PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mark 7 Ordered

andyCYM
20-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Golf GT 1.4 140 ordered today. Dealer says 'mid-March delivery, subject to confirmation by the factory'. We shall see!

Only extra will be climatronic.

This will be my first petrol motor in 10 years, the low CO2 means the company car tax is much the same as the 2.0TDI and the reviews of the 1.4 seem very positive.

Not seen a mark 7, but happy to take a chance on the basis that I've loved 3 years in the mark 6.

Sat in a new A3 - very nice, but am I alone in thinking Audi have a bit of an image issue these days...?

cs2009
20-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Golf GT 1.4 140 ordered today. Dealer says 'mid-March delivery, subject to confirmation by the factory'. We shall see!

Only extra will be climatronic.

This will be my first petrol motor in 10 years, the low CO2 means the company car tax is much the same as the 2.0TDI and the reviews of the 1.4 seem very positive.

Not seen a mark 7, but happy to take a chance on the basis that I've loved 3 years in the mark 6.

Sat in a new A3 - very nice, but am I alone in thinking Audi have a bit of an image issue these days...?

Congrats on the order. I will very probably be doing the same, although I plan to wait until I have seen one of the Mk7's first, which should be at my dealer in December.

The new GT is extremely well specc'd, and I will probably only add met paint and climatronic. As you say, the reviews of the new 1.4 ACT engine have been hugely positive - it makes a diesel fairly pointless, unless you do a very high mileage.

I have seen the new A3, but didn't like the interior. The quality of the materials is high (although no better than my Mk6 GT Golf), but the general design concept and ergonomics are just dreadful. Adjusting almost everything requires the use of the twiddly knob and menu system. And the single CD player is in the glovebox - what numbskull thought that one up ??!! On the other hand, VW seem to have got the design of the new Golf spot on, using a combination of hardware buttons and touchscreen.

You're right about Audi's image too, although I think Clarkson has a lot to do with that (justified, IMO) !

J400uk
20-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Congrats on the order! I'm potentially interested in the same plus the colour screen multifunction computer.

cs2009 - afraid to say the golf cd player is in the glovebox also!

Trentend
20-11-2012, 11:15 PM
I was going to get the same spec for my next company car but then found pics of the standard halogen headlights - they are naff and you may want to consider the xenons even though they're not cheap (used in all reviews in mags and online).

J400uk
21-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Halogen lights look fine to me, yes xenons look better but not worth the extra. Its the same with any car
http://photo.lacentrale.fr/photo/lc/E1/02/93/E10293778_5.jpg

whitehall74
21-11-2012, 01:40 PM
When are dealers likely to get cars that we can actually sit-in, preferably drive?

cs2009
22-11-2012, 11:56 AM
cs2009 - afraid to say the golf cd player is in the glovebox also!

If you look in the brochure for the new Golf, you will see a CD loading slot just below the touchscreen.
And in the pricelist it says: "Dash-mounted single CD player" on page 6.

cs2009
22-11-2012, 11:58 AM
When are dealers likely to get cars that we can actually sit-in, preferably drive?

My local dealer (Salisbury) says that they will have cars for test driving late December or possibly early January.

whitehall74
22-11-2012, 01:27 PM
My local dealer (Salisbury) says that they will have cars for test driving late December or possibly early January.

Hmm, mine said late January, possibility of seeing one, but not driving in late December

G0rdon
22-11-2012, 06:07 PM
My order was listed on the dealer's system as build week 49 - which is next week! We'll see!! Ordered in the last week of October.

It's been showing on VW's 'Track Order' as build week confirmed for a few weeks but doesn't give the actual week.

GT 1.4 140 5 door, Xenons, 2-Zone climate.

andyCYM
22-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Change of subject, but when I did my order, the lease company offered these options:
Pb2/Wl0 Elec Adjst Vienna Lthr Sprt Seat
Znd Discover Pro
Vienna Leather Inc Heated Frnt Seats
Technic Pack
Discover Nav Pro-touch-screen+dvd Radio
Comfort Pack
Oryx White Premium Paint
3fb Panoramic Roof
Pdd Acc Adaptive Chassis
Pxa Basic Xenons
18in Serron Alloys
9vh Dynaudio Excite
Lane Assist M+mirror Pack
Pfa Lane Assist + Light Assist
Metallic Paint
Pearlescent Paint
Air Conditioning - 2zone
Ph2 Climatronic
Ww1 Winter Pack
Keyless Entry Including Start/Stop
17in Geneva Alloys
17in Singapore Alloys
4x4 Rear Seat Airbags
Business Pack
Pure White Special Paint
Voice Activation For Audio
Rear-view Camera
Park Assist
8g1 Light Assist - High Beam Control
9s6 Multifunction Display Colour
High Beam Assist
Smoking Pack
Exterior Badge Deletion Engine
Exterior Badge Deletion Model And Engine

There's a lot here that's not in the price list. With these options ticked I managed to build a £30k + Golf GT 1.4, which needless to say, I didn't order!

