PDA

View Full Version : Heater control repair

Humph7ey
19-11-2012, 10:17 AM
The sleeve anchor points had all broken off and after seeing some of the prices (£100) of new units and one example on Ebay (also broken as it happens) i decided to repair mine.

Basically a piece of beech plywood 6mm thick, was used to extend the rear by a inch with an underlap of two inches, fixed with wood screws.
The missing pieces of plastic on the two lower places was tidied up and replaced with the same plywood extending to the rear. The two upper connections were replaced with 10 x 2 mm plate suitably screwed to the base after chiseling away the plastic to form a level surface. The lower connections were replaced with the same plywood glued to the base. Clips were made and secured with wood screws to the lower two and threaded 4 mm for the uppers. It is important to remember that there must be clearance to "swing" the control wires under.
Clips are easy to make if you have a vice and hammer. Beat over to right angle 5mm extending out of the vise then withdraw another 5mm and beat to the desired shape. Cut off and finish.
Re assembly of the unit was far easier than I thought. One tip I would say to identify the correct wires before removal, but if that is not possible, then they can be identified by the sound of the flaps being closed.
It now seems far stronger than the original.