PDA

View Full Version : Immobilizer Issue?

Murra85
22-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi Guys,

First post right here, can see myself spending a lot of time on here from now on! lol

I bought my first Audi last night. A 96(N reg?) A4(The 2.6 v6 Version) It has the usual things you would expect to find with a car this age, faint whine from the clutch and crunches going into 3rd sometimes.

However the main problem i can see seems to be an issue with the immobilizer. I bought the car and went straight for petrol but once I had paid etc and went to start the car again the engine turned over but then cut out after 2-3 seconds. I was stuck in the garage for about half n hour(thankfully it was quite light and not busy) eventually for no reason the immobilizer light went off and it started up.

I have established this is quite a common problem with Audis in general? does anyone know anything I can do to perhaps fix this? Will it need to be taken to an Audi dealer and the reader coil replaced perhaps?

Any info would be appreciated(PS I am not the most mechanically minded guy lol, but am eager to learn!

Cheers

Euan

Murra85
22-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Update

Spoke to the guy who i bought it from and it seems he forgot to tell me one of the keys was defective and it if it was used to start the car it spammed the immobilzer out. The defective key can only be used to lock and unlock the car. We shall see if it happens again with the apparently legit key!

Doctle Odd
22-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Get another key cut and coded as a spare or change the transponder in the faulty key