J400uk
22-11-2012, 11:21 PM
If you look in the brochure for the new Golf, you will see a CD loading slot just below the touchscreen.
And in the pricelist it says: "Dash-mounted single CD player" on page 6.

I have looked in the brochure thanks. When you sit inside a UK model you will not see a CD slot below the touchscreen, it will be inside the glovebox as per my earlier post. Picture below:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x267/J400uk/c894a937582f.jpg

There's a lot here that's not in the price list. With these options ticked I managed to build a £30k + Golf GT 1.4, which needless to say, I didn't order!

Ah that's interesting, wasn't aware of a lot of those options either. Maybe they aren't available yet? Quite a few missing from the online configurator also.

cs2009
23-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I have looked in the brochure thanks. When you sit inside a UK model you will not see a CD slot below the touchscreen, it will be inside the glovebox as per my earlier post.

This is incorrect.

I spoke to someone at VW UK today, and he confirmed that all UK cars get the Composition media system with dash mounted CD player (as it says in the brochure). The GT version also gets SD card sat nav, but still retains the same media system as the S and SE models. He also added quite specifically that the CD player is NOT in the glovebox, boot or anywhere else other than the dash.

J400uk
23-11-2012, 05:12 PM
This is incorrect.

I spoke to someone at VW UK today, and he confirmed that all UK cars get the Composition media system with dash mounted CD player (as it says in the brochure). The GT version also gets SD card sat nav, but still retains the same media system as the S and SE models. He also added quite specifically that the CD player is NOT in the glovebox, boot or anywhere else other than the dash.

No something has got lost in translation here. I've checked (again) and the only radio that might have a dash mounted CD player is the Composition Colour, but we don't get that in the UK. We are only getting the Composition Media (S/ SE) and the Discover Media version with Nav in the GT. They share the same glovebox mounted CD player/ SD card unit as pictured above. Take a look at what I posted in this thread also Golf MK7 - Anyone "SEEN" the standard SAT NAV yet !! (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?138796-Golf-MK7-Anyone-quot-SEEN-quot-the-standard-SAT-NAV-yet-!!&p=757043#post757043)

And to quote from the press release: The Composition Media radio can have a navigation module (Discover Media) added to it. The features and functions are identical except for the navigation system that is then integrated with European map data and the associated second SD card slot; the navigation computer is located in the glovebox together with the CD player and SD card slot

Don't really see the issue myself anyway as I'd only use SD cards and Bluetooth streaming for music, and if it was a CD wouldn't want to change whilst driving so glovebox is fine :)

andyCYM - Sorry for taking your thread off topic!

cs2009
23-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Then talk to VW UK yourself if you don't believe me !

The pic you have posted is almost certainly a CD multichanger, which is not available on the UK model (or at least, it is not currently in the price list), and they normally do reside in the glovebox. The whole point of a single CD player is that you would most likely need to change CDs whilst driving, so a glovebox mounted version would be dangerous. Only multichangers go in the glovebox.

On edit:
Just spoken to VW UK again, and they confirmed that what I am saying is true.
The guy also commented that since there is currently only one car in the country (in N. Ireland), it is highly unlikely that any pictures posted in forums like this one will be for UK spec cars !

J400uk
23-11-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/inc/images/laugh.gif

OK then. Can't wait to see the UK specific radio they are talking about! Can only wonder what was going through the engineers head in Germany when they got told they had to design an entire new radio for our market as "Only multichangers go in the glovebox"...

This reminds me of the time they told me my car had a chain driven engine when you could physically see the cambelt under the cover

cs2009
23-11-2012, 08:08 PM
So you are right and VW is wrong ?

Your arrogance is quite absurd.

J400uk
23-11-2012, 08:13 PM
So you are right and VW is wrong ?

Its VW UK who are wrong.

If you read a few posts up you'll see my quote from Volkswagen themselves confirming the location of the CD unit.

Lets leave it at that as this is getting silly now and has taken OPs thread totally off-topic.

cs2009
23-11-2012, 08:23 PM
There are dozens of close-up photos from various reviews of the new Golf, both online and in print, which clearly show the slot underneath the screen (including the nav versions), just where VW UK say it is.

As I said, your photo shows the autochanger.

