PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Golf Plus V Luna (105 ps) manual 1.9 tdi. Stalling and running on

Tony Robinson
28-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Hello all,

I bought my first VW from a dealer 3 weeks ago. It's also my first diesel.

It's a Golf Plus Luna (105 ps) manual 1.9 tdi and was registered on 1st March 2009. It's done 29000 miles.

There seems to be 3 problems that may be related:

When the engine is warming up it regularly stalls in first gear when changing to second, unless I come off the clutch very slowly.

When the engine is warmed up it seems very slow to reduce speed. I can take my foot off the accelerator at 30mph (in a high gear) and it will go on at least 100 yards before it drops, then not too much.

In slow moving traffic it's difficult to control and I spend half my time with my foot on the clutch or out of gear and braking.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

tompointer
19-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Take it back to the dealer there must be an error code stored,mines same model year with 49k even lives in Coventry ! ,never had any problems like that.
Wonder if its the throttle sensor ?.
Did you get it fixed ?.

Tony Robinson
19-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Take it back to the dealer there must be an error code stored,mines same model year with 49k even lives in Coventry ! ,never had any problems like that.
Wonder if its the throttle sensor ?.
Did you get it fixed ?.

Hello and thanks for the reply,

I took it back to the dealer's garage who had it for 3 days and did over 150 miles 'test driving' it!

They said there was no error code and said they'd found nothing wrong with it.

I'm getting used to it a bit now and I don't stall it as often, but it still increases speed when I don't want it too. Some times it runs smooth & quiet other times it seems noisy, rough and not pleasurable to drive.

Whereabouts in Coventry does it live?

Regards,

Tony

tompointer
20-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Tony,
Eastern Green, Ours seems to run slightly rougher on a frosty morning only whilst warming up but nothing to complain about,all my other diesels were similar.(i still drive petrol too).
I had a problem with clutch judder whilst reversing at approx 1yr old, Listers Cheylesmore fixed this under warranty.
Surely changing from 1st to 2nd and stalling there must be a problem with yours.
This is not the most refined engine but i find it okay.
I had a mondeo 04 yr tdci this was horrid to drive (gearbox,clutch,so easy to stall).
My other diesel was a zafira 1.9cdti 06 yr, this was so unreliable but a very smooth free revving engine.
Does it increase in speed on straight road,or is it a 'surging' whilst going round a bend at lowish speeds, which we've noticed turbo diesels do give this kind of sensation.

Tony Robinson
23-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Tom,

I'm in Styvechale, so not far away.

The car hasn't stalled for 2 days. It increases speed on a straight road at low speeds, especially when you've changed down and come off the clutch. I don't know if it's because it's warmer but it seems a smoother drive. I've just come down the M1 & M69 from Loughborough and it wasn't bad (apart from alot of bouncing about in the slow lane).

zollaf
23-12-2012, 10:05 PM
book an appointment to take the service manager for a test drive and demonstrate what is wrong to him, then leave it with them until they say its fixed. presumably you will have a courtesy car for this time. when you collect it, test drive it first, and if you are not happy, leave it with them and keep their courtesy car. you could even arrange a test drive first in a similar vehicle to help you confirm in your mind that there is most definately a problem with yours. if its a sticky throttle switch, it won't always flag a code as the ecu might not know something is wrong. if you remove your foot from the throttle but it sticks, then as far as the ecu is concerned thats normal as it doesn't know you have removed your foot from the throttle, if that makes sense. a session looking at live data could help confirm it though. just look at the throttle position in relation to what your foot does on the throttle, the graph should follow your foot exactly.

Tony Robinson
23-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks Zollaf, all that makes sense but I want to avoid that garage if possible. They had the car back the other week, used most of my diesel (over 150 miles worth) and scratched the glove box. There's a small stone chip on the windscreen and a couple of stone chips on the bonnet that weren't there before. I might have the throttle switch sensor checked by a different garage after Christmas and if it's faulty, replace it.

Not sure what you mean by live data.