PDA

View Full Version : Question 1999 A4 Estate - A couple of questions

martin1978
27-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi all,

I've recently purchased an A4 1.9tdi estate, 1999, 110bhp. Like it a lot but there are a few niggles I knew about when I bought it that I'd like to get sorted.

I read the forum quite a lot before buying, found it very useful. Have been on Land Rover forums for years and know my way around a toolbox! The vehicle didn't come with a handbook so I'm a little bit stuck with a few things. Got a Haynes on order!

A couple of things I'd like to ask before I pull things to bits though:

1) Sunroof doesn't work. I turn the switch clockwise or anti-clockwise and there's nothing, not a peep. Happy to investgate further but checking I haven't missed something obvious (like a "child-lock" or other switch I need to activate first)? If not I shall work my way through fault finding from teh fuse to teh motor.

2) The "Concert" cassett player has the volume control fault that I've read about here. From what I've read it's an £80 fix for a new chip, and I don't fancy my chances with a second-hand one. I've had a look in Halfords but not found anything that looks like it would suit the vehicle. Can anyone recommend a stereo that matches the current "bland/red" stereo already fitted? I hate bright lights and the current trend for garish stereos. So long as it sounds good and plays my CD's I'm happy! Oh, and it needs to be sub £80 or I may as well get the old one fixed (has a 6 CD changer in the boot so happy to stick with that if needed)

3) The vehicle only came with one key and it wasn't the remote one! Had a quote for £160 for a replacement which seems expensive. I have read on the forum about several DIY methods of doing this but it all sounds like a bit of a minefield. Happy to pay someone to help (especially if you are near Newcastle or Hull), but will stick with using the door locks for £160!

Apart from these "niggles" it seems to be a great vehicle. I got it for a good price and knew about the faults (the rear boot struts also need replacing but I've ordered those).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin

acmo
28-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Martin
Cant help with the sunroof unfortunately but with regards to the stereo, I had the same problem with mine, instead of getting it fixed I just found on on an auction site from an A3 for a mere £30. I would NEVER put in an aftermarket unit, they don't look right!
Remote locking....check the module in the boot (in the offside cuppy hole) if the part number has a suffix A eg(8LO 676 534 A) that unit doesn't support remote locking. I may be corrected but anything after the A suffix (B,C,D.....) does.
You can buy blank key blades on our favorite auction site, along with 3 button remote bodies. You can easily program the remote locking but matching it to the immobilizer will have to be done by a locksmith, garage or a mate with the right machine to get access to your immobilizer. Maybe then you will be able to find which remote body to buy?

martin1978
28-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Hi Acmo, thanks for the reply. Sunroof works today, think pulling the fuse must have cleaned the contact or reset something! Hopefully everything else is an easy fix :biglaugh:

I've been looking on ebay but all of the stereos seem to fetch three times what you paid. Also found out today that the 6 disc changer doesn't have anything in it so will probably take that out. I think this looks nice, and has a rear USB lead that I could put in the glove box. Not essential but I do have an ipod so this might work well for me.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/36971569/Clarion-CZ202ER-Car-Stereo-CD-USB-MP3-WMA-Made-for-iPod-AUX-In/Product.html?searchstring=car+stereo&searchtype=&searchsource=2&searchfilters=s%7bcar+stereo%7d%2bc%7b321%7d%2bc%7 b3215%7d%2bc%7b3217%7d%2b&ob=4&urlrefer=search

Checked the module in the boot and it ends with an "H" so think that will support remote locking. Had a second quote today and that was £150 as well but they needed to get the four digit code from the ecu to determine if they can do it.

Thanks, Martin

DesertForce
30-11-2012, 02:08 PM
In regards to the sunroof, well i had the same problem in a VW Passat from 91. turned out, a cable was dodgy, just at the switch. Also could be the fuse which was mentioned before.

Radios aint really a problem, you can just buy a blend to put an aftermarket radio in. Did that in mine and bought a Sony radio from Halfords ( they are currently half priced, from 50 quid onwards ). It IS an aftermarket radio but fits in quite ok.

In terms of the key, I have a similiar problem and did quite a bit of researching. A standard key without remote you can get cut and programmed for about 70 quid from a 3rd party locksmith. On ebay you can get remote controls with a blank blade and a virgin transponder for about 40 pound. ATTENTION, apparently Audi Garages are not very "good" in programming 3rd party keys and they will charge about 50 pound regardless if it worked or not. According to my local Audi dealer 8-9 out of 10 fail to program. When you found a way, please let me know :)

P.S.: I had a locksmith quoting me about 100 pounds for a remote key readily cut and programmed. Trouble is, it is a 200 mile journey -.-

martin1978
01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I think I'll be fitting the Clarion stereo above. Not paying the ebay proces for a stereo that might have an inheret design fault!