J400uk
23-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Feel free to post them, but that contradicts what you said earlier today - "it is highly unlikely that any pictures posted in forums like this one will be for UK spec cars"

And as I said, my photo shows the navigation computer together with the CD player and SD card slot.

I think the confusion comes from the fact it looks like there is a CD player on the head unit, but its actually just a black strip (maybe its the proximity sensor?), see picture below:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x267/J400uk/cs2009.png

Take a look at this higher res photo also - 403 - Forbidden (http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2013-golf/1600x1200/wallpaper_44.htm)

Anyway I've made my point and have better things to do this evening.

cs2009
23-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Well I will be viewing and hopefully driving one of the cars in about a months time, and will be able to confirm that VW UK do actually know what they are selling !

Trentend
24-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Halogen lights look fine to me, yes xenons look better but not worth the extra. Its the same with any car
http://photo.lacentrale.fr/photo/lc/E1/02/93/E10293778_5.jpg
Agreed these actually look ok. Is this an SE or GT?

J400uk
24-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Its either an S or SE I believe (European models have different trim levels) but the Halogen lights on all UK models should look like that

glospete
25-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi All
I'm a newbie to Golfs and this Forum so be gentle!
I've just ordered a Golf Mk7 and because it is to be my "retirement car" and as I plan to keep it a long time I went heavy on the spec so that I won't EVER think at a later date that I should have added this or that!
So I ordered:
Golf GT 1.4 TSI ACT DSG

Deep Black Pearl with Marrakesh Leather

17" Dijon wheels (standard)

Gas discharge (Bi-Xenon) lights

Vienna leather + electric seats

Winter pack

Discover Navigation Pro

Air conditioning - 2Zone

ACC (adaptive chassis control)

Multifunction colour display

Park assist

Rear view camera
Fixed price service plan

Yes I know it's expensive but I got a good discount so I feel better for that!
Because no VW dealer has any paint or upholstery samples at this stage I trawled the internet and found what I think will be a nice combination - personal opinion but I think it'll look nice!

I have to say (again, personal opinion) but the range of colours is pretty unexciting - where are the metallic browns etc?
I have been quoted March delivery (12-16 weeks) but as I don't want it until after 1 March that's no problem.
There does seem some confusion over the CO2 for this engine - the VW UK brochure says 112 for the DSG version, the price list says 110 and the German brochure says 110. So we'll see!
There was also another "error" and that was the price of the Discover Pro satnav. The UK price list says £1650 but the GT already comes with the Discover. The SE doesn't and that was quoted at £735 for the Discover and £1690 for the Discover Pro. So there was a huge discrepancy - VW have seen this and have now reduced the Discover Pro upgrade for the GT to £1100 - still expensive but at least bearable.
I will be carefully studying all your posts to see what others order.

cs2009
26-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Should be a great car.

There is one thing I would advise against however, and that is the adaptive chassis control. I have it on my car, and it doesn't really work that well. The problem is that it only varies the damping (but not the spring rates), so you end up with a suspension that is almost always highly compromised (wrong combination of spring and damper rates). I find that the 'Normal' and 'Sport' settings are far too jiggly and uncomfortable, so I have it always set to 'Comfort'. That's fine on reasonably smooth roads, but it crashes and bangs badly over potholes - often bottoming out the springs.

A while ago, I tested the Mk.6 GTI with the standard suspension, and that was leagues better than my car. It was still firm yes, but had so much better control, and yet was more comfortable than mine. According to the reviews, the Mk.7 Golf is supposed to be outstandingly good for ride quality, and the GT version is slightly stiffer but still comfortable, so I would ditch the ACC, definitely.

glospete
26-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I appreciate your thoughts and experience on ACC. Does anyone else out there have experience of ACC on the Golf? Would you have it again?

jagmotorman
28-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I have ACC on my Scirocco (1.4) and find it doesn't makemuch difference what setting it's put on. Looking at getting a Mk7 after theRoc and would def not spec it - spend some of the cash saved on something more useful.

DR_A6
28-11-2012, 11:54 PM
I have the ACC on my scirocco and I must say i nearly always drive in comfort as does my wife. The only time i use sport setting is when i am giving it some on country roads and i must say its great, no suspension crashing out, nicely stiffer steering and i think better throttle response.

I am about to replace the scirocco with a M7 golf and thinking about ACC or not.

glospete
29-11-2012, 09:00 AM
The cars which were available to journalists at the launch in Sardinia were (I believe) all fitted with ACC and the reports are universally positive. I just read Auto Express this week and they were testing a Golf GT 2.0TDI and their comment was "our car was fitted with the excellent £795 Adaptive Chassis Control dampers which deliver an amazingly supple ride". Owen Mildenhall concluded "The new Golf is really all the car you'll ever need, particularly when fitted with the optional Adaptive Chassis Control".

