PDA

View Full Version : Window regulator repair kit

glen poole
23-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi, my drivers front window grinded to a halt where the cable inside the panel has frayed & got stuck. Stripped the door down & removed the cable. Does anyone know if the repair kits that are on ebay are any good? or is it best to use VW?
Many thanks.

Doctle Odd
23-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Are you good at fettleing? The cable can be a bit tricky the cheaper ones more so.

glen poole
23-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Not sure, what's fettleing?

Doctle Odd
23-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Well fettleing in maybe the wrong word, working with small parts and stripping and repairing things. You used to be able to buy a new regulator already on a panel you just switched motors

glen poole
23-11-2012, 10:21 PM
A mate at work had the door apart & everything out in about half hour, i'm hoping it's possible to source just the cable from the dealer?

Doctle Odd
23-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Dealer should have one or be able to source one

OddBallBoy
23-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I bought cheap repair kit off eBay and it was absolute rubbish - went on without too much trouble but failed within a dozen uses. Took apart, appeared to be down to the plastic wheel the cable winds round, the one in the black case that mounts on the motor sprocket. Seems very cheaply made out of poor quality plastic. Rewound it, put it all back together, worked perfectly another dozen times than failed again. Noted that the cable was made of much coarser grade strands than original so not quite as flexible which could also have contributed to the problem.

Not saying all eBay repair kits are pants but the one I bought certainly was.

My passenger window presently up fully with switches taped over as I know next time I use it, it will fail as it graunched horribly last time it went up.

Have a thread in Wanted at the moment for a used cable pulley and case to see if I can bodge a fix - if you do replace and everything works ok, would very much appreciate the old one please - obviously happy to cover p&p
Cheers

caldirun
24-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi, my drivers front window grinded to a halt where the cable inside the panel has frayed & got stuck. Stripped the door down & removed the cable. Does anyone know if the repair kits that are on ebay are any good? or is it best to use VW?
Many thanks.
I think VW will only supply the complete backplate, I bought and fitted one of this sellers repair kits 2 years ago and its still working fine (make sure you put some heavy grease on the cables when you fit)
It is a little tricky first time to remove the backplate but there is a very good "how to" to be found under lock repair if you do a search.
It is worth removing the backplate and sitting comfortably to fit the cables (makes it a simple job, take some photos of the cable installation first)

VW PASSAT WINDOW REGULATOR REPAIR KIT FRONT RIGHT | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-WINDOW-REGULATOR-REPAIR-KIT-FRONT-RIGHT-/260925082165?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3APassat&hash=item3cc058ca35#vi-ilComp)

glen poole
24-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Managed to get one today from the dealers complete with backplate & cables etc attatched & ready to bolt on, just got to connect wireing harness & bolt it all together. Didn't really want to take any chances wth after market products, VW wanted £106 = VAT, got it for £86 all in.

caldirun
24-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Managed to get one today from the dealers complete with backplate & cables etc attatched & ready to bolt on, just got to connect wireing harness & bolt it all together. Didn't really want to take any chances wth after market products, VW wanted £106 = VAT, got it for £86 all in.

Not quite as simple as you say, good luck!

jammy86
26-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I've used eBay kits with good success on both my front windows but it's a tricky job. Saves a lot of cash though. ..

caldirun
26-11-2012, 11:52 PM
I've used eBay kits with good success on both my front windows but it's a tricky job. Saves a lot of cash though. ..
Its a tricky job just to swap the backplate, the cable fitting is not that hard and well worth the £60-£90 saving!

996jimbo
28-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I must say that I agree with the above - getting the plate off and back on was the awkward bit. Fitting the cable itself wasn't too hard.

Sam
28-11-2012, 02:01 PM
For anyone else considering eBay - have a read of this first;

Avoid eBay seller okzam-uk - poor understanding of warranties. (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?131781-Avoid-eBay-seller-okzam-uk-poor-understanding-of-warranties)

Eshrules
28-11-2012, 02:09 PM
thread title spelling fixed

Doctle Odd
28-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Don't expect any help or support from ebay or paypal in their world after 42 days you're on your own..His .co.uk website is on a Romanian server I'd avoid him
For anyone else considering eBay - have a read of this first;

Avoid eBay seller okzam-uk - poor understanding of warranties. (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?131781-Avoid-eBay-seller-okzam-uk-poor-understanding-of-warranties)

Sam
28-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Aye, I didn't even bother with them, I went straight to the seller who proved to be a moron.

He had ample opportunity to fix things, but didn't, now look at what happens when you search the internets for his user/company name.

The power of VWAF is enormous :)

olnmfc
09-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Ok zam is still selling repair cables from an apparently German location on ebay autoteile okzam