I have been looking at buying the "Super VAG code reader" on ebay. It programmes kys andreads the skc code as well as all of the usual diagnostic stuff. Can be found on ebay for £50. Think that I'd rather spend my money doing the key myself and be left wth a useful dagnostics/servicing tool.

£100 is cheaper than any quote I've had. I was getting quoted £150 for a remote key.

Had my first long run out in it yesterday with the mountain bikes. Drives brilliantly, 5th gear most of the day and hardly used any diesel :arms:

Easily doubled my previous vehicles mpg, if not more, and I wasn't driving particularly slowley. Awesome!

DesertForce
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Before you buy the Clarion have a look at this one:

Halfords | Sony CDX-GT450U CD/MP3 Player (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_81 8317_langId_-1_categoryId_165474)

It does not have IPod control BUT it really fits better as it actually is the correct "red tone" for the lighting around it, at least for my X reg A4 Saloon. If you want, I can get you a picture from it.

martin1978
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Before you buy the Clarion have a look at this one:

Halfords | Sony CDX-GT450U CD/MP3 Player (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_81 8317_langId_-1_categoryId_165474)

It does not have IPod control BUT it really fits better as it actually is the correct "red tone" for the lighting around it, at least for my X reg A4 Saloon. If you want, I can get you a picture from it.

Hi, no need for a pic unless it's easy for you to do, but I would be interested to know if you can change the display text to red? My mates think I'm picky but I really don't like bright lights from stereos/phones when driving at night. Also did you need an adapter cable or did it plug straigh in? I know I will need a fascia plate to cover the gaps.

Thanks, Martin

DesertForce
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I dont think you need an adapter cable, I can not tell you for sure though as there already was an aftermarket radio in. I am quite happy with it as it doesn't appear to be any problem, even when driving at night. I will doublecheck if you can change the colour to red but i do not think so. Will let you know.

DesertForce
01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
just checked, you can not change the colour with this radio. However, it really is not annoying or disturbing as you can see:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3589/20121201161825.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/20121201161825.jpg/)

martin1978
02-12-2012, 04:25 PM
just checked, you can not change the colour with this radio. However, it really is not annoying or disturbing as you can see:

Great, thanks for the info and the pic. It looks really good, much better than I imagined when I saw it on display in Halfords! Will go back and have anothe look next week.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

On another note, just clocked 400 miles since I bought the vehicle. That is some short/cold commutes/shopping trip, a long run on A and B roads with bikes, and a long run up the A1, all at a steady but quick pace and without trying to save fuel. It is early days but it works out at 55mpg over those 400 miles :approve: Steady driving on a long run at the speed limit should see an improvement on that, but if it doesn't I'm more than happy with 55mpg combined!!

To put it into some sort of comaprison, a weekend away and my weekly errands has cost me £46 - in my Land Rover, even trying hard to save fuel, that would have been £115 :aargh4:

The A4 will have paid for itself before the road tax runs out!

DesertForce
02-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Reading all that I wish I would have gone for a diesel :) mine, on a 90 mile journey combined ( most on a motorway though, TRYING to save fuel ) it looks like 35.2 MPG ( If the Boardcomputer works properly that is ). 1.8T Quattro ftw!

However, will do a run from Brighton to Newcastle and back over Christmas. That is well over 800 miles. Will see then.

martin1978
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Reading all that I wish I would have gone for a diesel :)

I would have loved an All-Road but then I'd have been no better off than my Land Rover in terms of mpg, and I know which one is better off-road!

Cleaned out the drain hole under the battery now (thanks to the forum search) and so should keep the footwells dry (noticed they were wet after rain). Changed the cabin filter as well, it was completely black/blocked/collapsed! Of course I don't have a radio code so had to get a new CD player now :p

I have gone for the Philips CEM2100 stereo from Halfords. Looks like it will suit the interior of the A4 well and it has a dim button for night driving :approve: Looks similar to your stereo (red buttons, white display) so it should look good. Also takes a SD card so I can have ALL of my music on it without leads/ipods etc cluttering up the cabin. Just need to fit it now. Audi stereo removal keys on order!

Haynes manual has arrived so I can start learning more about the vehicle. All seems surprisingly simple though to be honest!