So my conclusion is that the ACC maybe works better on the Mark VII than the Mark VI as every report seems very positive. But I do thank you guys for your experience but I think though that I'll leave the order as is and go for ACC. I'll report back when I get it!

One oddity is that from the driving mode screen (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Eco and Individual) you access the settings screen and it has both ACC and DCC setting on it which is odd as I thought they were the same thing! Or maybe ACC (in this instance) stands for Active Cruise Control? I am confused!

cs2009
29-11-2012, 10:46 AM
So my conclusion is that the ACC maybe works better on the Mark VII than the Mark VI as every report seems very positive. But I do thank you guys for your experience but I think though that I'll leave the order as is and go for ACC. I'll report back when I get it!

Perhaps, but more likely it is simply that the Mk.7 has a stiffer body shell, which allows better suspension dynamics. The ACC is a red herring.

I would strongly suggest having a test drive of the current Golf or Scirocco with and without ACC and decide for yourself. Try it over rough country roads too. I have found that potholes cause the suspension to crash and bang alarmingly. Often I have been convinced that it is broken, but having driven other cars with the ACC fitted, they all do it. The standard suspension is much better.

The £700 I spent on ACC was money down the drain, and as jagmotorman said: spend it it on something else.

whitehall74
30-11-2012, 01:53 PM
The cars which were available to journalists at the launch in Sardinia were (I believe) all fitted with ACC and the reports are universally positive. I just read Auto Express this week and they were testing a Golf GT 2.0TDI and their comment was "our car was fitted with the excellent £795 Adaptive Chassis Control dampers which deliver an amazingly supple ride". Owen Mildenhall concluded "The new Golf is really all the car you'll ever need, particularly when fitted with the optional Adaptive Chassis Control".

So frustrating the reviews are always of top spec cars with loads of added options on. I get why they do it but it means it's not that helpful for potential buyers

cs2009
03-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I think the confusion comes from the fact it looks like there is a CD player on the head unit, but its actually just a black strip (maybe its the proximity sensor?)......

Just been looking through the brochure for the new Seat Leon, which has a very similar dash layout to the new Golf, including the same black strip below the touchscreen:

Seat have confirmed that the strip is indeed the CD player. The strip folds inwards when you push a CD against it, then the internal mechanism grabs hold of the disc and swallows it.

J400uk
03-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Just a heads up for anyone considering ordering, I had an email today saying VW are having a price increase with effect from 2nd January

Just been looking through the brochure for the new Seat Leon, which has a very similar dash layout to the new Golf, including the same black strip below the touchscreen:

Seat have confirmed that the strip is indeed the CD player. The strip folds inwards when you push a CD against it, then the internal mechanism grabs hold of the disc and swallows it.

Hmm I'm still sceptical, will have to wait and see I guess. Leon head unit is slightly different.

noonoo63
05-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi,

Just for info I received an e mail from Carbuzz today saying that the Mark 7 Golf 's price would not be increased in January.

DR_A6
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Change of subject, but when I did my order, the lease company offered these options:
Pb2/Wl0 Elec Adjst Vienna Lthr Sprt Seat
Znd Discover Pro
Vienna Leather Inc Heated Frnt Seats
Technic Pack
Discover Nav Pro-touch-screen+dvd Radio
Comfort Pack
Oryx White Premium Paint
3fb Panoramic Roof
Pdd Acc Adaptive Chassis
Pxa Basic Xenons
18in Serron Alloys
9vh Dynaudio Excite
Lane Assist M+mirror Pack
Pfa Lane Assist + Light Assist
Metallic Paint
Pearlescent Paint
Air Conditioning - 2zone
Ph2 Climatronic
Ww1 Winter Pack
Keyless Entry Including Start/Stop
17in Geneva Alloys
17in Singapore Alloys
4x4 Rear Seat Airbags
Business Pack
Pure White Special Paint
Voice Activation For Audio
Rear-view Camera
Park Assist
8g1 Light Assist - High Beam Control
9s6 Multifunction Display Colour
High Beam Assist
Smoking Pack
Exterior Badge Deletion Engine
Exterior Badge Deletion Model And Engine

Hi,

I had a chat with the dealer today and they stated that there was no stereo upgrade, and also checked the german brochures. Anybody else heard anything on this?

Also - any clues as to when the GTD will be out and what the spec will be? I need to decide on the next lease car for my wife and it currently boils down to Golf, which has a top spec, BMW 120d, new SEAT Leon 2.0d FR, or a new A3 which seems a bit pricey by comparison.. Wife has stated that she wants something a bit sporty inside. Current scirocco goes back in March.

good to get your thoughts chaps...

