PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Ibiza starting problems - electrical?

emmavvv
17-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi

I bought my 1999 1.4s ibiza about a month ago. Firstly I noticed a fault with the stereo, as it wouldnt stay off so I started to take the fuse out overnight as it was draining the battery. Now the unit has been sent off as apparently it is a common fault, so now I have now stereo heater controls etc.

But there is something still draining the battery overnight, although as soon as I jump start it then turn it off immediatly it starts with no problems or hesitation.

Has anyone else come accross this? :1zhelp:

Any reply will be very much apriciated.

Thanks

Emma

vwjoe
22-10-2007, 10:23 PM
How old is the battery? some batteries start loosing charge overnight and it is difficult to start the car in the morning, it happened to me. In my case a new battery solved the problem. If the battery is not the problem then I think you should take the car to a shop so they can detect what´s the circuit that is draining the bat. Those guys have some funny gadgets they use in order to determine if there´s a short circuit in the electrical car system and in what part of the system the short is located

Crasher
22-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. Do you have a multimeter with at least a 10 amp current facility? If so, you should do a drain test and if you find a high drain, say more than 0.2 of an amp, pull each fuse one by one until you find the circuit draining the battery and then you can ID the component.