PDA

View Full Version : Been offered a decent looking deal on a q7 - decisions, decisions.

08a6
20-11-2012, 11:31 AM
so, long story short, had a couple of issues with my 2.0tdi.

it's all been rectified now and i do really love the car but I have always wanted a q7.

to swap or not to swap, that is the question??

the q7 is a '56 with 80k on the clock 3.otdi, mine is an 08 plate 2.0 sline with 50 on the clock.

He is asking for mine plus £2k.

Rosscow
20-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Can you afford the running costs?! I dread to think what size tyres it has :D

I have no idea if it's a good deal or not.

What spec is it, what options does it have?

gupsterg
20-11-2012, 02:28 PM
The 3.0 TDi in the Q7 is the same as A6... the chain issue... injectors... swirl flaps/motors... IMO 07/57 plate is minimum to bypass chain tensioner, get better factory fit injectors....

All above heavy £££... my mate rang today (4.2 TDi Q7 08) and said he got quoted £50 to have a rear brake bulb and halogen headlight bulb changed at Audi...

I said I'll do it for £25 and he can spend time with a friend :biglaugh:

I like idea of Q7 (so does wife!) but owning one maybe not... I had one for a whole day 3.0 TDi quattro with reversing cam, power tail gate, adaptive suspension,etc...

Later when I got back in A6 I knew she was still the one :approve:

c4a5er
20-11-2012, 02:52 PM
We have just got out of a Touareg which is much the same mechanically, trust me you will find it a costly beast to run and maintain. Apart from the engine issues already mentioned check out the propshaft failures they suffer which is well over a grand via the Dealer, although you can now get refurbished shafts independently. DO NOT attempt to run one without a warranty or it could bankrupt you!

EssexGonzo
20-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Hopefully, you posted this question on the C6 section expecting some "challenging" feedback.......

Why on earth would anybody buy such a fugly car? The benefits over an A6 avant are, erm, well I suppose you sit high up. And that's about it. It's a minger.

I have a couple of mates with them and they willingly admit that they bought it because they think it enhances their self image. (I.e. makes them look more impressive).

I'd rather have an X5.....and I loathe them!

Maybe you should post the same question in the Q7 section....? :-)

Gavin0478
20-11-2012, 09:06 PM
7 seats is a bonus.

Guest 2
20-11-2012, 09:36 PM
the handbrake in the q7 is stupid - the whole malarkey with the foot brake (stole off mercedes?!) and then pulling the thing out of the dash to apply it whats going on there?!

get a facelift a6 3.0tdi imo.

s7gpt
20-11-2012, 10:59 PM
as Clarkson said, the only real off roader is a land rover :D

Gavin0478
20-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Naa a uni-mog...

M3 Compact
21-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Hopefully, you posted this question on the C6 section expecting some "challenging" feedback.......

Why on earth would anybody buy such a fugly car? The benefits over an A6 avant are, erm, well I suppose you sit high up. And that's about it. It's a minger.

I have a couple of mates with them and they willingly admit that they bought it because they think it enhances their self image. (I.e. makes them look more impressive).

I'd rather have an X5.....and I loathe them!

Maybe you should post the same question in the Q7 section....? :-)

Agreed with large portions of that, Gonzo...

Much as I'm in the VAG camp ATM, I have a specific 5hitty stick that I use solely for not touching Q7s with......
They £scare £me.

Loathe X5s too - very recently dispatched my petrol V8 X5 to the land of 4WD A6 Avant replacement and my sleeping pattern has yet to 'look back'. ;)

Guest 2
21-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Only realised this is in the c6 section (oops) but now moved to q7.

nobbyuk
29-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I had a Q for just over a year. If the job hadn't moved further away I would still have her.
Perfect for holidays with the two dogs and all our kit. Only just enough room for it all in the A6 and the dogs don't appreciate the smaller boot.

On the downside, those 21" wheels (assuming an S-Line) require tyres at roughly £240 a corner. You can argue about whether the quattro requires all four to be changed at the same time. MPG is not great, very rarely got above 25. Best I had was 27 and then only on a long journey. I did have a heavy foot though. It has a 100l tank, so filling up makes for some interesting numbers.

If you can afford to run it, and have a need for a car that size, then go for it.

the handbrake in the q7 is stupid - the whole malarkey with the foot brake (stole off mercedes?!) and then pulling the thing out of the dash to apply it whats going on there?!

That footbrake and release set up was on my first car when I passed my test in the US thirty odd years ago. I never used it then, and didn't with the Q.