J400uk
05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
GTD should share the same 184PS 2.0 TDI as the Leon. Initial reviews very promising, strong performance and good economy. Co2 will be under the 119g/ km bracket. Expect similar spec to GT with some GTI styling elements and interior additions such as Climate and colour screen computer.

DR_A6
05-12-2012, 11:35 PM
hmmm thats what is tempting, any ideas when it is due for delivery? May / June?

Evil Dan
06-12-2012, 07:39 AM
There does seem some confusion over the CO2 for this engine - the VW UK brochure says 112 for the DSG version, the price list says 110 and the German brochure says 110. So we'll see!

This is a screenshot from the brochure which has been up on VW's site for over a month and remains unchanged. Definitely showing the DSG as 110gCO2/km with the manual at 112gCO2/km. I'll be claiming mine against tax for business use and it's critical to hit the 110 level to be able to claim the full value of the car against tax in the first year so I've made absolutely sure the 110g is correct!

Might as well join in and say what I've ordered:

GT 1.4 TSi ACT DSG
Night Blue Metallic
Black leather electric seats
Bi-Xenon headlights
Discover Nav Pro
Rear airbags
2Zone climate control
Keyless entry
ACC
High beam assist
Lane assist
Colour MF display
Park assist
Rear-view camera
3 yr Service plan
5 yr warranty

Got an excellent discount through a broker (about 12%) plus with the tax relief it seems silly not to make the most of the options list.

The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was heated washer jets (everything else in the winter pack comes with the bi-xenons and leather seats) but I wasn't paying full whack for the winter pack for something I could get fitted at a later stage if I wanted. I see that there is now a £260 option for the winter pack with leather seats, but that's still far too much. It'll be more critical to have washer fluid that does not freeze than heated jets anyway.

lozzer
06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi,
just a couple of questions is there a tow bar option on the mark 7?
Any thoughts on the sunroof option?

A broker discount was mentioned.
Never used a broker. How does it work and what are the risks, if any?
thanks

whitehall74
06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
thanks

Carbuzz have a 10% discount on orders - Mk7 VW Golf Deals - Large Discounts Available Already | carbuzz.co.uk (http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Mk7-Golf-Deals-313)

They aren't brokers though as you buy direct from the dealers, think they have just negotiated discounts with them.

I signed up and only received one quote, was from a dealer which gave just over 10% off they quoted March for delivery. You get the dealer's name and I checked theyre a real dealer so don't see how it's riskier from buying from anywhere else.

(http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Mk7-Golf-Deals-313)

lozzer
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Carbuzz have a 10% discount on orders - Mk7 VW Golf Deals - Large Discounts Available Already | carbuzz.co.uk (http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Mk7-Golf-Deals-313)

They aren't brokers though as you buy direct from the dealers, think they have just negotiated discounts with them.

I signed up and only received one quote, was from a dealer which gave just over 10% off they quoted March for delivery. You get the dealer's name and I checked theyre a real dealer so don't see how it's riskier from buying from anywhere else.

(http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Mk7-Golf-Deals-313)

Just done that. Looks good :-)

Thanks

Evil Dan
07-12-2012, 06:01 AM
thanks

Personally I used UK Car Broker (http://www.ukcarbroker.co.uk/) who were quick to reply to emails and put me in touch with the actual dealer when I had a query. The order was placed with the dealer directly so it's the same as if you'd just gone into your local dealer and placed the order there - I have the order sheet that has been sent to VW and also I can see my order on their tracking webpage. The only difference being UKCB will get a commission from the dealer (I didn't have to pay them anything) and you will get a discount.

J400uk
07-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Found another picture earlier where they don't look nice at all, starting to think maybe Xenons will be needed
http://staticclub.caradisiac.com/1/actualite-automobile/golf-7-2/photo/651604651/28037973a0/golf-7-2-img_0691-img.jpg
http://staticclub.caradisiac.com/1/actualite-automobile/golf-7-2/photo/651604651/2803792fae/golf-7-2-img_0690-img.jpg

steve67
13-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Personally I used UK Car Broker (http://www.ukcarbroker.co.uk/) who were quick to reply to emails and put me in touch with the actual dealer when I had a query. The order was placed with the dealer directly so it's the same as if you'd just gone into your local dealer and placed the order there - I have the order sheet that has been sent to VW and also I can see my order on their tracking webpage. The only difference being UKCB will get a commission from the dealer (I didn't have to pay them anything) and you will get a discount.

same as drive the deal....