. Definitely too late for me then. Looks like it could be a Mk3 Octavia 2.0d 150 Elegance Estate then. Another B8 Avant is looking way to expensive on the company car lease costs...

J400uk
19-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Ah thanks - that's a bit more concrete. Definitely too late for me then. Looks like it could be a Mk3 Octavia 2.0d 150 Elegance Estate then. Another B8 Avant is looking way to expensive on the company car lease costs...

New shape Octavia Estate is probably still quite a good buy! I reckon with enough toys it wouldn't feel a million miles away from the Audi. Length is about the same too.

juniperz
19-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes - only 44mm shorter than my Avant, but 610 litre boot instead of 490 and more rear leg room!
Standard part leather / part alcantara, standard SatNav, elec folding mirrors, Driving Mode Select, adjustable lumbar support.
I was tempted by the idea of a Golf Estate for the multi-link rear suspension (only going to come with vRS I think - not out yet either) and the adjustable dampers which don't seem to feature on Skodas at all even if they have the driving mode switch like the Golf.

And on the options - you can get a heated front screen which isn't an option on Audis, and the upgrade to the 8" touch screen is £800 where it is over £1100 to go from 5.8" to 8" in a Golf GT.

algarve
19-03-2013, 11:56 PM
According to an article in this month's Volkswagen Driver magazine "UK sales of the new Golf Estate should begin in July, with the first deliveries in October, but prices and specifications will be confirmed closer to the on-sale date"

Does the article say if it is still to be built in Mexico ?

jagmotorman
22-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Does the article say if it is still to be built in Mexico ?

Asked that question yesterday at a dealer, he recons at least the first ones will be built in Germany. After doing a bit of research it looks like the VW plant in Mexico won't be geared up to produce the Mk7 till later in 2014. If you want a German built car it might be best to put in an order in as soon as it goes on sale. I just hope they don't move production to Mex as I'm sure the parts will be locally sourced and Quality could suffer.